LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme

viking

11 minutes ago, OhBoy said:

@viking would it be possible to have an alternate OLED compatible version that is exactly the same with every view except the list view (TextGamesView.xaml) be an opposite layout from the other views? So the game video is on the left, and options like "Play" "Launch with" etc are on the right? This would help keep OLED TVs from burning in since the game videos would alternate sides of the screen depending on if you're in the game details or not. Here's an example of what I mean:

example.thumb.png.4a3bcb6b540ef29ab86d3b099352b2e9.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Its impossible to have more than one text list view im afraid. Also i would relax a little with your OLED burn in worry's, just dont leave it on exactly the same static image for hours on end and you will be fine.

Ok thanks, I have been very worried about it. I ordered my first OLED yesterday actually, and have been questioning if it was the right choice. Your advice puts me at ease. Thank you!

As someone who spent a ton of money on an OLED about 3 years ago, I'll just chime in and say that after playing about 100 hours of Zelda BotW there is *definitely* burn in on my screen where the hearts are in the upper left corner.  Basically, a front end like Launchbox/Bigbox isn't going to be much of an issue for burn in.  You'll be in the front end very little compared to the various games you're going to launch from it.  Any game that you're going to play for dozens of hours that has a static HUD/GUI is going to be the most likely thing to give you problems.

What I've decided to do in my home is use the big screen OLED for quick games and things I can jump in and out of with friends on the couch.  If I'm going to play a game and I think it's going to take me longer than 20 or 30 hours of total playtime to finish it (RPG's for example), I will only play those on my gaming monitor or LED tv.

Eventually Micro-LED will fix all these issues, but for now, be careful with your OLED.  :)

Edited by Clavius
edited for clarity

Hi all !
Some news from France :

We are all in quarantine here, at home, with children. I could organize myself to work from home.
But yes, work at home with children around : "Nightmare! Playing Mode" ?
1-83JrA5w306gphEp8RCoYow.png.54b5ab1790700fdea071565125fec39f.png
So it'll be difficult for me to work on Colorful updates, with all that to manage.
As usual, I'll do my best to send you all of this as soon as possible!

Take care of yourself ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, viking said:

Hi all !
Some news from France :

We are all in quarantine here, at home, with children. I could organize myself to work from home.
But yes, work at home with children around : "Nightmare! Playing Mode" ?
1-83JrA5w306gphEp8RCoYow.png.54b5ab1790700fdea071565125fec39f.png
So it'll be difficult for me to work on Colorful updates, with all that to manage.
As usual, I'll do my best to send you all of this as soon as possible!

Take care of yourself ?

Looking forward to the next update with the DLL fixes as noted in the support thread, but absolutely prioritize your kids/family given the current situation. 

As a silver lining you could try to think of it as a small break lol.

This is not a bug. Problem addressed, some post/page back.
In LaunchBox, Genesis and MegaDrive are two separate platforms. For the moment, I have only done the MegaDrive video. So there is only this platform which has a color in the theme.
As soon as I make the Genesis video, there will be a color in the theme.

In the meantime, you can manually add the color "MegaDrive" to the "Genesis" platform, in the theme. (In fact, it will probably be the same in the end)

Unzip and put this file : Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a-Colors.dll.zip
Here :   \LaunchBox\Themes\Colorful\Plugins\Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a\AssemblyConfig

The only difference: I put the color of the MegaDrive video, for the Platform Genesis.
It should work well.

• The Cake is a Lie 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 6:35 PM, LiveFastCyYoung said:

Joined the Patreon last night. Can't wait for that Genesis video. :)

A HUGE thank you to you for the support!  ?
Difficult for me to move forward with strict quarantine in France, but I do my best!

On 4/6/2020 at 11:49 AM, oblivioncth said:

Just to make sure I'm not missing something, there is no dark theme for the Games View yet, correct?

As in the menu you get to once you've selected a game and you have the option to Play?

There is a dark version for all GamesView, except the TextGamesView.
Because there can only be one per theme.
And yes, the TextGamesView and also the GamePlayOption view. Same file.
The next step is to divide the theme into 2 separate versions: Light and Dark.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, viking said:

A HUGE thank you to you for the support!  ?
Difficult for me to move forward with strict quarantine in France, but I do my best!

There is a dark version for all GamesView, except the TextGamesView.
Because there can only be one per theme.
And yes, the TextGamesView and also the GamePlayOption view. Same file.
The next step is to divide the theme into 2 separate versions: Light and Dark.

Ah, I can see how you can't even set a different TextGamesView in the options. It isn't a huge deal since generally a very little time is spent on that screen (usually just for a couple seconds before launching the game), so I'm fine waiting until there is a dedicated dark version.

I was finally able to try it out otherwise though now that my collection is almost done being set up and do really like it, so I also joined the patreon. It's barely anything because I can't afford much, but wanted to contribute something rather than nothing.

Edited by oblivioncth

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Download a logo, name it the same as the platform and put it in Launchbox/Images/Platforms/name of platform/Clear Logo.

Ah, thanks! That explains it. I also realized I just have the one game there and was running into problems with the emulator anyway, so I got rid of it.

4 minutes ago, oblivioncth said:

Thats strange though, it's supposed to use text for platforms without clear logos. Its almost like you had a logo file that was nothing but transparency.

It does use text, but the text is white and he is using the white version of the theme so it is white text on a white background.