LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme

viking

Here we are! Finally!!   The end of the BETA for the theme! ?
Thank you for your patience!

I tried to integrate your main requests and refine the existing view as much as possible.
The only point not finalized: the scanline effect. I integrated it, it's in the code, but disabled because I can't have the desired effect.
As it is, the scanline covers the entire video area and works well ... except for square or vertical ratio video. Then, The effect overflows the SnapVideo to go over the background ... and it's very ugly!
I'm trying to fix this for next release !

You can already download the theme on the forum. It will be available in BigBox tool as soon as Jason is validated.

For the occasion, I made a new quick presentation video.   (A little ugly, but the old one was too dated)

Version 1.0 - Released October 16, 2020

•  New Feature: (both) In game views, FrontBox now fade out after 4sec, to clear the view on video.
  •  Improvement: (both) In all GamesView, replace the "Platform Name" by "Game Genre". Thx to RedSnake !
  •  Improvement: (both) Speed optimization on GamesViews, identical to platform.
  •  Improvement: (both) New ClearLogo set, depending on the Light or Dark version. (Please clean your cache)
  •  Improvement: (both) Massive PNG size optimization.
  •  Fixed: (dark) "PlatformWheel2FiltersView" now displays the dark arrows.
  • Fixed: (both) "Wheel2GamesView" fix "5-Player Simultaneous" display.
  • Add all last video color HEX code for Platform & Playlist.

Hope you like it ! ?

Edited by viking
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 2

Thanks! It's looking great!

And I want to update on the "all green" bug! After months of this issue with nothing to fix it, I finally found the solution!

The playtime tracker plugin I had installed from the forums caused this problem. I created a new Launchbox folder and started cleaning / deleting one folder at the time to eliminate and narrow down the problem. I installed it quite a while ago, but I guess it is this one: 

I have seen several people report the same problem I had, so it's worth noting this for future references of people having the same problem as I did. Now the colors per console works perfectly. Only exception being consoles which doesn't have a colorful video assigned to it, then it resets back to the green.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2020 at 11:27 PM, OdinsPlayground said:

Thanks! It's looking great!

And I want to update on the "all green" bug! After months of this issue with nothing to fix it, I finally found the solution!

The playtime tracker plugin I had installed from the forums caused this problem. I created a new Launchbox folder and started cleaning / deleting one folder at the time to eliminate and narrow down the problem. I installed it quite a while ago, but I guess it is this one: 

I have seen several people report the same problem I had, so it's worth noting this for future references of people having the same problem as I did. Now the colors per console works perfectly. Only exception being consoles which doesn't have a colorful video assigned to it, then it resets back to the green.

Nice !!! Thank you for your research !!
The plugin I use for colors was specially developed by @eatkinola. So I can't do much about it, sorry!

On 10/23/2020 at 6:58 PM, EMH said:

This is awesome! Best theme for Big Box ever, bar none! Quick question. Where can I get all clear logos for all consoles? Only piece missing for my build!

Thx !!
ClearLogos are automatically downloaded by LaunchBox during platform / games import.
I added some in this theme only because of my all white or black background. A white logo on a white background: invisible.

How do I go about forcing the video's into the top right corner?

<!-- ================================================================= -->
            <!-- MAIN VIDEO, ON THE RIGHT ======================================== -->
            <transitions:TransitionPresenter x:Name="vidsource" Grid.Column="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="16" Grid.Row="0" Grid.RowSpan="15" TransitionSelector="{Binding ImageVideoTransitionSelector}" Content="{Binding ImageVideoView}" IsContentVideo="True" Visibility="Hidden"/>
            <Border Grid.Column="7" Grid.ColumnSpan="9" Grid.Row="1" Grid.RowSpan="13">
                <Border.Background>
                    <VisualBrush Visual="{Binding ElementName=vidsource, Path=Content}" x:Name="VideoRatio" Stretch="UniformToFill" AlignmentX="Center" AlignmentY="Center"/>
                </Border.Background>

</Border>

Here is what I have tried. It didnt work.

<!-- MAIN VIDEO, ON THE RIGHT ======================================== -->
            <transitions:TransitionPresenter x:Name="vidsource" Grid.Column="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="16" Grid.Row="0" Grid.RowSpan="15" TransitionSelector="{Binding ImageVideoTransitionSelector}" Content="{Binding ImageVideoView}" IsContentVideo="True" Visibility="Hidden"/>
            <Border Grid.Column="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="16" Grid.Row="0" Grid.RowSpan="15">
                <Border.Background>
                    <VisualBrush Visual="{Binding ElementName=vidsource, Path=Content}" x:Name="VideoRatio" Stretch="UniformToFill" AlignmentX="Right" AlignmentY="Top" />
                </Border.Background>

I also tried HorizontalAlignment but that just crashes.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do. The video is already animated to go to the right.
But here is the design principle :

I use the Ao.BigBox.Themer plugin from EatKinola to give absolute pixel values and keep it responsive depending on your reel resolution. 
So I give value in px on a 4K basis of 3840x2160px. 
Here : 718px.

<!-- RESPONSIVE SIZE CONVERTER ======================================= -->

<aox:DimensionW3840Converter x:Key="DimensionW3840Converter" />
        <sys:Double x:Key="ConvertVideoSlideRight">718</sys:Double>

The movement of the video is not managed by the display, but by the animation. 
So this is where I call the pixel value:

<!-- ANIMATION - PLATFORM VIDEO - RIGHT SLIDE -->
            <DoubleAnimationUsingKeyFrames Storyboard.TargetProperty="X" Storyboard.TargetName="PlatformVideoAnim">
                <EasingDoubleKeyFrame KeyTime="0:0:0.0" Value="0" />
                <EasingDoubleKeyFrame KeyTime="0:0:2.0" Value="0">
                    <EasingDoubleKeyFrame.EasingFunction>
                        <CubicEase EasingMode="EaseInOut"/>
                    </EasingDoubleKeyFrame.EasingFunction>
                </EasingDoubleKeyFrame>
                <EasingDoubleKeyFrame KeyTime="0:0:3.0" Value="{Binding Source={StaticResource ConvertVideoSlideRight}, Converter={StaticResource DimensionW3840Converter}}">
                    <EasingDoubleKeyFrame.EasingFunction>
                        <CubicEase EasingMode="EaseInOut"/>
                    </EasingDoubleKeyFrame.EasingFunction>
                </EasingDoubleKeyFrame>
            </DoubleAnimationUsingKeyFrames>

Finally, I call the video element in XAML.

<!-- MAIN VIDEO with SLIDE ANIMATION ================================= -->

<transitions:TransitionPresenter x:Name="PlatformVideo" Grid.Column="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="12" Grid.Row="0" Grid.RowSpan="11" Content="{Binding ImageVideoView}" IsContentVideo="true" >
                <transitions:TransitionPresenter.RenderTransform>
                    <TranslateTransform x:Name="PlatformVideoAnim" X="0" />
                </transitions:TransitionPresenter.RenderTransform>
            </transitions:TransitionPresenter>

the video is not going to the right. it stays center.

The goal is to have 16:9 1080p videos show full screen. see below image.

4P1gxmt.png

But also have 4:3 images/videos get shoved to the right correctly. which is not working. see below image.

MI5SQPT.png

I have tried multiple methods of forcing the images/videos to the right, but nothing seems to work. 

Pretty one !  ?
What you are trying to do is impossible. At least, I never figured out how!

If you want a centered version:
Just remove the "ANIMATION" part of the video code, from the post above.

But the code cannot see the difference between different video ratio.
I have already twisted the problem all over the place with BigCouch theme. If you find a solution, share !!

For the n64 platform could we get an accessory or a different controller instead of a 3rd N64 controller on the side?

For Sega Genesis why is it displaying half orange half red? Same think on SNK Neo Geo CD with 2 different purples. I want all my backgrounds to be just 1 solid color.

I don't see support for platform categories?

Could support for text with details be added as a games view?

Also would it be possible to move the game box art in the game view? See attached image.

I'm running latest Colorful Dark and love it.

1262a7e3b84954f7ce428428499bd636.jpg

1980cb81c3edd818acee2884244736c8.jpg

006ed08ab31355faf74f902a49fc0fee.jpg

Edited by Codeman

@Codeman :
About N64 :

I put a 3rd controler to symbolize the fact that it was one of the rare console to allow 4 players out of the box. (no space for 4 controller here)
But the big difficulty is to find good accessories photos, with: the right perspective, the right light and in high resolution.
I do what I can with what I find! ?

About color :
It is a problem! Between my Photoshop editing, the MP4 export in After Effect and the playback in VLC, there is different video processing thas change the colors.
I just redid my captures> Photoshop> HEX code.
For GENESIS, I have :   #b72d2f
For SNK NeoGeo CD, I have :   #ae90e4

You cann try to change color in :
LaunchBox\Themes\Colorful - Dark\Plugins\Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a\AssemblyConfig\  Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a-Colors.dll.config
Or replace this file with this one : Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a-Colors.dll.zip

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 3:02 PM, viking said:

Yep.
I believe you have it on LaunchBox's "Platform Video Download Tool", but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately not.  What's the easiest way to raise this as an issue . Much easier update from within LaunchBox!

@viking do you have plans to add main videos for Vectrex, Daphne, specific Pinballs (Future and Visual) and Sinclair Spectrum?

Hey Viking, I'm having a small problem with the recent version of your theme : I get a micro freeze when selecting a game, the transition between the list of games and the game menu freezes for like 500 milliseconds. It only happens with Wheelgameview 1 and 2, not with Textgamesview. I don't think I had this issue before. Anyway, your theme is the best !

Edit : oh wait, that's because I use a sliding transition effect ! Not sure it can be fixed, then. Except by not using a sliding transition effect... I also tried to disable the transition only for game list / game view but it has no effect, I still get the sliding transition.

Edited by Tromzy