LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme

viking

@sagaopc Cool montage ! But from my point of view, I see some problem.

- Change BoxFront to 3D BoxFront.
It's pretty easy to change. Since I don't use this option, it may be integrated in BigBox option. Otherwise, you can simply change the code.
In your example, you use Wheel2GamesView.xaml.
With a text editor, open it and go line 1146 and change       Source="{Binding ActiveGame.FrontImagePath}"      by     Source="{Binding Path=ActiveGame.Box3DImagePath}"
And voila !

- Put ClearLogo on top.
It is not really possible, this space being reserved for games with long names. The text that expands upwards in this area.
And for me, the clearLogo is already present on the Wheel AND on the BoxArt. Adding one again would be too much. Too much graphics, too much color, too much logo. (My tastes, of course)

- Put a Card/Disc.
I thought about it. But a good placement is a problem. To take 2 extremes, the PSP (very narrow) and SNES (very wide) boxes require placing the card image in different places, depending on the platform selected. It's too complex to set up! At least with my knowledge! If you have a clean integration method, I'm interested! (Or another theme for inspiration)

Edited by viking
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, viking said:

No, I have not removed any views.
In the previous theme, the Light and Dark views were mixed. Here, they are separated into 2 different themes. That's why you have this impression I think.
The LIGHT theme has no new view.
The DARK theme, now has all the views (identical to the other) in dark version. (3 "new" view dark version in fact)

This update mainly concerns the foundations of the code. I put it online in version 0.9 because I await your feedback to finalize these views and polish these bases. It will be v.1.0 and the end of beta status. Afterwards, I will come to add new views / design!

Perhaps it was unintentional, but there definitely is a bit less customization in 0.9 vs 0.7 (at least in the Dark Theme). I know you split the themes up, which isn't an issue, but to clarify, here is what I'm talking about:

440920377_OldViewOptions.thumb.png.657a94d76b7b548dfa7b8245a62df3e8.pngIn the above for 0.7 (regardless of dark or light), you could choose things like say, if you wanted your Platform List to use a Text List view, or a Wheel View (options 1 and 2 respectively in the screenshot) which would result in the following two different ways to browse your platforms.

Text List:

1072884539_PlatformTextList.thumb.png.2514b39936ba5a6f35cf4c3c234ee86f.png

Wheel:

1564625716_PlatformWheel.thumb.png.5f1fa7e1ee78464302d7614941447cfd.png

But now in 0.9 there is no View selection so you're stuck with the defaults:

1275394518_MissingViewOptions.thumb.png.9397075aabc327faa0adf7f5de055eee.png

Such as a Wheel for the Platform View and Text List for Games View. At the moment I happen to like of the default Views in 0.9, but may find I'd prefer something else for one of them. Just figured I'd point this out so that the different view options that already existed in the combined 0.7 theme could be re-added to the View options in the separate dark/light themes in the next version, before you worried about creating entirely new ones.

2 hours ago, oblivioncth said:

Perhaps it was unintentional, but there definitely is a bit less customization in 0.9 vs 0.7 (at least in the Dark Theme). I know you split the themes up, which isn't an issue, but to clarify, here is what I'm talking about:

440920377_OldViewOptions.thumb.png.657a94d76b7b548dfa7b8245a62df3e8.pngIn the above for 0.7 (regardless of dark or light), you could choose things like say, if you wanted your Platform List to use a Text List view, or a Wheel View (options 1 and 2 respectively in the screenshot) which would result in the following two different ways to browse your platforms.

Text List:

1072884539_PlatformTextList.thumb.png.2514b39936ba5a6f35cf4c3c234ee86f.png

Wheel:

1564625716_PlatformWheel.thumb.png.5f1fa7e1ee78464302d7614941447cfd.png

But now in 0.9 there is no View selection so you're stuck with the defaults:

1275394518_MissingViewOptions.thumb.png.9397075aabc327faa0adf7f5de055eee.png

Such as a Wheel for the Platform View and Text List for Games View. At the moment I happen to like of the default Views in 0.9, but may find I'd prefer something else for one of them. Just figured I'd point this out so that the different view options that already existed in the combined 0.7 theme could be re-added to the View options in the separate dark/light themes in the next version, before you worried about creating entirely new ones.

The new 0.9 version has all the same views. You just need to change them in the view options in BigBox or map a key/button for "Change View" and you can change the view on the fly. Some views like TextList view have to be in themes by default.

Here is 0.9 dark using both the same views you are showing in your images you posted.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 8.10.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 8.10.27 PM.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retro808 said:

The new 0.9 version has all the same views. You just need to change them in the view options in BigBox or map a key/button for "Change View" and you can change the view on the fly. Some views like TextList view have to be in themes by default.

Here is 0.9 dark using both the same views you are showing in your images you posted.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 8.10.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 8.10.27 PM.png

I didn't know that such a hotkey existed, that can definitely be useful, thanks.

I also forgot there was a seperate Views ection under BB options as I was used to changing them within the page for the theme itself. So yes, the options are still there, the only downside is that there is no preview for them now because the Views option screen is only text and no images, but I guess it isn't a huge deal if you just use the hotkey method to change them in real time to get instant feedback.

On 5/20/2020 at 11:36 AM, viking said:

@sagaopc Cool montage ! But from my point of view, I see some problem.

- Change BoxFront to 3D BoxFront.
It's pretty easy to change. Since I don't use this option, it may be integrated in BigBox option. Otherwise, you can simply change the code.
In your example, you use Wheel2GamesView.xaml.
With a text editor, open it and go line 1146 and change       Source="{Binding ActiveGame.FrontImagePath}"      by     Source="{Binding Path=ActiveGame.Box3DImagePath}"
And voila !

- Put ClearLogo on top.
It is not really possible, this space being reserved for games with long names. The text that expands upwards in this area.
And for me, the clearLogo is already present on the Wheel AND on the BoxArt. Adding one again would be too much. Too much graphics, too much color, too much logo. (My tastes, of course)

- Put a Card/Disc.
I thought about it. But a good placement is a problem. To take 2 extremes, the PSP (very narrow) and SNES (very wide) boxes require placing the card image in different places, depending on the platform selected. It's too complex to set up! At least with my knowledge! If you have a clean integration method, I'm interested! (Or another theme for inspiration)

this inspirations I had from Neon Deluxe Theme

some samples:

arcade.jpg

PS2.jpg

PSP.jpg

SNES.jpg

switch.jpg

• Thanks 1

@viking In the dark theme, would it be possible to change the full-screen (non-bordered) up and down arrows to dark.  They are white at the moment and it doesn't feel consistent to me i.e. they are dark in the bordered screens.  I prefer the full-screen coloured backgrounds in dark mode, but the white up and down arrows at the bottom right catch my eye.

Edited by Stovies
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi @viking. Congratulations on what is the MOST BEAUTIFUL theme for Big Box! I have 2 questions for you or anyone else in this forum...

1. I run a low-end computer with limited storage space and would like to know what's the bare minimum media I need to download for my library to run your COLORFUL theme. Since it's the only theme that I'm planning to run in the foreseeable future, I would assume I don't need images for the back of the boxes, cartridges, 3D images, etc. Can you please let me know what's the bare minimum media that I need to run your theme as you depict it? This way I can only download that type of media for my entire library. 

2. Would it be possible for me to change the background video to the title screenshot? This, in case the video is too much for my pc to handle (I would assume it's not, but just in case).

1 hour ago, EMH said:

Hi @viking. Congratulations on what is the MOST BEAUTIFUL theme for Big Box! I have 2 questions for you or anyone else in this forum...

1. I run a low-end computer with limited storage space and would like to know what's the bare minimum media I need to download for my library to run your COLORFUL theme. Since it's the only theme that I'm planning to run in the foreseeable future, I would assume I don't need images for the back of the boxes, cartridges, 3D images, etc. Can you please let me know what's the bare minimum media that I need to run your theme as you depict it? This way I can only download that type of media for my entire library. 

2. Would it be possible for me to change the background video to the title screenshot? This, in case the video is too much for my pc to handle (I would assume it's not, but just in case).

Hi EMH,

1. At a minimum, for a display like in my screenshots, you need:
PLATFORM >> ClearLogo (Someone already integrated into the theme) + Data (no media) + Colorful Video Set (you can try the HD version)
GAMES >> ClearLogo + FrontBoxArt + Data (no media) + GamePlay Video (From EmuMovies)

2. For the video, I have to watch. Normally, it is possible.
By the way, I have in mind new Platfrom view, based on a Banner system (without video) to have more freedom in design. It will therefore be lighter, because without video! Release ... some day ^^

• Thanks 1

Love your theme viking and hopefully you update it with more customization. :D

There is one thing that would be cool if you could it implement into the next Version.

If the Videosnaps in the game wheel could differentiate between 4:3 and 16:9 Video. 

It does no look so good on modern games when most of the screen is cut during gameplay in the preview.

Edited by Chro

13 hours ago, Chro said:

Love your theme viking and hopefully you update it with more customization. :D

There is one thing that would be cool if you could it implement into the next Version.

If the Videosnaps in the game wheel could differentiate between 4:3 and 16:9 Video. 

It does no look so good on modern games when most of the screen is cut during gameplay in the preview.

Thx !
More customization seems difficult to me. Can I do some examples on the first page perhaps?
But I will not be able to make 1 custom version per person!

About VideoSnap ratio, it is an impossible equation.
If I put the VideoSnap in 16:9 ... it will fill the whole screen and I lose my left column.
If I put the videoSnap in true 4:3, but the design balance is no longer good.
I find that the current cut is the best compromise.
And no, smaller VideoSnap is not a solution for me. From a design point of view, it's ugly and unbalanced.

But feel free to make a fok! Dont hesitate to share it here, I would put it in first page. ?

56 minutes ago, HyperSpinEmu said:

Any updates on the pause and start up themes? Using another pause theme seems inconsistent lol would it be possible to another mark option to indicate the games is not installed? Currently only can mark as broken.

It is planned, but not now. To be honest I didn't start it.
On another priority: Finish v.1.0 theme and "Arcade Playlist Set" video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do anybody know how to get the lower right "Max Player" quarter to work.

On Launchbox Database each game i own has the number of player that can participate in a game but they wont be shown in my Launchbox and Bigbox aswell.

If i look my Infos up and only says Single or Multiplayer title. 

I even tried to write 1-2 or 1-4 into the meta data but it didnt helped.

Edited by Chro

4 hours ago, viking said:

Thx !
More customization seems difficult to me. Can I do some examples on the first page perhaps?
But I will not be able to make 1 custom version per person!

Yeah that would be a great idea some examples on how to change things. I allready changed flatcovers into 3d covers with your help :D

Maybe some hints which lines have to be changed to change the aspect ration, position or size of the specific things that are visible on screen would be cool so we can play arround :D

Not everyone here knows how to edit those. ^^

But i would be playing arround with those numbers just to see if there are some minor tweaks to make :D

Just started using this theme and I aboslutely love it. It's literally the most beautiful thing I've laid eyes on. I see it's still a beta, so I'm not sure the plans going forward (I'm going to read through the thread), but a couple of ideas I had were;

1: GAME VIEW: Instead of a full screen video - having the console image remain from the console view and the gameplay video for each game showing up on the TV/handheld. I'm not sure if this is actually possible to make the video that small on the screen, but it's a though. 

2: The empty space above the game name - is anything planned for that or is the blank space to keep it cleaner? A 3D box or a clear logo or even the game cart/disc might look cool up there. I'm not sure. I like how clean the theme is so I don't want to make bad suggestions, but in my head it looks okay. 

I also love the suggestion above with the Kirby Star Allies - I think that still looks clean but slightly more visually appealing. 

Regardless what you do - this is the theme I'll be using on my main build. It's just wonderful. Thank you for your hard work. 

Edited by hawkguy

viking, crazy awesome theme! Appreciate all the hard work. Made a few small changes to get things attuned to my cab. Thought I'd share in case there was other interest. Adjusted one of the views to replace the box with clear logo and moved it to top left. Also killed the scroll text so the titles have room, even if some titles are waaaaaaay too long. Works nicely when you have all themes vs. video snaps. cheers!

IMG_20200720_114707.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Best theme available for Big Box and possibly any emulation frontend, hand down. Thank you for your hard work, viking. Your talent and great sense of aesthetic is a gift to the emulation frontend community!

Right now, I'm trying to edit it to make it suit my particular use case a little bit more. I have a couple of questions and one suggestion:

1. Is it possible to make a Text View that is just like the wheel view, only replacing the wheels with the text list? Text list is much snappier and faster than the wheels for very large collections, and some logos are kinda hard to read. Right now, the wheel view has more info about the game. Text feels a little bit incomplete compared. I personally believe that text view is better for large collections, and provide a better experience for "exploring your collection and finding hidden gems", because you can browse so much faster. That being said, without details like release date, rating, number of players and description, it becomes that much harder to dig around for the good stuff.

2. What values would I need to change to make animations start slightly sooner and/or go slightly faster? The way it is right now is very pleasant for an exhibition kind of experience, like attract mode for example. But on day to day use, if you just go straight to the game and select it as soon as you can, chances are you'll never get to see a lot of the animated content because it takes a little big too much time to resolve. You kind of have to purposefully wait if you wanna see the boxart or game info. I don't think the default values should be changed, but I'd like to dig into the XAML and change values for my particular setup. Or maybe just add a "quick animations" view as an option for next versions.

3. It was suggested already by user johnsanc, and I agree: a scanlines overlay for the video area would be great. Not even premium emumovies has video snaps that look any good when upscaled to 4k resolutions. Even very fake scanlines are great for hiding imperfections in low res content, because you distance the delimitation between visual pixels from one another, making the "staircase" effect less pronounced and blocky artifacts less visible.

Thanks!

Hey there,

absolutely love your theme! ?  It Runs with no issues so far.

Apart from that, one Issue I have is, that i normally don't use Platform View since there are too many Games to Scroll for me ;) I use Playlists for each Console with just my Favourites in it, e.g. for Nintendo 64 Platform i created a Nintendo 64 Playlist with just my favourites. I edited the Playlist Video Paths  to the Corresponting Platform Video from Colorful. So far so good.

Unfortunately i can't match Background Color to the corresponding Color of the Video for each Playlist. Tried to poke around with Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a.dll.config and Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a-Colors.dll.config but didn't succeed at all..

Could anyone help me with that issue? Would be great :)