LaunchBox Community Forums

New Guy Needs Cred

C-Beats

SOOOoooo it is a LITTLE awkward being the new developer and having the forum title of "1-Bit Wonder" and APPARENTLY @Jason Carr doesn't have a magic "Make me awesome" command built into the back-end (or is just hazing the new guy) and claims I must EARN a more appropriate title.

In an effort to correct this injustice I have created this thread. Together we can help me don my proper title of "128-Bit Self Aware"!

"How can this ONE thread do ALL of this?" you may ask. Some may even say, "Count me in! How can I help?"

It is simple. You (yes YOU) hiding in your cave of curiosity, simply come forth and ask a question of the new guy. I will respond, I MAY even be truthful. As we do this my forum cred will grow and SOON I will have the title I deserve!

Edit: Thanks to your efforts I have reached "Rank 4 - Adder"! We cannot however rest on our new found laurels. We must press on! We cannot stop until I have claimed the title rightfully mine!

Edit2: AH HA! I am beginning to feel the effects of your efforts, my power is growing! I have obtained the title, " 8-Bit Processor". As grand as this accomplishment it is merely a stepping stone in my path, ONWARD! 

• Like 12

Hi Christian and welcome to our community.

That Mr. Carr can be a hard taskmaster. If it was up to me you would be a 1024 Quantum Computer with your own office and an Administrator sign on the door.
Why I might even assign Neil as your private secretary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Crickets.

They need time to contemplate. there could be serious ramifications in giving this new and unproven individual so much power!

What if he turns out to be some ego driven tyrant drunk with his newly acquired power? They would forever be known for helping this horrible person rise to power!

What if he turns out to be some enlightened kindhearted soul sent to re-leave them of what ever ails their Launchbox related woes, and when given the chance you simply asked, "Do you like games?".

This is a task to be approached cautiously and carefully. One does not proceed haphazardly when approached with such a dilemma...

• The Cake is a Lie 1

36 minutes ago, spycat said:

Hi Christian and welcome to our community.

That Mr. Carr can be a hard taskmaster. If it was up to me you would be a 1024 Quantum Computer with your own office and an Administrator sign on the door.
Why I might even assign Neil as your private secretary.

A man (or woman) willing to get his (or her) nose dirty to get what he (or she) wants. I like it.

• Unusual Gem 1

11 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Welcome aboard! Here's an interview-style question for ya: What was your driving force in deciding to join the Launchbox development team?

Aww man... I gotta get serious? Fine...

Quite frankly I was presented with an opportunity to leave a job I already didn't enjoy to work from home on a product I use and love. Was a no-brainer. I applied thinking it'd just be cool to talk to Jason, see the man behind the curtain sort of thing. One of those, "Wouldn't it be awesome to just get a chance..." moments. I looked forward to being able to flex my programming skills on a product I enjoy. Having a community as cool as this one standing behind the product also is pretty awesome.

There is also the added benefit that I secretly get to add in features I've been wanting for a while but couldn't add since I didn't have the source. Now I get a chance to be a little greedy, MUHAHAHAHA!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

Welcome! I hope you guys can dream up some awesome stuff, and I look forward to it ... no pressure.

Do you have any ideas yet for what you think would make BigBox even better?
What generation games are your favorites?
Whats your game build?

I can assure you friend, asking for a glimpse into this mind and the dreams it thinks up can be a bit of a double-edged sword. Be careful what you ask for.

To be honest. I purchased the license for Big Box but I don't use it as much as I planned to. I haven't gotten a dedicated Big Box build complete yet because I had to focus my resources else where. Once I get it though it will be really nice to show off. A lot of the features make it easier for my children to use then standard Launchbox does as well which I have used it for too.

SNES is probably my favorite console/generation. I also love me a good Scumm throwback.

I currently don't have a dedicated gaming rig. My rig wears many hats simultaneously, GameMaster is one of them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CBeatt13 said:

I can assure you friend, asking for a glimpse into this mind and the dreams it thinks up can be a bit of a double-edged sword. Be careful what you ask for.

To be honest. I purchased the license for Big Box but I don't use it as much as I planned to. I haven't gotten a dedicated Big Box build complete yet because I had to focus my resources else where. Once I get it though it will be really nice to show off. A lot of the features make it easier for my children to use then standard Launchbox does as well which I have used it for too.

SNES is probably my favorite console/generation. I also love me a good Scumm throwback.

I currently don't have a dedicated gaming rig. My rig wears many hats simultaneously, GameMaster is one of them.

SNES was my college system. So, some epic memories of 20 person Mario Kart and Street Fight II Turbo tournaments. Though all the classic arcade games hold my best memories, and in my opinion some of the best game play (especially with an old school MAME arcade setup). I hear you about the game rig... mine is a jack of all trades too.

38 minutes ago, CBeatt13 said:

Aww man... I gotta get serious? Fine...

Quite frankly I was presented with an opportunity to leave a job I already didn't enjoy to work from home on a product I use and love. Was a no-brainer. I applied thinking it'd just be cool to talk to Jason, see the man behind the curtain sort of thing. One of those, "Wouldn't it be awesome to just get a chance..." moments. I looked forward to being able to flex my programming skills on a product I enjoy. Having a community as cool as this one standing behind the product also is pretty awesome.

There is also the added benefit that I secretly get to add in features I've been wanting for a while but couldn't add since I didn't have the source. Now I get a chance to be a little greedy, MUHAHAHAHA!

Nicely said! Thanks for that well thought out and detailed answer. Once again, welcome aboard and look forward to seeing and hearing about more of those "secret" features you've been dreaming up for Launchbox and Bigbox! :)

Up to 8-bit Processor now! Only 120 bits left! 

9 hours ago, CBeatt13 said:

What if he turns out to be some ego driven tyrant drunk with his newly acquired power?

Well you do now carry the Launchbox forums Moderator title....?

9 hours ago, CBeatt13 said:

Only once, though it is only so I can till the field and water his gardens.

Good as long as he is giving you some sun light. Even if it is still during hard labor sessions.