LaunchBox Community Forums

12.2 Beta Testing

faeran

13 hours ago, TheNewClassics said:

Hey LB team. I noticed that with this recent beta as well, if you try to open any documents thru LB, like the manual or a guide that is a PDF, nothing opens in LB. In BB it works fine.

You mean like the document isn't opened INSIDE of LaunchBox, or that it doesn't open at all?

I really like this new feature from the poll!

• New Feature: You can now limit how many images you wish to download per image group in the Download Metadata and Media Wizard as well as in the various import wizards (community poll Item #5)

Would someone explain what "per image group" means? I'm not clear on how it decides on what to grab.

As an example, I like to set the limit to 1. I noticed on a system like Atari 2600, it will pull 1 image from each screenshot category (ex. gameplay, title, game over, etc.) which is great. But on a system like Arcade, it will just pull 1 screenshot image total so you miss out from the other screenshot categories. Thanks for your time!

Edited by SqHd

1 hour ago, TheNewClassics said:

Does LB have a built in PDF viewer? Good question tho, I'll check.

If you are opening something like a manual in pdf format from within LB it will typically open in the default pdf viewer your system uses. Just tested latest beta and was able to open manuals, cheats, and magazines I have attached to games that are in pdf format.

You can disregard my post. For some reason when I upgraded to Windows 11, Adobe Reader isn't working for me anymore. Doesn't appear to be a problem with LB at all.

EDIT: Well, maybe not. I can open the documents outside of LB using Adobe Reader. They do not open from within LB.

Edited by TheNewClassics

2 hours ago, Rlad said:

I just added some 3D boxes but LB won't let me change image type.

Also 'Cart Front Images' is duplicated in the menu.

12.2 Beta 5:   Also seen this issue.  You can add the images but it will not allow change of type. If you select the image type (if new added image) it will put everything into Box-Front. You have to manually drag into the appropriate folder at least for Advert-Front, Gameplay, Select, and Title images I tried.   

The redundant main entry for Cart Front Images also has "Arcade - Marquee" (not sure why would be in cart header) and "Cart-Back" (this is not in the first "Cart Front" main entry)

Edited by sundogak

16 hours ago, SqHd said:

I really like this new feature from the poll!

• New Feature: You can now limit how many images you wish to download per image group in the Download Metadata and Media Wizard as well as in the various import wizards (community poll Item #5)

Would someone explain what "per image group" means? I'm not clear on how it decides on what to grab.

As an example, I like to set the limit to 1. I noticed on a system like Atari 2600, it will pull 1 image from each screenshot category (ex. gameplay, title, game over, etc.) which is great. But on a system like Arcade, it will just pull 1 screenshot image total so you miss out from the other screenshot categories. Thanks for your time!

The limit isn't a hard limit, but is a soft limit. The way the feature works is if any image group has LESS than that number of items with that image types priority level or less than the download is allowed.

For example:
Your download limit is: 1
Your Box Front Image Priorities is set up as: Box - Front, Box Front - Reconstructed, Fanart - Box Front
Your game already has the following images: 1 Box Front - Reconstructed

The process would download a Box - Front image once (since it is higher priority than the reconstructed you already have) and skip any other type in that group since you already are at the limit.

If an image belongs to a type that DOESN'T belong to an image group, the limit is applied to ONLY that image type. So how the limiter behaves greatly depends on how you have your image group priorities set.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TheNewClassics said:

Does LB have a built in PDF viewer? Good question tho, I'll check.

15 hours ago, TheNewClassics said:

That's interesting, I guess I never realized that. Is that also the case in BB?

LaunchBox does not have a built in reader. Big Box does. LaunchBox will attempt to open the file using the operating system which should open what ever program is set to the default for that file extension. Big Box will open a chromium window and load the file into that if possible.

Beta 6 is out with the following:

• Improvement: All Wall Views in Default Theme now have an alphanumeric index accessible through the new Open Index input binding
  • Improvement: All Wall Views will now remember last game for each platform if the option is enabled
  • Improvement: Wall View 4 has received a visual update and no longer looks like Wall View 1 (default theme only)
  • Fixed: Duplicated string in Add/Edit Game's Image Type context menu (introduced 12.2 beta 5)
  • Fixed: Add/Edit Game's image type context menu wasn't changing the image type (introduced 12.2 beta 5)
  • Fixed: Wrong context menu would show up after editing a game with a paged arrange by (introduced 12.2 beta 4)
  • Fixed: Badge menu premium notification was showing up too many times when a parent was clicked (introduced in 12.2 beta 4)
  • Like 3

Beta 6 

Seems to have fixed the main issue with image type selection. But (to me) there are inconsistencies on a couple of the rolled up image types:

• Cart Back Images is showing Arcade-Marquee.  That is already included in Marquee Image so not sure why duped in cart category.  
  • Cart Back Images is missing the Fanart-Cart-Back type (if following how did the Fanart-Cart-Front type).

Snap.png.b535915f6eba497876528a955d38671b.png

Not sure what the intent of the the "unused images" is supposed to be if really "unused" or supposed to be "other".  

• If supposed to be actual unused then isn't working.  For example Clear Logo shows when I have one for this game
  • If intent is for it to be "Misc/Other" then clear logo wouldn't fit here either since already has a header Clear Logo in main list.  Something like "Other Images" ?
  • Seems that Advertisement Flyer-Back would match with "Box Back Images" in that the Advertisement Flyer-Front is in the Box Front Images already
  • Seems the Arcade-Circuit Board, Panel, Control Information would be something like "Other Arcade Images" or something like once you move the above items out to their respective headers unless plans for more image types for "other"

1065232424_snap2.png.213c0290c3d69b5581e8fead462f4889.png

26 minutes ago, sundogak said:

Beta 6 

Seems to have fixed the main issue with image type selection. But (to me) there are inconsistencies on a couple of the rolled up image types:

• Cart Back Images is showing Arcade-Marquee.  That is already included in Marquee Image so not sure why duped in cart category.  
  • Cart Back Images is missing the Fanart-Cart-Back type (if following how did the Fanart-Cart-Front type).

Snap.png.b535915f6eba497876528a955d38671b.png

Not sure what the intent of the the "unused images" is supposed to be if really "unused" or supposed to be "other".  

• If supposed to be actual unused then isn't working.  For example Clear Logo shows when I have one for this game
  • If intent is for it to be "Misc/Other" then clear logo wouldn't fit here either since already has a header Clear Logo in main list.  Something like "Other Images" ?
  • Seems that Advertisement Flyer-Back would match with "Box Back Images" in that the Advertisement Flyer-Front is in the Box Front Images already
  • Seems the Arcade-Circuit Board, Panel, Control Information would be something like "Other Arcade Images" or something like once you move the above items out to their respective headers unless plans for more image types for "other"

1065232424_snap2.png.213c0290c3d69b5581e8fead462f4889.png

Those categories display whatever image types are assigned to that image group which can be set in the Options menu under media. Unused may not be the best string, perhaps we can swap it out for "Unassigned", those image types are images that you don't have included in ANY image group (which means unless a theme or plugin loads them directly from file LaunchBox doesn't use them at all)

31 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Those categories display whatever image types are assigned to that image group which can be set in the Options menu under media. Unused may not be the best string, perhaps we can swap it out for "Unassigned", those image types are images that you don't have included in ANY image group (which means unless a theme or plugin loads them directly from file LaunchBox doesn't use them at all)

Got it, my mistake.  Didn't even think about it being tied to the priorities settings. 

My 2 cents is it is confusing that the categories are tied to priorities where as old UI listing was entire list independent of that option.  But could just be me. I think renaming it to "unassigned priority" or something along that line might help to clue people in right direction.  

Beta 6

It's probably "just a thing", but I'm seeing an extra Log file appear when starting BigBox.  The extra Log has just 2 lines:

2021-11-05 09:48:26 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: No OID value matches this name.
   at System.Security.Cryptography.Oid.FromFriendlyName(String friendlyName, OidGroup group)

And then the normal Log file:

2021-11-05 09:48:15 AM All necessary config files and folders now confirmed to exist.
2021-11-05 09:48:23 AM DataManager.SaveInternal started.
2021-11-05 09:48:23 AM Saving InputBindings.xml...
2021-11-05 09:48:23 AM Saving GameControllers.xml...
2021-11-05 09:48:24 AM Saving ListCache.xml...
2021-11-05 09:48:24 AM Saving Settings.xml...
2021-11-05 09:48:25 AM DataManager.SaveInternal completed successfully.
2021-11-05 09:48:27 AM MainViewModel setting active view model: PlatformWheel1FiltersViewModel
2021-11-05 09:48:27 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: ImageSourceConverter cannot convert from System.String.
   at System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter.GetConvertFromException(Object value)
2021-11-05 09:48:27 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: ImageSourceConverter cannot convert from System.String.
   at System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter.GetConvertFromException(Object value)
   at System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value)
   at System.Windows.Media.ImageSourceConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value)
   at MS.Internal.Data.DefaultValueConverter.ConvertHelper(Object o, Type destinationType, DependencyObject targetElement, CultureInfo culture, Boolean isForward)
2021-11-05 09:48:28 AM Music.Resume Start

The Exceptions in the 2nd are quite possibly from my own wonky Theme.  (I'm not too worried about that.)

Note the Time Stamp in the 1st one.  It falls in about 8 lines down on the 2nd Log file.  It only happens during BB startup and not LB.  I see it both when starting BB directly and when starting BB through LB (Ctrl+B).  Tested on two different PCs.

There are no other Log files like this (the 2-liner) prior to beta 6.

Hey LB team, one more thing I noticed. If you don't have any games selected and go to Update Metadata, it states it will update the media for all games. However, if you actually run the updater, it will not update anything and just states it updated 0 games right after the updater runs. Seems like this could be a cool option as opposed to selecting the whole collection with Ctrl+A