LaunchBox Community Forums

12.2 Beta Testing

faeran

6 hours ago, Retro808 said:

@Azgorath I had this issue as well. It happened on a couple builds I have. I tried several times and then waited a few hours to try again I did not have the issue. So I am thinking maybe just an ISP hiccup or something connecting the the RA servers. I have since tested this feature several more items and have not had it replicate. Since your post about the error have you had any success with the feature?

Nah still same issue. Would Windows 11 be the culprit?

16 hours ago, Retro808 said:

@Azgorath I had this issue as well. It happened on a couple builds I have. I tried several times and then waited a few hours to try again I did not have the issue. So I am thinking maybe just an ISP hiccup or something connecting the the RA servers. I have since tested this feature several more items and have not had it replicate. Since your post about the error have you had any success with the feature?

Unfortunately RetroArch's servers are set up so that you cannot hit them very many times before your IP is temporarily blocked for over-use. This is typically what is happening in this case. Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about it. You can't run those downloads over and over without RetroArch eventually blocking you.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 7:56 AM, wallmachine said:

Changing the Main Window Theme to the Old Default doesn't work - finding it hard to focus/read the new colours.

image.thumb.png.4d8e9f96a742de0019e0d21ce0e6549b.png

Changing back to Old Default does work, but I don't think this is what you are wanting to do. If you are referring to the colors of the windows, you can change those using the Dialog Theme options.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately RetroArch's servers are set up so that you cannot hit them very many times before your IP is temporarily blocked for over-use. This is typically what is happening in this case. Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about it. You can't run those downloads over and over without RetroArch eventually blocking you.

Good to know.

For reference though I got that error the first time I tried to use the new feature and ran just the core updater on one cabinet. So I went to another a few minutes later and tried to run the Retroarch update and got the same error.

I get the error trying to update retroarch and update cores.

How is it handling multiple retroarch installs? Because im using 1.7.5 as i can't get my controllers to work properly in the newer versions, I also have 1.9.8 (which i tested). Is it going to update every retroarch.exe or only named Retroarch?

Edited by Rlad

18 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

If you're getting a download error, please try visiting this URL:

https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/

Then press Ctrl+F5 to completely refresh the page. If the page doesn't load, then it's definitely an issue either with the RetroArch servers, or with their blocking system. Let me know if the page loads in those cases.

The page works, i've updated retroarch manually to the latest build from there, i still get the error.

Beta 3 is out now with the following:

• New Feature: The import wizards will prompt you for a RetroArch BIOS file (and notify you of the file name that is needed) for applicable systems

• The RetroArch updater will now notify you if you already have the latest version and won't update again

• New Feature: You can now limit how many images you wish to download per image group in the Download Metadata and Media Wizard as well as in the various import wizards (community poll Item #5)

• Improvement: The right-click menu has now been reorganized as well

• Improvement: The picture viewer has been updated and now utilizes dialog theming colors

• Fixed: FlowVideo control was not always updating the HasVideo binding correctly

• Fixed: Add/Edit Emulator will now once again let you add two different cores for the same platform when editing RetroArch

• Fixed: The MS-DOS Import Wizard wasn't always using the correct startup path if it was changed in the wizard

• Fixed: FlowVideo controls used in platform and filter views in Big Box were not stopping after selecting an item

• Fixed: Dialog window maximization and minimization issues (introduced in 12.0)

Per the RetroArch download issues, we're hoping that this is an improvement at least. The issue with the RetroArch downloads is definitely an issue with the RetroArch web servers, but we're going to have to find a workaround for it if we continue to have problems with it. We're just trying to read what the latest-released version is, which is what is giving us all the trouble because of unexplainable 404 errors.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to programmatically determine what the latest version of RetroArch is (sans for parsing HTML markup), please let us know.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

If anyone has any ideas as to how to programmatically determine what the latest version of RetroArch is (sans for parsing HTML markup), please let us know.

Is this JSON data feed what you are aiming for?

https://api.github.com/repos/libretro/RetroArch/releases/latest

Source:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14866528/how-can-i-grab-the-latest-stable-repo-version-from-the-github-api

EDIT: Fixed link for JSON feed to pull the latest stable release.

Edited by Hifihedgehog
  • Like 1

12.2-beta-2&3

Clear logos are not showing as the backup image when marquees are set as the view.

* I have marquees set as the image group view

* My marquee image priorities are: Arcade - Marquee, Banner, Steam Banner, Clear Logo

* Clear logos ARE being displayed when Clear Logos are set as the image group!

* It's not until I edit a game, view its images and then press "OK" does the clear logo get cached and displayed as the backup image.

Some screenshots as an example:

Black Heart Clear Logo is not being displayed as the backup image when Marquee image group is being displayed. As you can see, the image exists.

1456194292_2021-10-2819_12_20-Window.thumb.png.aef72b688624f3fecd7f7ba76e3fcfe3.png

Click OK and now the image is displayed

1969422742_2021-10-2819_12_41-Window.thumb.png.7d7382398d623d5c84ad484ce28adf4d.png

Same thing with Atari Soccer. You can see that it's in my image folder as well.

316567561_2021-10-2818_56_58-Window.thumb.png.2742ca95c8aaa2d85326b66514d29914.png

Edit the game. Yep, image is there.

364143188_2021-10-2818_58_47-Window.thumb.png.bea74066dc04014069c814e9ef1fea5e.png

Click OK and the image is now cached.

2009631667_2021-10-2818_59_10-Window.thumb.png.8b2d129777d020a9df032d7417e7d03a.png

Edited by Knowcontrol
add LB version

I just noticed that when using LB to update Retroarch, it automatically downloads all the cores.

I'm only using like 10 cores, and I don't want the other ones.

It think the default behavior should be to update only existing cores.

When you want to download a new core you should do it through RA instead.
And did the option to just update the cores disappear?

Also I'm getting this in the latest beta: 

Thanks for the awesome work guys!

LaunchBox_CIeGJLngIr.png.4019e19cdc8869d3ad27688ff64f10e3.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, e2zippo said:

Also I'm getting this in the latest beta: 

Thanks for the awesome work guys!

LaunchBox_CIeGJLngIr.png.4019e19cdc8869d3ad27688ff64f10e3.png

That error is what Jason is talking about here...

12 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 3 is out now with the following:

Per the RetroArch download issues, we're hoping that this is an improvement at least. The issue with the RetroArch downloads is definitely an issue with the RetroArch web servers, but we're going to have to find a workaround for it if we continue to have problems with it. We're just trying to read what the latest-released version is, which is what is giving us all the trouble because of unexplainable 404 errors.

4 hours ago, e2zippo said:

I just noticed that when using LB to update Retroarch, it automatically downloads all the cores.

I'm only using like 10 cores, and I don't want the other ones.

It think the default behavior should be to update only existing cores.

Because of the way RetroArch provides the stable releases, we have to download all of the cores in order to update them. We could just throw away unused cores, but that seems kind of silly. RetroArch does not provide individual cores for the stable releases, only for the nightly releases.

9 hours ago, sevenalive said:

I use retroarch nightly, can a toggle be added to update to the latest nightly?

Out of curiosity, what's your reason for updating to the nightlies? We could add this functionality, but it's more extra code than you would think due to RetroArch using a different file structure for nightlies vs. the official releases.

6 hours ago, faeran said:

Beta 4 has been released with the following:

• Fixed: RetroArch was sometimes failing to download for some users (thanks to @Hifihedgehog for pointing the way)

For anyone that was having download issues, please let us know if you are still experiencing them with this release.

Works now although, Grammar Police.

1008828026_Screenshot2021-10-29234906.png.703146ad7414c6eb62333d46e0b23281.png

Should say 'not need updating' or 'not need [to be] updated.'

• Unusual Gem 1

52 minutes ago, sevenalive said:

I run nightlies on anything and everything I use. Betas if nightlies aren't available. Everything from emulators to running Windows 11 dev to running beta dependencies in the software I develop. I like staying on the bleeding edge, I've been doing this for about 20 years without any major issues that made me reconsider my update obsession, of course I can handle any issues that come up but haven't had to rollback anything in quite a while. I'm certainly an outlier and not a normal user. I like to get stuff early. The only early betas I tend to hold off on are Android OS betas since they are always really buggy for the first few betas. You may think I'm nuts and love things to be broken, but that hasn't been the case in my experience. Bugs can't get fixed before a stable release without people like me :)

If launchbox had automatic silent nightly updates, I would enable it in a heartbeat.

You should be able to get a 7z of both release and nightly of RA, those don't differ by structure, although I do see that checking if the nightly is already at the latest would probably be different unless they made a github pre-release for those as well.

https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/

That said, I have powershell scripts that run every 6 hours to make sure everything is updated on my machines. So I have a PS script that downloads the latest nightly and extracts it to the install location. So if you don't implement that ability in launchbox, I'll be ok since I would have to run an update manually with LB anyway. I have considered making a PS script to update to the latest launchbox beta automatically, but so far I just launch LB and check manually (please add auto-silent updates in the future).

Yeah, our thoughts there are that the power users already know how to do this stuff, and already have that kind of thing in place. The automatic RetroArch features are definitely more geared towards new users to emulation and/or RetroArch. The point is to make it easy. So we might come back in add that kind of thing later, but probably not for this release.

• Like 1