LaunchBox Community Forums

12.2 Beta Testing

faeran

I just tried out the new RetroArch downloader in a completely new LaunchBox setup and noticed a few things:

1.       The RetroArch archive fails to extract when the LaunchBox path contains spaces.

2.       The application path which gets automatically set to the retroarch.exe is absolute and not relative to the Emulators folder.

3.       NEC PC-FX is listed twice in the associated platforms tab.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

I just tried out the new RetroArch downloader in a completely new LaunchBox setup and noticed a few things:

1.       The RetroArch archive fails to extract when the LaunchBox path contains spaces.

2.       The application path which gets automatically set to the retroarch.exe is absolute and not relative to the Emulators folder.

3.       NEC PC-FX is listed twice in the associated platforms tab.

Thanks for these, much appreciated. I can get these fixed up on Monday.

15 hours ago, sevenalive said:

I really like the UX improvements being done for this release. The menu cleanup was very much needed. Replacing the blocking dialogs with windows notifications is very much appreciated. Any plans to update the menu icons to align more with Windows 11 style and the new dark theme interface? I can help find replacements if needed, but should be easy.

The check for updates function still has a blocking dialog and also can't be done when any other operation is in progress, like checking for missing media or scanning.

The cleanup media window is a modal and blocking using LB while it scans, does it have to block?

I use the edit metadata (edit game) more than any other context menu item. I would prefer that to be a top level item instead of underneath a sub menu, but I started using ctrl-E more, so I may not care so much in the future.

The bundled VLC is a few patch versions behind, which has some mp4 fixes that may or may not matter.

We do need to update the icons to be larger for higher DPIs, because they're all still only 16x16 pixels. That said, we probably won't be doing that for this release. What do you mean by more in line with the Windows 11 style though?

Good thoughts on the rest as well. We may revisit those in the future.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I've noticed that lately the mame-arcade leaderboards aren't showing up anywhere in LaunchBox. Previously, I could see them in the details (right side) bar and also when right-clicking on a particular Mame game. But I've tried the default theme (and a few others) and they're nowhere to be found.

Update: Oops! I found the problem. When I renamed the "mame.exe" to "mame64.exe" the problem was solved :)

Edited by bundangdon

15 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I've noticed that lately the mame-arcade leaderboards aren't showing up anywhere in LaunchBox. Previously, I could see them in the details (right side) bar and also when right-clicking on a particular Mame game. But I've tried the default theme (and a few others) and they're nowhere to be found.

Update: Oops! I found the problem. When I renamed the "mame.exe" to "mame64.exe" the problem was solved :)

Why did you have to change the ame of mame/  was it because your system was set to mame64 or that the leaderboards required it to be named mame64?

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

It's trying to remove the RetroArch folder; it looks like something is interfering with that by not allowing that file to be removed.

Yeah and it seems like its only that file that doesn't wanna get deleted. Everything else is deleted and if I delete that file manually, the reinstall works properly. The file seems to be Atari Lynx Bios File.

Edited by Azgorath

4 hours ago, Azgorath said:

Yeah and it seems like its only that file that doesn't wanna get deleted. Everything else is deleted and if I delete that file manually, the reinstall works properly. The file seems to be Atari Lynx Bios File.

Usually in that case it's a file permissions issue, but it's hard to say. Either way, we can only delete the files that the OS lets us delete. If Windows Explorer is letting you delete it but not LaunchBox, maybe it's because it requires admin rights to delete?

14 hours ago, Aevans0001 said:

Why did you have to change the ame of mame/  was it because your system was set to mame64 or that the leaderboards required it to be named mame64?

I'm not sure, but when I renamed it to "mame" the leaderboards also worked. Previously, I was using an entirely different name, like "mame0.135". So, I'm guessing it has to be named either "mame" or "mame64" to function properly

Noticed a bug with the current Beta. When adding an artwork item for a game by dragging it from Windows file explorer into the Images pane in the edit window, often the wrong image appears - a previously used image rather than the current one. When I click OK, the correct image appears. So it's not a big deal, but though it was worth mentioning.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:12 PM, Retrofrogg said:

When I click OK, the correct image appears.

Sounds similar to an issue I reported a few days ago where my fallback Clear Logo images were not being displayed with marquee images selected as the view but a marquee image does not exist and falls back to a clear logo. Open the editor, press OK and the clear logo would then appear.

On 11/1/2021 at 5:12 PM, Retrofrogg said:

Noticed a bug with the current Beta. When adding an artwork item for a game by dragging it from Windows file explorer into the Images pane in the edit window, often the wrong image appears - a previously used image rather than the current one. When I click OK, the correct image appears. So it's not a big deal, but though it was worth mentioning.

Was not able to replicate this on a few different setups I have. Does this happen each time for you?

8 hours ago, Knowcontrol said:

Anybody else seeing duplicate fanart background images in the game's details section?

I'm not able to see this. Do you maybe have duplicate fanart background images downloaded?

8 hours ago, Knowcontrol said:

Sounds similar to an issue I reported a few days ago where my fallback Clear Logo images were not being displayed with marquee images selected as the view but a marquee image does not exist and falls back to a clear logo. Open the editor, press OK and the clear logo would then appear.

This sounds more like you need to refresh your image cache. Have you tried to select all your images and press F5, or click on View > Media > Refresh All Images

Beta 5 is out with the following changes:

• New Feature: An Open Index mapping has been added to Big Box, which will open the alphanumeric index in supported views
  • Improvement: EmuMovies downloads now use the same multi-threaded downloader that LaunchBox Games Database uses which should result in faster download speeds
  • Fixed: Corrected logic in the IBigBoxMainViewModel.ShowGames(FilterType, Name) function (for plugin developers)
  • Fixed: MAME High Score integration should now work with MAME .237 and newer
  • Fixed: Several issues reported when adding RetroArch as a new emulator
  • Fixed: Visual corrections to the Image Grid in LaunchBox when no images are displayed
  • Fixed: Using MAME Metadata during a ROM Import could sometimes yield undesired results

@CriticalCid You able to confirm you are no longer seeing the issues with RetroArch?

Anyone using Lambda or LB Galaxy may see some visual bugs. If you do, you can download a new copy from the forums or fix it yourself by removing the following from the BoxesContentView.xaml file

Height="{Binding ItemHeight}"
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, faeran said:

Fixed: Corrected logic in the IBigBoxMainViewModel.ShowGames(FilterType, Name) function (for plugin developers)

@Fry You mind confirming this for me?

5 minutes ago, faeran said:

Improvement: EmuMovies downloads now use the same multi-threaded downloader that LaunchBox Games Database uses which should result in faster download speeds

Big thanks to @circo and his team for all the work that made this possible.

6 minutes ago, faeran said:

Fixed: MAME High Score integration should now work with MAME .237 and newer

@MadK9 Anyway I can get you to help us test this out and confirm it's working?

• Like 2