LaunchBox Community Forums

The LaunchBox 2022 Community Poll

faeran

The LaunchBox 2022 Community Poll  

2,001 members have voted

The results of the poll will be posted after the poll is completed.

This poll is closed to new votes

For the record, I wanted to select "none" for where I use LaunchBox. I was using it on a media PC running Windows but have since switched that machine to Linux and am using something else until LB is a little more stable on Linux. Still voted though as I'm excited for some of these features once I'm back up and running. Thanks for asking our opinions!

On 5/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, Retro808 said:

I understand. Never said anything about difficult just mentioning that Skraper is notorious for corrupting LB xml files.

If you have already developed part of it than you could always offer it as a plug-in for LB.

Screenscraper is one of those slow websites. I have the maximum threads so at least it was faster when scraping with software for it when I was on RB. But when you go on the website to manually figure some stuff it's a pain in the rear. One thing I know is that id like to never have to return to that resource ever. I hope that people will just put time in the LB database from now on which wont happen realistically.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:47 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Launchbox doesn't use exact file naming to match roms, it uses a fuzzy system so you are flexible on your rom sets unless the naming is a total mess.

Yeah, I find that, especially with the C64. Especially with the files from gamebase. They have a weird naming system for their files

6 minutes ago, superdavit said:

Really wish there was a better, graphic-based way to customize the controllers for various systems through LaunchBox.

Except LB does not and probably won't ever map your controllers in the emulators themselves. There would be way too much work and effort to get mappings for every controller and system.

There's definitely some interesting things on the poll this year, just wanted to add some input and a question or two...

• Screensaver for BigBox: At first thought I didn't really care for this idea, but this would actually be a nice option to use in place of Attract Mode. I would probably more prefer BigBox to stay on a highlighted game so I'm not somewhere completely different if I leave for a little while. As far as what it will show, I would like it to either loop the selected video preview of that particular game... or the option to cycle through all videos associated with that game (snap, theme, trailer, recording). Not really interested in an image slide show, but that option would be nice to have too.
  • Online social/syncing features: I've been wanting more of this for a while, the MAME High Score feature was a great start to this. I'm not real sure what all is being considered for the "more online" capabilities, or what's even realistic... but I would imagine some sort of real time friends list using our current LaunchBox names/accounts that can access MAME High Scores (of course), direct or group messaging, and online play/invite system (possibly integrating a 3rd party like FightCade) etc. This might even be something that should be built as "LaunchBox Online" app that can be used on a phone or tablet in conjunction while playing on your preferred device. It would be less messy and more convenient to use both at the same time. Not to mention you can get push notifications.
  • 3D Box Models in BigBox: This could also be interesting to include 3D renders of arcade cabinets! Whether it's a 3D arcade cabinet or console game box, selecting to view full screen and having the ability to make it rotate would be really cool!
  • Integration of the Bezel Project: Let's say you download all bezel media and it applies to all systems applicable... would it be possible to disable and re-enable bezels, or furthermore... disable only select systems?

11 minutes ago, Damsbo said:

No High Score for Limited Groups feature option? 😕
https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/6640/high-scores-for-limited-groups

This is something that could come with the more "online social" stuff mentioned on the poll. The "friends" part of the limited group would need to be implemented before you can make it only show those friends. I personally want to see how I stack up against the community on different games, not just a few friends. That being said, I would like to see like an icon next to a name or a highlight over the name that I would be friends with on the MAME High Score boards. An extra tab only showing friends would also work well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MRCrisis said:

Unfortunately animated cover support is not in the poll. Yet there are a lot of votes

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/307/animated-backgrounds-and-animated-box-art

Just because something has a lot of votes on the bitbucket it doesn't automatically mean it makes it to the poll. If Jason doesn't see a feasible way to implement then there is no point in putting it on the poll.

Would loooooove Linux support, I'm waiting for my place in the steam deck queue and would love to use Launchbox instead of having to use their gamemode, not to mention on Desktop where i currently run Arch