LaunchBox Community Forums

The LaunchBox 2022 Community Poll

faeran

The LaunchBox 2022 Community Poll  

2,001 members have voted

The results of the poll will be posted after the poll is completed.

This poll is closed to new votes

Welcome to the LaunchBox 2022 Community Poll! The items on the poll were sourced from the community from multiple sources such as BitBucket and here on the community forums. By answering all the questions above, you will be able to shape the direction of our upcoming development, by helping us prioritize the things you want to see most. Not all items on this poll will make it into LaunchBox, so voting is definitely crucial.

If you have any questions regarding the poll items above, please feel free to post below.

If you have a great feature you would like to see on a future poll, don't forget to post it over on BitBucket using the Request a Feature link, and you may just see it on a future poll (if you do find a feature that you like over on BitBucket, don't forget to vote for the request).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update (2022-05-23): The poll is over! Thank you all for voting. Results are below:

#1 - Integration of the Bezel Project - (If this feature were to win, you would have the ability to automatically download bezels from the Bezel Project for their supported platforms and emulators) - Added in 12.13
#2 - Image Pack Importer - (If this feature were to win, you would be able to download image packs from the forums and directly import them into your collection) - Added in 12.13
#3 - Include Platform Icons in the Side Bar - (If this feature were to win, LaunchBox would natively support icons in the side bar, with icons included for major platforms and categories) - Added in 13.2
#4 - 3D Box Models in Big Box - (If this feature were to win, you would be able to view true 3D Box models in Big Box) - Added in 13.0
#5 - Platform Details within the Game Details panel - (If this feature were to win, LaunchBox would display platform metadata and media when a platform is selected, and a game is not) - Added in 12.15
#6 - Screensaver for Big Box - (If this feature were to win, a Screensaver option would be available in Big Box that would cycle through your game media)
#7 - Optionally allow syncing of fields across your LaunchBox builds - (If this feature were to win, certain fields, like Favorite, Play Time, and Star Rating, will optionally stay updated between your different LaunchBox builds using your Games Database Account)
#8 - Adding a Media Limit to the Clean Up Media Tool - (If this feature were to win, a media limit option would be available within the Clean Up Media Tool, allowing to leave a certain amount of images per image group, while deleting the rest)
#9 - Hide Platforms from the Platform Category Filters - (If this feature were to win, you would gain the ability to have Platforms not show up in the Platform Category filters in both LaunchBox and Big Box) -
Added in 12.15, because it was relatively easy (despite the poll results)
#10 - MiSTer FPGA Remote Game Launching - (If this feature were to win, LaunchBox would be able to remotely launch a game on your MiSTer FPGA device over your home network)

Items in green (the top 5 items) are planned to be implemented as a priority. Items in red (the bottom 5 items) may or may not be implemented in the future. We do have plans to still implement at least one of them, based on the fact that it is relatively easy and quick to implement it. We'll be leaving which one(s) we plan to implement though as a surprise for the future.

The poll results were calculated like this:

Will Not Use = -2 Points
Will Hardly Use = -1 Points
May Use = 1 Point
Will Use = 2 Points
Will Use Often = 3 Points

These point values for each voter were then added together to calculate a total score, which was then used to sort the poll items by the highest score. Thanks again all for voting! We can't wait to get started!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 2

I just want to point out that the bezel project integration will just be a downloader and possibly a place in the correct location for Retroarch/MAME to see tool, it wont mean actual bezel support implementation integrated directly into Launchbox/Bigbox for use with any emulator. At least that is my understanding of it.

Bezel Project integration will integrate the Bezel Project into media downloads for games, for automatic use in RetroArch and MAME only. Emulators that do not support bezels will not be supported. It's the same with the Bezel Project currently.

• Like 9
  • Game On 1

will the Bezel Project integration allow you to see the bezel first  or have one bezel per system. if not i would prefer 

that launchbox has its own version with all the options the other media has in launchbox also have artwork in the online database

• Like 2

The bezel project is an interesting idea, but as others have shared, I think more information should be provided. Is it going to utilize a single platform bezel for each platform and use that in all the games in that platform or download and use the individual theme bezel for each game. Will you be able to choose between the two?

@Jason Carr said it would only be RA and Mame which is understandable, as that is what the Bezel Project is geared towards.

I think more info should be provided for other things on the ballet as well. Like #4, Cool feature, but BETTER support for NAS stored media really needs to be worked on now! Nothing works other than deleting media. Will  that be fixed / improved?

Edited by The Papaw
  • Like 2

The bezel is the only one that like me (that I use a lot I mean), on mame I am not able to set it, so it'll help a lot! I'd like also that bezel work on PAL roms...I'd like to help on that if necessary...

Anyway, it is late I know, I have added 3 requests for the next pool that I find very kind and usefull. I hope you'll read them.

Edited by xevious1974

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Probably slim change it would happen. That program is known to corrupt LB xml files.

Native integration with the screenscraper.com website is not difficult, I have already developed part of it myself.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vanei said:

Native integration with the screenscraper.com website is not difficult, I have already developed part of it myself.

I understand. Never said anything about difficult just mentioning that Skraper is notorious for corrupting LB xml files.

If you have already developed part of it than you could always offer it as a plug-in for LB.

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I understand. Never said anything about difficult just mentioning that Skraper is notorious for corrupting LB xml files.

If you have already developed part of it than you could always offer it as a plug-in for LB.

I plan to do that when it's finished.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Vanei said:

There will never be official integration as the majority of their content is just stolen from Emumovies, and we won't endorse that.

• Like 5

Bezel integration would be incredible, I could finally get rid of retroarch if that were the case, I would gladly give up the good scanline filters to be done with it.

Edit: I just read the thread. bummer. though having launchbox download them would be a huge help.

Edited by screwball69
  • Like 1

Although the bezel idea is nice I think i like the option to be included for more realistic/natural ones, i've had goes with the project before and some of these can be custom art (Granted get this is more due to other stuff than arcade) but I would appreciate the option if it was possible to give more natural bezels as an option on import, if this didnt work, perhaps a launchboxDB entry where original bezels could be provided?

• Like 3