LaunchBox Community Forums

13.6 Beta Thread

faeran

Not sure if this is a bug, or intended - but its the first time I've noticed it.

For Symlinked folders - Is the ROM Import Wizard supposed to record the path as selected, or interpret it as the real path?

I selected:

d:\roms\ms-dos

and the rom import wizard changed it to

..\exodos\exo\exodos\

Which is fine, but it removes the flexibility to effectively use symlinks.

• Like 1

Beta 2 is out with the following:

• New Feature: LaunchBox can now automatically import installed PC games from supported storefronts on startup
  • Improvement: LaunchBox now better monitors install/uninstall processes and updates the UI better when either event completes
  • Fixed: Some storefront import wizards were not updating the game selection counts correctly
  • Fixed: FlowImage was incorrectly using Big Box settings to grab Platform Background images

For anyone willing, to test the automatic PC game import feature, a new, separate LaunchBox build is recommended. Use the beta setup file to install LaunchBox to a new location, then when it opens, see if the games that appear in LaunchBox are the ones you would expect to see. To test this on a current build, you would need to go into Tools > Options > General > Automated Imports, and make sure the option is turned on. Then restart LaunchBox and see if your installed games import (granted that they are not already imported into LaunchBox).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, faeran said:

New Feature: LaunchBox can now automatically import installed PC games from supported storefronts on startup

Worth noting that this feature is ENABLED for new installs of LaunchBox by default, but if you are upgrading an existing build of LaunchBox to this version this is DISABLED by default.

2 hours ago, faeran said:

Beta 2 is out with the following:

For anyone willing, to test the automatic PC game import feature, a new, separate LaunchBox build is recommended. Use the beta setup file to install LaunchBox to a new location, then when it opens, see if the games that appear in LaunchBox are the ones you would expect to see. To test this on a current build, you would need to go into Tools > Options > General > Automated Imports, and make sure the option is turned on. Then restart LaunchBox and see if your installed games import (granted that they are not already imported into LaunchBox).

Installed fresh copy in \launchboxtest\

Upon loading LB for the first time, I see a Windows platform has been created, and it appears all of my Steam and Epic games have been imported.   Personally, I like to have Steam and Epic in their 'own' platform, and not together in Windows, but that's just me. 

Next it started auto-downloading metadata and images. 

So it appears to work as expected.   Pretty cool!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 9:30 PM, Fursphere said:

Not sure if this is a bug, or intended - but its the first time I've noticed it.

For Symlinked folders - Is the ROM Import Wizard supposed to record the path as selected, or interpret it as the real path?

I selected:

d:\roms\ms-dos

and the rom import wizard changed it to

..\exodos\exo\exodos\

Which is fine, but it removes the flexibility to effectively use symlinks.

Hi, why do you even try to import the eXoDOS games into LB ? this means you would lose all the metadata, extras, manuals, images ... that come with eXoDOS.
If it's about importing eXoDOS into your existing Launchbox environment, there is a merge guide. This is IMHO the better way, because it preserves the curated collection and everything coming with it.

3 hours ago, Timber-eXoProjects said:

Hi, why do you even try to import the eXoDOS games into LB ? this means you would lose all the metadata, extras, manuals, images ... that come with eXoDOS.
If it's about importing eXoDOS into your existing Launchbox environment, there is a merge guide. This is IMHO the better way, because it preserves the curated collection and everything coming with it.

RetroArch w/ the Puredos core can 'run' most of the DOS games straight from the ZIP file (like a ROM).  No need to unzip / install / etc.   exodos is setup to unzip and install every game, and then you get to deal with dosbox controls to arcade panel mappings.   RetroArch just overlays its default config - and while not perfect, just "works" more often than you'd think.  exodos also assumes you want your entire /exo/ collection instead your launchbox folder structure.   

I just moved all the exo /images/ /videos/ /manuals/ files over to my LB folder structure, then treat the /exo/ folder with all the zipped games as a ROM directory, and import it into my setup using the LB ROM importer.  I haven't looked at the metadata to see if what LB downloads is radically different than what exo comes with - so thanks for the idea. 

I left the rest of the exodos setup in place so the updater still works - which is pretty cool in itself.

and you loose the ability to:

• run games networked
  • select advanced sound cards such as MT-32 or General Midi
  • Use features in CGA games like composite graphics
  • access all of the metadata that has been specifically vetted and normalized
  • use *any* of the other features I have placed in my run.bat files
  • use the all-seeing eye, gold box companion, and ultimapper addins
  • preserve and transfer your save data from one install to the next
  • transfer characters from one game to another (in rpg's that support that)
  • etc etc etc

If you just want to run a zip file, then why are you using eXoDOS? Just download a rom off the web and add it manually. You are literally defeating the purpose of the entire project and then running it through one of the least feature enabled DOSBox ports available on the web. 

If you thinke eXoDOS is just a bunch of games, then you don't understand the project at all. 

I also guarantee you my conf files run those games *way* better than anything retroarch and pure do on the fly.

I haven't looked at the metadata to see if what LB downloads is radically different than what exo comes with - so thanks for the idea. 

There are massive differences. I have hand created every entry in eXoDOS to ensure series, genre, dev, publisher, etc are all normalized across the entire pack. You aren't going to have three different vertical scrolling shooters listed three different ways (action, shooter, and vertical shooter for example). You aren't going to find Sierra On-Line spelled 10 different ways. 

Edited by eXo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, eXo said:

and you loose the ability to:

• run games networked
  • select advanced sound cards such as MT-32 or General Midi
  • Use features in CGA games like composite graphics
  • access all of the metadata that has been specifically vetted and normalized
  • etc etc etc

If you just want to run a zip file, then why are you using eXoDOS? Just download a rom off the web and add it manually. You are literally defeating the purpose of the entire project and then running it through one of the least feature enabled DOSBox ports available on the web. 

If you thinke eXoDOS is just a bunch of games, then you don't understand the project at all. 

I also guarantee you my conf files run those games *way* better than anything retroarch and pure do on the fly.

I''m at a loss for words here.   I'm getting attacked because I asked about symlink behavior in the latest Launchbox Beta. 

I think your project is very cool.   But I do not like the way it merges into my launchbox installation.  

If you want to talk about the pros and cons of various emulation strategies, lets start a new thread - as this has nothing to do with the LB Beta.

3 minutes ago, Fursphere said:

I''m at a loss for words here.   I'm getting attacked because I asked about symlink behavior in the latest Launchbox Beta. 

I think your project is very cool.   But I do not like the way it merges into my launchbox installation.  

If you want to talk about the pros and cons of various emulation strategies, lets start a new thread - as this has nothing to do with the LB Beta.

Yes please. Any more comments (from any members) about this subject will be deleted. It is not beta related so start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum. 

• Like 1

Just an observation I made this morning.   With the new auto-import functionality on existing installs.  I enabled it in LB, closed LB - opened Steam (was not previously running), installed two small games, then reopened LB.   Lb detected the new games and added them.  Cool. 

Except, I have my Steam games in a "Steam" platform, not the generic "Windows" platform.   The auto-installer put them in the generic "Windows" platform.  (I have EA games in an EA Platform and Epic Games in an Epic platform in similar fashion).    (I have them setup this way because they games do not function without their related platform)

No big deal, just maybe added a note to the auto-import setting about where they're going to auto-import to (destination)?

Just received this a couple of times trying to import a windows game (AGS actually)

The 'FileName' start tag on line 170690 position 6 does not match the end tag of 'FileNama'. Line 170690, position 38.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 13.6-beta-2
Type:    System.Xml.XmlException
Site:    Void Throw(System.Exception)
Source:  System.Private.Xml

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowTagMismatch(NodeData startTag)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEndElement()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.ReadCurrentNode(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNode(XmlReader reader)
   at System.Data.DataSet.ReadXml(XmlReader reader, Boolean denyResolving)
   at System.Data.DataSet.ReadXml(String fileName)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Search.RomFiles.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.ReadLiteralStruct(Object , Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Search.RomFiles.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.FillReadableValue()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

Recent Log:

11:36:42 AM Exception

Any ideas

On 7/10/2023 at 9:27 AM, Fursphere said:

Just an observation I made this morning.   With the new auto-import functionality on existing installs.  I enabled it in LB, closed LB - opened Steam (was not previously running), installed two small games, then reopened LB.   Lb detected the new games and added them.  Cool. 

Except, I have my Steam games in a "Steam" platform, not the generic "Windows" platform.   The auto-installer put them in the generic "Windows" platform.  (I have EA games in an EA Platform and Epic Games in an Epic platform in similar fashion).    (I have them setup this way because they games do not function without their related platform)

No big deal, just maybe added a note to the auto-import setting about where they're going to auto-import to (destination)?

Yeah, if you use a platform with a different name than Windows, they won't be automatically added to that platform. I think we should be able to look for platforms that use Windows as the Scrape As value though. I assume you have that set up?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, idolfun said:

Just received this a couple of times trying to import a windows game (AGS actually)

The 'FileName' start tag on line 170690 position 6 does not match the end tag of 'FileNama'. Line 170690, position 38.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 13.6-beta-2
Type:    System.Xml.XmlException
Site:    Void Throw(System.Exception)
Source:  System.Private.Xml

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowTagMismatch(NodeData startTag)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEndElement()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.ReadCurrentNode(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNode(XmlReader reader)
   at System.Data.DataSet.ReadXml(XmlReader reader, Boolean denyResolving)
   at System.Data.DataSet.ReadXml(String fileName)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Search.RomFiles.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.ReadLiteralStruct(Object , Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Search.RomFiles.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.FillReadableValue()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

Recent Log:

11:36:42 AM Exception

Any ideas

We'll look into this.

Just put out beta 3 y'all with the following:

• New Feature: LaunchBox now has a brand new Default theme! The previous Default theme has been renamed Old Default and the previous Old Default theme has been renamed to Old Default (Legacy). Use Tools > Manage LaunchBox Themes to switch themes.

• New Feature: LaunchBox now has its own notifications system that helps better track information and errors; history is also available in the new notifications center (bell icon) in the top right of the window. The notifications center is available in both of the Default themes, and can be easily added to any custom themes. A new option is available under Tools > Options > General > Notifications to switch between LaunchBox notifications, Windows notifications, and message boxes.

• New Feature: Big Box's Default theme now has battery indicators to help identify your current battery level if using it on a battery-powered device (also available to be added to custom themes)

• New Feature: Big Box's Default theme now displays important controller inputs that will dynamically change based on a user's controller mappings (also available to be added to custom themes)

• Improvement: The PS3 ROM import improvements that were introduced in 13.3 now work with more ROM types

• Improvement: LaunchBox platform icons in the sidebar now have a HasImage binding (for theme developers)

• Fixed: Steam metadata occasionally wasn't being returned in English

• Fixed: Deleting an item from the list of media in the LaunchBox game details wasn't removing it from the list control

• Like 7
  • Game On 1