LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme 2.03

(22 reviews)

5 Screenshots

About This File

# WHAT IS COLORFUL MEDIA SET ?
COLORFUL is a complete and coherent high quality graphic set, around a unique design. Made with love in France. Hope you like it!!

COLORFUL_Banner_v2.thumb.jpg.cc3347194aedf12be1e85d8640be0d23.jpg

OFFICIAL COLORFUL ASSET :

RECOMMENDED COMMUNITY ASSET :

# HERE IS COLORFUL THEME FOR BIGBOX:
On this page we are talking about COLORFUL Theme for BigBox:
Design for work with my platform video set, COLORFUL THEME is thought to be used on the big screen (TV) in gaming console mode.
Modern, elegant and animated are the key words of this interface.

The COLORFUL project is getting too big for me alone.
@faeran  has taken over the source code of the theme. A BIG THANKS to you for your support and your precious help !! :x

# IN DETAIL ?
The main features :

• 16:9 only. (Works on other ratio, but with black bands)
  • Full 4K asset. (Any resolution must work, 4K assets)
  • Totally responsive. No resolution deformation on text size or placement.
  • Because of the white/black background, some ClearLogo comes with the theme.
  • Gamepad connection indicator & battery level.

# RECOMMENDATION ?
Any design choice gives limitations. Here are some recommendations for this theme :

• LaunchBox/BigBox up to date.
  • VLC highly recommended.
  • Design for work with COLORFUL platform video set. (but you can use any video you what)
  • Beware of full white/black ClearLogo. They will be invisible on Light/Dark views!
  • I didnt test this theme on a lowend configuration. There may be slowdown. (Curious to have your feedback on this subject!)

# COOL, HOW TO DOWNLOAD ?
2 ways

1.  In Windows : Right here, with the download button. Extract the "Colorful" folder and place it in your "LaunchBox/Themes" directory.   (dont rename it!)
  2.  In BigBox : Option > Theme manager > Found "COLORFUL - Light" or "COLORFUL - Dark"

# HOW TO EDIT ?
You can now edit this theme within the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, using the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files below (current version from the CTC 2.3):

# SPECIAL THANKS !

# CREDITS !

# BY FILE, EVERY CUSTOM VIEW SUMMARY  (Here in LIGHT. Same principle/animation for DARK)

• PlatformWheel1FiltersView.xaml
  • v2_PlatformWheel1FiltersView.thumb.gif.c5efedc6b7a6e4bd4962a12beeee0aec.gif
  • PlatformWheel2FiltersView.xaml
  • v2_PlatformWheel2FiltersView.thumb.gif.c22bf2a1583f94b203079adde1f813e4.gif
  • WheelGamesView.xaml :
  •  474073990_BigBoxScreenshot-Colorful-Light-WheelGamesView-2022-04-0713_15_51.thumb.jpg.43f1b19a91943b09dd8d76b8d0947516.jpg
  • Wheel2GamesView.xaml :
  • 634414446_BigBoxScreenshot-Colorful-Light-Wheel2GamesView-2022-04-0713_16_13.thumb.jpg.7bfa1eeb24d854f4d380e139c60f5a1e.jpg
  • TextGamesView.xaml :
  • 555591633_BigBoxScreenshot-Colorful-Light-TextGamesView-2022-04-0713_17_17.thumb.jpg.cf0e7cbf54f36b556cd4aba64dae5171.jpg

What's New in Version 2.03   See changelog

Released

• Fix animations in certain views when backing out of the Game Details menu.
  • Potentially other small fixes here and there.
  • Like 55
  • Thanks 12
  • Game On 5
  • Unusual Gem 14

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, tedyanggara1412 said:

Hello?? anyone can help me?? i really want to try this theme

Something similar happened to me too. It worked after I updated launchbox, updated the theme, and restarted my computer. Hope that helps, but maybe your problem is different.

Unfortunately, I run into this bug. I've removed all files in my theme folder a couple times and reinstalled the latest version (1.1) and it persists. I'm curious if it's a cache issue? It appears to be the same color as the Xbox 360 screen. Any ideas on fixing it?

I noticed this as well after re-installing this them.  Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but the file that was used to control the colours changed from one version to another.

It used to be the below file that controlled the background colour:

LaunchBox\Themes\Colorful - Light\Plugins\Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a\AssemblyConfig\Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a-Colors.dll.config

But after the update this changed to:

LaunchBox\Themes\Colorful - Light\Views\Styles\COLORFUL_Styles.xaml

Once I added the colour hex values into that file it looked correct.

Hopefully my problem was the same as yours and this helps.

21 hours ago, djrthomson said:

I noticed this as well after re-installing this them.  Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but the file that was used to control the colours changed from one version to another.

It used to be the below file that controlled the background colour:

LaunchBox\Themes\Colorful - Light\Plugins\Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a\AssemblyConfig\Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a-Colors.dll.config

But after the update this changed to:

LaunchBox\Themes\Colorful - Light\Views\Styles\COLORFUL_Styles.xaml

Once I added the colour hex values into that file it looked correct.

Hopefully my problem was the same as yours and this helps.

That was it! Thanks!

Dear Viking,

I have a quick question for you.

I'm trying to boost up the speed when platform video shift to right. Could you tell me where I should look at in the xaml?

Thank you always for this beautiful theme and your continuous support !

@xmas Faeran will work on the theme now. The code will totaly change and it will be based on the Community Theme Creator

On my old version, it's a pain in the ass. It's at the top of the XAML file. The "Storyboard" part.
Each element is animated from its side. You change a value: you have to readapter everything =/

• Like 1

@viking Thanks for quick response. It's good to know Faeran is working on an update! In the mean time, I'll test and post here if I find out anything.

Another thing that I want to mention is the transition color difference.

I found out this so far:

1.  you can delete "LaunchBox\Themes\COLORFUL - Dark\Plugins\Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a\AssemblyConfig\Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a-Colors.dll.config" and just keep this only "LaunchBox\Themes\COLORFUL - Light\Views\Styles\COLORFUL_Styles.xaml"

2. The major issue was on playlists (not the platforms) because of unique name and nested name difference. You should change to UNIQUE name in COLORFUL_Styles.xaml. For example- "Arcade 2-Player Games" (Unique name) instead of "2-Player Games" (Nested Name). I believe this will solve the problems that most of people had because it will apply to default color that you have set for videos.

3. I learned that "&" gives an error so any custom plaftform name including "&" should be replaced to "_"

Viking, I'm trying to match the color of custom video to background but it's not the same. Could you tell me the best way to find color picker # from screenshot? I tried to do in photoshop and other editor but it's always slightly different. I think I read that you have mentioned before but I can't find the post. Thanks again!

Desktop Screenshot 2021.08.25 - 03.17.35.21.png

Edited by xmas

Thx for your feedback and your color pick =)
Next, when I release new video, I'll give a good hex code to Faeran.

For the color by platform, @faeran will migrate the entire theme to the Community Theme Creator. Color management will change and be integrated if I understand correctly.
But for now, I have the same problem as you, with "Nintendo NES" for example.

Here is my last hex per platform list Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a-Colors.dll.txt

• Like 1

Fyi - noticed you missed the 'Windows' in the colour 'styles' document. So it just appears as the default green, you have to add the platform in manually to match the video's colour.

Also SCUMMVM, which.....still needs a video *wink wink* *nudge nudge* ? 

• Haha 1

Hey @viking and @faeran, does the trial version of Colorful work or not with the color correction file?
Colorful is based almost entirely on video. I see image folders for banner, device and fanart. Will this theme use these features?

Hello,

I've tested all the videos to match background colors and here's result:

All you have to do is to find 'COLORFUL_Styles.xaml'  in theme folder Views\Styles

and change the color. If you have custom named platform, you can easily create one here with exact same name.

Desktop Screenshot 2021.09.11 - 16.56.17.54.png

COLORS.txt

• Thanks 1

The first version was excellent, but I found myself unable to wait longer for the upcoming update 😂😂

Is there a release date for it?

Thanks for your hard work guys, it is appreciated 😍

I'm having some minor issues with color matching. As you can see I've added a custom platform called CPS so I added a line into the styles axml file.

Please let me know what I might be doing wrong here. Thanks. I'm having the same issue with sega Genesis as well.

Thank you for any help!

EDIT: I'm using the recently released 2.0 Dark Theme

1375897428_CPS-Copy.png

color - Copy.png

Genesis - Copy.png

Edited by CutTheRug

On 3/23/2022 at 11:50 PM, CutTheRug said:

I'm having some minor issues with color matching. As you can see I've added a custom platform called CPS so I added a line into the styles axml file.

Please let me know what I might be doing wrong here. Thanks. I'm having the same issue with sega Genesis as well.

Thank you for any help!

EDIT: I'm using the recently released 2.0 Dark Theme

1375897428_CPS-Copy.png

color - Copy.png

Genesis - Copy.png

I'm having the same issue he is.  I tried changing the color hex in the same file he did for genesis, no luck.  it didn't even register the change when I booted up bigbox.

4 hours ago, AncientCarthage said:

I'm having the same issue he is.  I tried changing the color hex in the same file he did for genesis, no luck.  it didn't even register the change when I booted up bigbox.

I figured out how to change this. I'll post when I get home. Off the top if my head you need to change the platformview.xaml, but now I'm getting a different issue where the videos are a slightly different color than intended. If I play the sega genesis video in VLC it looks like the left color. When it opens in Bigbox it's that darker red for some reason. It's happening on two others as well. Atomiswave and NES.

Edited by CutTheRug

Wanted to post an update, You have to change the hex codes in PlatformWheel1FiltersView.xaml and PlatformWheel2FiltersView.xaml, or whatever .xaml file corresponds to your chosen view.  If you just search for the platform of your choice in notepad, you should find the corresponding Hex code under it.  getting the right one took some trial and error in photoshop for me, but the Hex code I have for genesis is #b72d2e.  Thanks CutTheRug!

On 3/27/2022 at 7:14 PM, AncientCarthage said:

Wanted to post an update, You have to change the hex codes in PlatformWheel1FiltersView.xaml and PlatformWheel2FiltersView.xaml, or whatever .xaml file corresponds to your chosen view.  If you just search for the platform of your choice in notepad, you should find the corresponding Hex code under it.  getting the right one took some trial and error in photoshop for me, but the Hex code I have for genesis is #b72d2e.  Thanks CutTheRug!

Dude, that color was perfect for genesis. I wonder why we're getting that issue. If you ever get the chance would you be able to figure out the NeoGeo CD, ScummVM, and the ATOMISWAVE colors? I've attached them if that helps. Thanks so much. Now I don't have to go crazy guessing anymore on sega.

We should try to netplay sometime. DM me if you're ever trying to hit something multiplayer and need 1 more.

Screenshot 2022-03-29 004655 - Copy.png

Screenshot 2022-03-29 004551 - Copy.png

Screenshot 2022-03-29 004628 - Copy.png

I'll give it a try when I get home for sure. I'm not sure what's causing the issue unfortunately, but at least the fix is relatively straightforward.

Ouch, these colors are painful!
The problem root is color management by video players and encoders.
Between the color I give as input in Photoshop, what comes out in AfterEffect and what is displayed in VLC = I have 3 different colors displayed! :S

Please use VLC as the video engine in BigBox.
If you are in error and have a valid color code, please post it here as:   "platform name" = "hex code"

That way, I could send them to Faeran to integrate the correction into the next updates.

Thx !!!

Important: if you used the PlatformView2 as above, use the eyedropper tool, as far left as possible, between the title and the summary.
Around there is a vignetting effect in overlay which will distort the result!

On 3/29/2022 at 9:00 AM, AncientCarthage said:

I'll give it a try when I get home for sure. I'm not sure what's causing the issue unfortunately, but at least the fix is relatively straightforward.

Thanks Carthage I'll keep an eye out for your post!

3 hours ago, viking said:

Ouch, these colors are painful!
The problem root is color management by video players and encoders.
Between the color I give as input in Photoshop, what comes out in AfterEffect and what is displayed in VLC = I have 3 different colors displayed! :S

Please use VLC as the video engine in BigBox.
If you are in error and have a valid color code, please post it here as:   "platform name" = "hex code"

That way, I could send them to Faeran to integrate the correction into the next updates.

Thx !!!

Important: if you used the PlatformView2 as above, use the eyedropper tool, as far left as possible, between the title and the summary.
Around there is a vignetting effect in overlay which will distort the result!

I am using VLC I tried windows media player, but it was way worse haha. I think almost all my colors are slightly off, but some are worse than others. NES, ATOMISWAVE, SCUMMVM, GENESIS, NEOGEO CD, & PS3 are not matching for me. Carthage figured out genesis, it's #b72d2e.

So I have this version 1.1 that was updated March 23rd but I previously had the community testing version located here

What I found was that the testing version stayed on the platform screen a little longer before starting the video, does anyone know if I can edit this to the current release? I just want to add maybe 2 more seconds?