LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

It won't start as high as a 2.0 version, but it will be able to use some of the existing files. However, keep in mind that when updating by simply pointing a torrent over an existing set of files, it will add files and update files, but it will not remove extraneous files.

Just ran setup....how do we know when it has finished? My CMD window appears to have stopped inflating files, and it says "1 file copied" at the bottom (though it seemed to inflate many files just not 1). And the window just stays there when finished.

Also - the folder structure is now D:\launchbox\exodos, with the exodos folder containing the launchbox files. This seems a bit messy, as the launchbox folder is empty apart from the exodos folder. Can I move everything that is in the exodos folder up 1 level into the launchbox folder, so that launchbox.exe is in the launchbox folder?

Plus a lot of the games have no cover art (see below) - is this expected behaviour? Just checking I've done it right :)

3502zup.png

Edited by Dan

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Just ran setup....how do we know when it has finished? My CMD window appears to have stopped inflating files, and it says "1 file copied" at the bottom (though it seemed to inflate many files just not 1). And the window just stays there when finished.

Also - the folder structure is now D:\launchbox\exodos, with the exodos folder containing the launchbox files. This seems a bit messy, as the launchbox folder is empty apart from the exodos folder. Can I move everything that is in the exodos folder up 1 level into the launchbox folder, so that launchbox.exe is in the launchbox folder?

Plus a lot of the games have no cover art (see below) - is this expected behaviour? Just checking I've done it right :)

3502zup.png

Sounds like it didnt extract all the files properly, How long did it take?

Have you rerun the setup.bat again?

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Took over 5 minutes. I haven't re-run the setup.bat again.

I'm wondering if these particular games just don't have covers. Do they have covers on yours?

Also - does the exoDOS collection have sound or video samples? Don't seem to see any in LB.

exodos does not contain sound or video samples , just scrape msdos metadata with emumovies ;)

16 hours ago, Dan said:

Took over 5 minutes. I haven't re-run the setup.bat again.

I'm wondering if these particular games just don't have covers. Do they have covers on yours?

Also - does the exoDOS collection have sound or video samples? Don't seem to see any in LB.

Change the image type to 3D Boxes then you should get images for all games (see my screenshot). Also if youre going to scrape for sound and videos beware because a LOT of the games are named incorrectly in the LB games database and it will probably corrupt you existing eXoDOS media. I believe eXo and another member are gradually going through and correcting the database game by game. @eXo is this true or am i talking bollocks? :)

LB Screenie.png

Edited by nikeymikey
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

Also if youre going to scrape for sound and videos beware because a LOT of the games are named incorrectly in the LB games database and it will probably corrupt you existing eXoDOS media. I believe eXo and another member are gradually going through and correcting the database game by game.

Why would it affect the existing artwork media if I am only scraping for the game video?

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Why would it affect the existing artwork media if I am only scraping for the game video?

If you only scrape for video it wont affect your existing media, but as i said befor there are a LOT of dos games that have incorrect entries in the database so i personally am not going to scrape for sounds/videos until the database is up to date. I dont know if the database at EmuVids is any better with there naming convention tho, its up to you if you want to try it :)

EDIT: I have just run all my eXoDOS games through the media downloader, selecting to only download high quality videos from EmuMovies and absolutely nothing else. It seems to be running fine and fetching the vids without affecting anything else.

Edited by nikeymikey
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

EDIT: I have just run all my eXoDOS games through the media downloader, selecting to only download high quality videos from EmuMovies and absolutely nothing else. It seems to be running fine and fetching the vids without affecting anything else.

I tried doing this, downloading only the gameplay videos and the theme videos, though it seems to have affected a lot of my games - I now have duplicates, and some games which should have artwork are missing it! Deleted all of LB and am downloading the torrent again to start afresh.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

I tried doing this, downloading only the gameplay videos and the theme videos, though it seems to have affected a lot of my games - I now have duplicates, and some games which should have artwork are missing it! Deleted all of LB and am downloading the torrent again to start afresh.

See the quick vid i made below for my exact steps to fetch the vids from EmuMovies.

2017-12-17_18-00-48.flv

Edited by nikeymikey
  • Like 1

Just wanted to share how I easily imported this collection into my current LB setup:

1. Run setup.bat

2. Unpack AdvMetadata.zip in current LB folder. Do not overwrite any files, leave the original ones be.

3. Used Notepad++ to mass edit all the folder paths in Data\Platforms\ms-dos.xml

4. Followed nikeymikeys way of importing gameplay vidoes without screwing up metadata.

Voila

I did this before thinking about mklink, so that might be even easier. This also works if you, for some reason, don't want to mess with mklink. I know I might have problems whenever the next 4 parts comes out, but it's not really much work to redo it. :)

Edited by Daskepeder
  • Like 1