LaunchBox Community Forums

7.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

Last few versions I get false restart messages when updating LB if I choose no and open LB its updated and ready to go. This is fall creators update. Any clue why Windows thinks it needs a restart

Yeah me too, just had it again with beta 6. I just said no and launched as normal.

42 minutes ago, alfredolvera said:

Hey @Jason Carr

I just updated to beta 6 and it's still broken :( Same error, whenever I select ANY game in LB. Please let me know if I can maybe assist you in any way with this, testing or otherwise. This makes LB unusable, as I can't edit or start any game or ROM. 

Thanks for your help!!!! :)

By the way @Jason Carr AFAIK this didn't happen on Beta 4. Just in case this is relevant to finding the issue.

Edited by alfredolvera

42 minutes ago, alfredolvera said:

Hey @Jason Carr

I just updated to beta 6 and it's still broken :( Same error, whenever I select ANY game in LB. Please let me know if I can maybe assist you in any way with this, testing or otherwise. This makes LB unusable, as I can't edit or start any game or ROM. 

Log:

Input string was not in a correct format.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 7.15-beta-6
Type:    System.FormatException
Site:    System.Object MarshaledInvoke(System.Windows.Forms.Control, System.Delegate, System.Object[], Boolean)
Source:  System.Windows.Forms

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   at (MainForm , Game )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.MainForm.SetOneSelectedGameState(Game game)
   at (MainForm , Object , EventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.MainForm.gamesControl_SelectedGameChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Controls.GamesControlBase.OnSelectedGameChanged()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Controls.ImageGamesControl.<selectionTimer_Tick>b__57_0()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Recent Log:

2:43:43 PM Music.Pause Start
   2:43:43 PM Music.Prepare Start
   2:43:43 PM Music.Kill Start
   2:43:43 PM Music.Kill Finished
   2:43:43 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   2:43:43 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   2:43:47 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Start
   2:43:47 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailRating
   2:43:47 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailFileName
   2:43:47 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailCustomFields
   2:43:47 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailLastPlayed
   2:43:47 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailNotes
   2:43:47 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailDates
   2:43:47 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails End
   2:43:49 PM Exception

Thanks for your help!!!! :)

As stated above, we figured out that this is caused by at least one plugin: the add to games database plugin. Please try removing all plugins and let me know if you still get any errors.

25 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Last few versions I get false restart messages when updating LB if I choose no and open LB its updated and ready to go. This is fall creators update. Any clue why Windows thinks it needs a restart

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. It's irritating but I have no idea why it's happening or how to fix it. I'm guessing it's DirectX-related though. :/

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

As stated above, we figured out that this is caused by at least one plugin: the add to games database plugin. Please try removing all plugins and let me know if you still get any errors.

Oh, I'm an idiot... Plugin removed, everything works now. Sorry :( This makes me wonder if it's possible to add a "fenced sandbox" mode so that plugins can't crash LB, so if something's broken with the plugin, just crash the plugin, not the entire program. Is that even possible?

Thanks again!

6 minutes ago, sagaopc said:

There's how rollback to stable launchbox version? because the plugin is working on stable version...

You should be able to run the official version setup from the LaunchBox\Updates folder. Just install over top and everything should be fine.

5 minutes ago, alfredolvera said:

Oh, I'm an idiot... Plugin removed, everything works now. Sorry :( This makes me wonder if it's possible to add a "fenced sandbox" mode so that plugins can't crash LB, so if something's broken with the plugin, just crash the plugin, not the entire program. Is that even possible?

Thanks again!

This has come up before; unfortunately .NET does not provide a good solution for that. Of course anything is possible, but I would have to reinvent the wheel in order to make it happen, so that's not likely to happen any time soon. There are certainly things that can be done, though, such as trapping all plugin errors and handling them separately, but that by definition won't catch everything.

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

This has come up before; unfortunately .NET does not provide a good solution for that. Of course anything is possible, but I would have to reinvent the wheel in order to make it happen, so that's not likely to happen any time soon. There are certainly things that can be done, though, such as trapping all plugin errors and handling them separately, but that by definition won't catch everything.

I see. So maybe we could use the log to signal the user (and you) that this might be a plugin related issue? Because at least in my case, I installed that plugin a long time ago to try it, didn't like it and just forgot that I had it installed. If the log said something like "Plugin Invoked, exception" maybe I could have figured it by myself! I know that maybe isn't that simple, but I know you can figure something out ;)

Thanks for the help, Jason :)

@Jason Carr just got this error when clicking a megadrive/genesis game, appears that bug is back in beta 6.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
App:     LaunchBox
Version: 7.15-beta-6
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Unbroken.LaunchBox.RetroAchievements.Game] (System.String, System.String, System.String)
Source:  Unbroken.LaunchBox
   at (String , String , String )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.RetroAchievements.RetroAchievementsApi.GetGamesForConsole(String username, String apiKey, String consoleId)
   at (String , String , String , String )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.RetroAchievements.RetroAchievementsApi.GetGameInfoWithProgress(String username, String apiKey, String gameName, String platformName)
   at (<>c__DisplayClass80_0 )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Drawing.GameDetailsGui.<>c__DisplayClass80_0.<RefreshImage>b__0()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
Recent Log:
   10:54:45 PM Music.Pause Start
   10:54:45 PM Music.Prepare Start
   22:54:45 Music.Kill Start
   22:54:45 Music.Kill Finished
   22:54:45 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   10:54:45 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   10:54:54 PM Music.Pause Start
   10:54:54 PM Music.Prepare Start
   22:54:54 Music.Kill Start
   22:54:54 Music.Kill Finished
   22:54:54 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   10:54:54 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Start
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailRating
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailFileName
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailCustomFields
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailLastPlayed
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailNotes
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailDates
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails End
   10:54:56 PM Music.Prepare Start
   22:54:56 Music.Kill Start
   22:54:56 Music.Kill Finished
   22:54:56 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   10:54:57 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Start
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailRating
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailFileName
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailCustomFields
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailLastPlayed
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailNotes
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailDates
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails End
   10:55:05 PM Exception
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NJDave71 said:

What did that plugin do?  

It was this plugin,

Basically I was using the "one click download" part of it. You could right click a game with no video and click the "one click download" option and it would download a video from youtube and place it in your video folder. It had issues though if it wasn't a very well known game, I had many issues where it downloaded a movie trailer, or a video that was not game related at all but had a similar name. I also had cases of it downloading 3 hour long lets plays of games. It mostly did what you wanted but could be improved to make sure it only downloads files up to a certain file size or length, or to add the terms "game" and the "platform" it is for to the search string so it wouldn't download completely irrelevant videos. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Windows thinks it needs a restart when it cannot replace a file during an installation. So, there is some file coming from the LB installer (doesn't have to be a file inside the LB folder and probably isn't) that can't be replaced until Windows is rebooted. You can always check the registry next time to see what it is that Windows will replace on reboot.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc960241.aspx

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ckp said:

Windows thinks it needs a restart when it cannot replace a file during an installation. So, there is some file coming from the LB installer (doesn't have to be a file inside the LB folder and probably isn't) that can't be replaced until Windows is rebooted. You can always check the registry next time to see what it is that Windows will replace on reboot.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc960241.aspx

Thing is though, I say no to the restart and Launchbox has updated and is working just fine. So it doesn't "actually" need the restart it say's it does. So it doesn't seem to be a file it can't replace as it works just fine without the restart.