LaunchBox Community Forums

7.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Thing is though, I say no to the restart and Launchbox has updated and is working just fine. So it doesn't "actually" need the restart it say's it does. So it doesn't seem to be a file it can't replace as it works just fine without the restart.

Sure, it can work fine. It doesn't mean Windows doesn't need to replace a file though. Windows still wants to replace a file with a different file. The file it wants to replace doesn't mean LB won't work. It just needs to be replaced with one from the installer before it feels it is really done with the LB install. Check the registry key next time and you will see something there (or will see it now if you never rebooted since getting that message). 

Edited by ckp

Just now, ckp said:

Sure, it can work fine. It doesn't mean Windows doesn't need to replace a file though. Windows still wants to replace a file with a different file. The file it wants to replace doesn't mean LB won't work. It just needs to be replaced with one from the installer before it feels it is really done with the LB install.

OK that's fair enough, I have been prompted for the restart on the last 3 betas and always said no and suffered no ill effects when launching Launchbox. Good to know though, cheers @ckp. :)

If I ever got that message, I would indeed restart. LB may not appear to have any issues for you now, but it is possible that LB needs that changed file to do something somewhere in the application (and it may even be an invisible thing to an end user) and when/if you ever exercise that function, it may not work right or work at all. Then again, LB may not need this particular file change at all for anything. LB also installs other things like directx i think, so for whatever reason, one of those other things that LB installs (but is not coded by Jason) thinks you have some file or files that needs to be replaced. If you want to avoid any possible unnecessary troubles with applications in general, you should just reboot when Windows tells you to reboot. That way you don't go reporting some bug or problem to some developer and it turns out the issue was only caused because a reboot was not done as asked to truly complete an installation that the application may depend on.

6 hours ago, neil9000 said:

It was this plugin,

Basically I was using the "one click download" part of it. You could right click a game with no video and click the "one click download" option and it would download a video from youtube and place it in your video folder. It had issues though if it wasn't a very well known game, I had many issues where it downloaded a movie trailer, or a video that was not game related at all but had a similar name. I also had cases of it downloading 3 hour long lets plays of games. It mostly did what you wanted but could be improved to make sure it only downloads files up to a certain file size or length, or to add the terms "game" and the "platform" it is for to the search string so it wouldn't download completely irrelevant videos. 

I use that plugin too but only the scrapper option, the one click download is a mess.

21 minutes ago, Omen said:

I use that plugin too but only the scrapper option, the one click download is a mess.

Agreed, and if I have to input a URL anyway I prefer the one i already use which lets me download at 4k and at mp4 or mkv, and as a bonus lets me rip audio from youtube videos, which is great for live concerts as well as game audio. ;) 

20 hours ago, sagaopc said:

@Jason Carr you can create a plugin to download videos from youtube? because de author of the plugin doesn't log since july!

Apologies, but nope, that's not on my to-do list.

20 hours ago, alfredolvera said:

I see. So maybe we could use the log to signal the user (and you) that this might be a plugin related issue? Because at least in my case, I installed that plugin a long time ago to try it, didn't like it and just forgot that I had it installed. If the log said something like "Plugin Invoked, exception" maybe I could have figured it by myself! I know that maybe isn't that simple, but I know you can figure something out ;)

Thanks for the help, Jason :)

Yeah, I may do something about this if it's not too difficult before the next beta.

19 hours ago, neil9000 said:

@Jason Carr just got this error when clicking a megadrive/genesis game, appears that bug is back in beta 6.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
App:     LaunchBox
Version: 7.15-beta-6
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Unbroken.LaunchBox.RetroAchievements.Game] (System.String, System.String, System.String)
Source:  Unbroken.LaunchBox
   at (String , String , String )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.RetroAchievements.RetroAchievementsApi.GetGamesForConsole(String username, String apiKey, String consoleId)
   at (String , String , String , String )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.RetroAchievements.RetroAchievementsApi.GetGameInfoWithProgress(String username, String apiKey, String gameName, String platformName)
   at (<>c__DisplayClass80_0 )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Drawing.GameDetailsGui.<>c__DisplayClass80_0.<RefreshImage>b__0()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
Recent Log:
   10:54:45 PM Music.Pause Start
   10:54:45 PM Music.Prepare Start
   22:54:45 Music.Kill Start
   22:54:45 Music.Kill Finished
   22:54:45 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   10:54:45 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   10:54:54 PM Music.Pause Start
   10:54:54 PM Music.Prepare Start
   22:54:54 Music.Kill Start
   22:54:54 Music.Kill Finished
   22:54:54 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   10:54:54 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Start
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailRating
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailFileName
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailCustomFields
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailLastPlayed
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailNotes
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailDates
   10:54:56 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails End
   10:54:56 PM Music.Prepare Start
   22:54:56 Music.Kill Start
   22:54:56 Music.Kill Finished
   22:54:56 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   10:54:57 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Start
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailRating
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailFileName
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailCustomFields
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailLastPlayed
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailNotes
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailDates
   10:55:03 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails End
   10:55:05 PM Exception

Thanks Neil, just fixed this for the next beta.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sagaopc said:

@Jason Carr you can create a plugin to download videos from youtube? because de author of the plugin doesn't log since july!

Hello sagaopc, how do u do my friend?

In the Facebook has a brazilian group named Hyperspin Owner, has a guy called Fabyo Guimarães, he develops apps for Hyperspin, he could make the LB plugin for Youtube scrapper.

If you want, I'll give you an invitation.

Ah in some days I will release a complete Launchbox tutorial in portuguese.

Claudio

Beta 7 is out now guys; it should fix the bug(s) mentioned above. Here's the only other addition in this beta:

- New Feature: Two new options have been added to Tools > Options > Search: "Use Community Star Ratings when Filtering or Arranging by Star Rating" and "Minimum number of community ratings in order to use". These will allow you to specify whether or not you want to use the community star ratings when filtering and arranging your collection, and how many community votes are required before considering the value.

As far as I'm concerned, I think this provides all the added functionality and flexibility that most people will want in LaunchBox for the community ratings, so I'm planning to move on to Big Box next, which still needs all the community rating stuff. If, after trying the new beta, there's still a feature that you feel like you're missing, please let me know. No guarantees as to what will make it into the next official release, but I do need to know if there's a glaring omission.

Let me know if you guys run into any further bugs as well. Thanks as always. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lordmonkus said:

Sub folders for organizing games.

As much as I know there are a handful of very vocal users who really, really, really want that feature, at this point I still don't think it's all that common of a request. It is by far and large the biggest and most difficult task to accomplish of anything I have on my list, so I don't want to just jump into it until we at least put it onto another poll to confirm whether or not it's really a popular request.

Just now, shinra358 said:

Wouldnt randomized platform vids be quick and easy at this point since its already been done for startup vids (pretty much copy/paste w small edits)? Think you can smoke bomb that in?

Lol, unfortunately it's not quite that easy. But that does make sense. Probably won't make it into 7.15 though.

52 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 7 is out now guys; it should fix the bug(s) mentioned above. Here's the only other addition in this beta:

- New Feature: Two new options have been added to Tools > Options > Search: "Use Community Star Ratings when Filtering or Arranging by Star Rating" and "Minimum number of community ratings in order to use". These will allow you to specify whether or not you want to use the community star ratings when filtering and arranging your collection, and how many community votes are required before considering the value.

As far as I'm concerned, I think this provides all the added functionality and flexibility that most people will want in LaunchBox for the community ratings, so I'm planning to move on to Big Box next, which still needs all the community rating stuff. If, after trying the new beta, there's still a feature that you feel like you're missing, please let me know. No guarantees as to what will make it into the next official release, but I do need to know if there's a glaring omission.

Still hoping for an option/feature where the games list (text mode) in BigBox can stay centered, instead of continuous scrolling at the bottom or top. :)

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm not sure I understand how to filter by community rating?  The most useful functions for me would be to sort via the text grid, or use them to auto-populate a playlist.  Neither seems to be possible at the moment but maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by alnyden

16 hours ago, Cauptain said:

Hello sagaopc, how do u do my friend?

In the Facebook has a brazilian group named Hyperspin Owner, has a guy called Fabyo Guimarães, he develops apps for Hyperspin, he could make the LB plugin for Youtube scrapper.

If you want, I'll give you an invitation.

Ah in some days I will release a complete Launchbox tutorial in portuguese.

Claudio

Hi Caup! I miss you! come back to OS!!! Dxtory tutorials are very usefull! yup can you invite me please?

14 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

As much as I know there are a handful of very vocal users who really, really, really want that feature, at this point I still don't think it's all that common of a request. It is by far and large the biggest and most difficult task to accomplish of anything I have on my list, so I don't want to just jump into it until we at least put it onto another poll to confirm whether or not it's really a popular request.

Edit mode in big box like in launchbox! and a option to ON/OFF this function (to other that don't want to change)