LaunchBox Community Forums

7.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Noticed another bug. Before unlocking BB, I have nothing set as a button for star rating. I use R3 and L3 to quit an emu. And R3 to switch views in BB. If I don't unlock BB and I press that R3 or L3 while viewing games, itll tell me about star ratings can't be set. But I don't have anything set for star ratings.

Just put out beta 8, folks. This beta should fix the issue with .webm videos. It also adds three new fields to the list view in LaunchBox for star rating, community star rating, and community star rating count.

I've been trying to replicate the issues with the submit to games database plugin, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to replicate any issues at all. I wanted to see if I could somehow at least prevent the issue. Either the issue is fixed now (which I doubt), or I just haven't been able to trigger it. Please let me know if you guys are still getting that FormatException error when selecting games in LaunchBox with the plugin installed, and if you have any ideas on how to trigger it.

Thanks all. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/1/2017 at 8:10 PM, ckp said:

Reported on discord:

Fromlostdays-Today at 7:00 PM

So for the first time ever Launchbox keeps crashing on me. I can't really isolate what causes the crash, seem to be just clicking anything a few times. It's very frequent, has essentially become unasable. Bigbox is not affected

Log: Input string was not in a correct format. App: LaunchBox Version: 7.14 Type: System.FormatException Site: System.Object MarshaledInvoke(System.Windows.Forms.Control, System.Delegate, System.Object[], Boolean) Source: System.Windows.Forms at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args) at (MainForm , Game ) at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.MainForm.SetOneSelectedGameState(Game game) at (MainForm , Object , EventArgs ) at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.MainForm.gamesControl_SelectedGameChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e) at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Controls.GamesControlBase.OnSelectedGameChanged() at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Controls.ImageGamesControl.<selectionTimer_Tick>b__63_0() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

This is the same error that we keep hearing about, and it's somehow caused by the Submit to Games Database plugin. @CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT @ckp

On 12/2/2017 at 3:21 AM, teeedubb said:

Just noticed LB is displaying a strange community rating... Also the rating should be limited to one decimal place.

image.png

I did change this in the beta I just put out as well; it now shows up to two decimal places.

On 12/2/2017 at 9:39 AM, NJDave71 said:

I am now seeing Black screens during Video Startup on first Attempt in the latest beta.  I am using WMP as my default player.

I am seeing Multiple Instances of the same Game being Launched from the game detail screen. 

Random Crashes Navigating the BB UI 

I started noticing issues just before Retro Achievements were implemented.

I do see the black screen startup video issue every once in a while as well. It's not gonna be a fun one to figure out and fix, because it's so random. But it is on my list.

The process to launch games hasn't been changed in ages, so there's certainly no new issues there, but more could probably be done to prevent multiple game launches. Per random crashes, please let me know as many details as you can, such as what view you're on and what you were doing at the time. I'll run it on a few of my systems over here for a while and see if I have any of the same issues.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

This is the same error that we keep hearing about, and it's somehow caused by the Submit to Games Database plugin. @CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT @ckp

I did change this in the beta I just put out as well; it now shows up to two decimal places.

I do see the black screen startup video issue every once in a while as well. It's not gonna be a fun one to figure out and fix, because it's so random. But it is on my list.

The process to launch games hasn't been changed in ages, so there's certainly no new issues there, but more could probably be done to prevent multiple game launches. Per random crashes, please let me know as many details as you can, such as what view you're on and what you were doing at the time. I'll run it on a few of my systems over here for a while and see if I have any of the same issues.

I have isolated the Multiple Game Launches to the Game details screen. 

Once a game is selected there should be a way to prevent another call until the game Launches, Fails to Launch or returning back to BB/LB after leaving the emulator. 

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

... It also adds three new fields to the list view in LaunchBox for star rating, community star rating, and community star rating count.

Now that you are adding new fields to LB at the moment, is there any chance to finally get the „Max Players“ field added from the LBDB into LB? :)

On 12/3/2017 at 4:37 PM, shinra358 said:

Noticed another bug. Before unlocking BB, I have nothing set as a button for star rating. I use R3 and L3 to quit an emu. And R3 to switch views in BB. If I don't unlock BB and I press that R3 or L3 while viewing games, itll tell me about star ratings can't be set. But I don't have anything set for star ratings.

@Jason Carr

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Just put out beta 8, folks. This beta should fix the issue with .webm videos. It also adds three new fields to the list view in LaunchBox for star rating, community star rating, and community star rating count.

I've been trying to replicate the issues with the submit to games database plugin, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to replicate any issues at all. I wanted to see if I could somehow at least prevent the issue. Either the issue is fixed now (which I doubt), or I just haven't been able to trigger it. Please let me know if you guys are still getting that FormatException error when selecting games in LaunchBox with the plugin installed, and if you have any ideas on how to trigger it.

Thanks all. :)

Thanks for adding the list view fields!

• Like 1

On 12/2/2017 at 9:55 AM, shinra358 said:

Closing the vba-m emulator through bigbox causes vba-m to go to window mode first. Causing it to stay in window mode on next game play. Telling bigbox to close Vba-m with alt-f4 instead will fix this issue.

Good to know. I'll put that on my list.

On 12/3/2017 at 1:37 PM, shinra358 said:

Can you zip up and send me your LaunchBox\Data folder so I can figure this out @shinra358? As always, make sure to PM it instead of posting it here for privacy reasons. Are you using a 360 controller?

On 12/4/2017 at 12:02 PM, Zombeaver said:

Did I misread something previously or wasn't the Youtube downloader plugin supposed to be causing some issue as well? I use it and haven't had any problems lately but I thought I saw someone saying that it was causing problems as well.

Yes, we did hear that, although I believe it was causing a different error than the one we keep seeing here.

On 12/4/2017 at 12:21 PM, NJDave71 said:

I have isolated the Multiple Game Launches to the Game details screen. 

Once a game is selected there should be a way to prevent another call until the game Launches, Fails to Launch or returning back to BB/LB after leaving the emulator. 

I am able to replicate this by spamming the key over and over. It takes some effort on my systems, but I am able to get it to happen, so it's on my list.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

Now that you are adding new fields to LB at the moment, is there any chance to finally get the „Max Players“ field added from the LBDB into LB? :)

I put this on my shortlist Cid. It would be significant effort to do it right now so I won't get it into 7.15, but hopefully soon.

• Like 1

And beta 9 is out. I added a bunch of safeguards to hopefully prevent the errors in LaunchBox that are due to the submit to games database plugin. I still haven't been able to replicate the issue on my end, but I'm guessing that this will fix the issue. Please let me know if anyone is still getting the FormatException error on selecting things in LaunchBox.

Also, the community star ratings and partial star ratings are in Big Box now as well. Finally, custom playlists (auto-populate playlists) now work with the star ratings/community star ratings and their related settings (minimum number of community star ratings to consider, etc.).

We're in pretty good shape at this point I think (I hope). I have a few bugs to look into, but other than that we'll be looking to put out 7.15 shortly. :)

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I thought input mapper was the preferred choice these days?

Nah, input mapper has always been behind. Plus it has an installation and ads while the new ds4w doesnt (im personally overseeing the project as far as 75% of the features and 1/2 of the bug findings). You already know my eyes have eagle precision lmao.

27 minutes ago, NJDave71 said:

So far so good with latest beta.  I turned off game details since it was double launching games.  The UI is much smoother and hasn't been freezing up like previous betas.

In all honesty, literally nothing was done to improve stability in this beta from the last one, so that's skeptical since all I did was add new features and prevent plugin errors from popping up in LaunchBox. So I'm lost there.