LaunchBox Community Forums

Bally Astrocade games not launching

jokerf1

Thanks, that got it. My problem I was changing the command line on the main 'Emulator Details' tab instead of for the individual platform on the 'Associated Platforms' tab.
And for whatever reason after getting that all set up I scanned for additional roms and it picked everything up... not sure why it only scanned a handful on the initial rom import.

• 1 year later...

Using there inside retroarch

core options did the trick

mess_alternate_renderer = "disabled"
mess_auto_save = "disabled"
mess_boot_from_cli = "enabled"
mess_boot_to_bios = "disabled"
mess_boot_to_osd = "disabled"
mess_cheats_enable = "enabled"
mess_media_type = "cart"
mess_mouse_enable = "disabled"
mess_read_config = "enabled"
mess_saves = "game"
mess_softlists_auto_media = "enabled"
mess_softlists_enable = "enabled"
mess_throttle = "disabled"
mess_write_config = "enabled"

Unfortunately it needs the Don't use quotes 

that breaks the mame core :(

So I need to check/uncheck depending the core I want to use

Edited by Wally

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm doing a new build. For retroarch, I could not get Astrocade to work at all unless I named the folder the games reside in, astrocde. Letting LaunchBox copy the games into the games folder and naming it Bally Astrocade wouldn't work. Only when I renamed that folder to astrocde and pointed the games to that location would it work. This is with the mame_libretro (0.220) core. I believe this rule is true with the VTech Creativision as well as the Emerson Arcadia 2001 systems using the folder names crvision and arcadia respectively. I previously had those systems set up in an old build, but they are honestly not worth your time. The Astrocade has some fun games on it though, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. This topic pointed me in the right direction with the folder names. If those retropie nerds can figure it out, why can't I copy them? Just kidding. I'd be willing to bet that the rom folder name is true for MAME as well if using roms as opposed to software list games. Not sure though. https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/22600/how-to-emulate-bally-astrocade-vtech-creativision-and-emerson-arcadia-2001-in-lr-mess

Mame (Previously MESS) through Retroarch works good when you can get it working. If it wasn't for the awesome overlays and shaders, I wouldn't have bothered. I guess I could have used stand alone MAME, but where is the fun in that? Plus, I like a challenge.

I'm saving this info here so maybe the next time I set up Astrocade, I'll be able to find the info quickly without wasting hours and hours looking for this crucial piece of the puzzle, LOL. Maybe this will help someone else trying to set this up? Before anyone asks. Yes. You have to have the Astrocade bios files inside the astrocde folder with the roms. Oh, and you'll need a hash folder inside a folder named mame inside the system folder within RetroArch. You'll need to scavenge this from a working MAME install, or you can find a link to the hash files in the page I linked to above.

The Astrocade controller had a dial on it and it was used to pick game, number of players, etc. An analog stick on a controller (xbone, PS, etc) can be used for the dial. A mouse or spinner can also be used but this is a little beyond the scope here. Once you figure out how to use a dial with this system, it makes it simple and fun to play.

Here is the Astrocade overlay I made for my new build. I'm building vertical overlays for all my systems and using the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader when possible.

Demo.thumb.png.74f960fcbf1e711f2253111677328cb4.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/1/2023 at 4:06 AM, Damedus said:

i cant get baly to work under retroarch is it possible to get a updated guide on how to i renamed the games folder and all but retroarch simply closes

Go to Tools - Manage - Emulators - Mame, add Bally Aastrocade into the associated platform section, then use this command line parameters:

astrocde -cart %romfile%