LaunchBox Community Forums

9.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

22 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I looked into this recently and the VLC 3.x series unfortunately makes some major changes that will require significant work to get working with LaunchBox and Big Box. It is on my list, but as it's not a simple task, it's currently not my highest priority.

Thanks and no worries. Just being a security person.  I like to make sure I patch software that has known issues.  Thanks Jason.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brandito said:

I think in the play lists view it would make sense to be able to combine all like playlists into a single play list, so the list contains games from multiple platforms, or maybe easier to code would be to have them as children under the platform?

I have no idea how much of an undertaking that would be, just throwing the idea out there.

Having them as children under the platform is pretty much exactly what you get with the platform categories. Have you tried the platform categories view?

27 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Having them as children under the platform is pretty much exactly what you get with the platform categories. Have you tried the platform categories view?

Yes, that view is fine, I see the playlist view as still being valuable. I have playlist, platform category and platform views set to hotkeys.

It sounds like if I want console playlists I just need to not use the playlists view.

2 minutes ago, Brandito said:

Yes, that view is fine, I see the playlist view as still being valuable. I have playlist, platform category and platform views set to hotkeys.

It sounds like if I want console playlists I just need to not use the playlists view.

Yeah, for the moment, it seems that way, though I see now how it could be an issue for some people. At some point we may look to overhaul that playlists view.

I do not know whether the below can be possible or not at the moment.

I mainly use BB to game, and would really like to use the Genres feature, but I do not want to generate dozens of Genres lists for each Platform (I like the clean look of my set up platforms); my idea would like to map a button to an action (let's call it 'Genres') so when pressed, depending on the Platform I'm in, it switches to the Genres list, and when choosing one of those genres, it would show me the games under that genre inside the Platform I pressed to button in.
If for example I press the 'Genres' button in the Platforms main screen, it switches to the Genres list, and its content would be for all the games from my set.

Makes sense?

Edited by Kondorito

1 hour ago, Kondorito said:

I do not know whether the below can be possible or not at the moment.

I mainly use BB to game, and would really like to use the Genres feature, but I do not want to generate dozens of Genres lists for each Platform (I like the clean look of my set up platforms); my idea would like to map a button to an action (let's call it 'Genres') so when pressed, depending on the Platform I'm in, it switches to the Genres list, and when choosing one of those genres, it would show me the games under that genre inside the Platform I pressed to button in.
If for example I press the 'Genres' button in the Platforms main screen, it switches to the Genres list, and its content would be for all the games from my set.

Makes sense?

We might be able to do something of that nature in the future. One disadvantage of that approach is that it wouldn't be usable by anyone without training, unless you had a button on your console marked "Filter by Genres" or something. Still, I can see that being useful. One idea that has come up before is to add a new button to the alphanumeric index bar with some simple filter options, so we'll probably go that route eventually.

55 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

We might be able to do something of that nature in the future. One disadvantage of that approach is that it wouldn't be usable by anyone without training, unless you had a button on your console marked "Filter by Genres" or something. Still, I can see that being useful. One idea that has come up before is to add a new button to the alphanumeric index bar with some simple filter options, so we'll probably go that route eventually.

Awesome.

I like the index bar approach as well :) The less button presses and menu navigation layers the merrier.

Thanks for taking it into consideration.

@Omen @neil9000 this is an issue with my plugin. My plugin pretty much governs the command line for ps2 games, and I don't think I ever fully considered the idea of changing that when there was no config present. It should be easy enough to fix but don't know when I'll get around to doing it. I've taken a bit of a break from the plugin's development as of late.

• Like 1

When I do a full set install of mame even though I have skip  mechanical CHECKED, i still get about 4,000 Deviced added. You can see them when you sort by Genere. I do have unchecked skip unplayable games(so Naomi and other roms still get installed).

450BCD84-CA2E-461E-A8B0-98C5E9BE87FD.thumb.png.d26444c9af4caab4b4e5280a488f4941.png

Edited by natemac00

I am seeing in 9.0 when you have Platform selected that it is also show some playlists.  for me it's the Capcom stuff.  As you can see in the image the I have Platform selected but some playlists are still showing up and with different counts for Capcom Play System.  One have 32 and the other 30.  Has anyone else seen this?

playlists err.PNG

11 hours ago, natemac00 said:

When I do a full set install of mame even though I have skip  mechanical CHECKED, i still get about 4,000 Deviced added. You can see them when you sort by Genere. I do have unchecked skip unplayable games(so Naomi and other roms still get installed).

450BCD84-CA2E-461E-A8B0-98C5E9BE87FD.thumb.png.d26444c9af4caab4b4e5280a488f4941.png

If you take a look at the MAME.xml file in a text editor, you can see the reasons for why games are or are not excluded. That data comes from MAME. It's not always perfect, but it's very close.

2 hours ago, dbalcar said:

I am seeing in 9.0 when you have Platform selected that it is also show some playlists.  for me it's the Capcom stuff.  As you can see in the image the I have Platform selected but some playlists are still showing up and with different counts for Capcom Play System.  One have 32 and the other 30.  Has anyone else seen this?

playlists err.PNG

It looks like you have duplicated arcade playlists. I'm guessing one is the old style and one is the new style playlists. You can manually delete them and then just go to Tools > Create Missing MAME/Arcade playlists.