LaunchBox Community Forums

Neon Deluxe Arcade - Big Box Theme

View File

Note: This thread will not be pushed to the front in the "whats new" section once updated in the future, if you want notifications for future updates be sure to follow this page by using the follow button in the upper right corner.

Huge thanks goes out to @Hexxxer for his amazing theme (FutureState) framework and controls (HexControls.dll), without his work I couldn't have made this theme.

-----------------------------------------------------

INTRO

This theme is a sequel to my previous Futurestate Neon Deluxe theme, it looks a lot like the theme but has some features that the prequel had not; like embedded fonts (no need to install fonts, thanks to @Jason Carr) and much more, you just have to see it for yourself. My main goal with this theme is to create a virtual arcade building kinda like 'New Retro Arcade'.

Neon Deluxe Arcade is a series of themes and elements, if you like you can download these to accompany the complete theme:

Neon Deluxe Arcade - Launchbox Theme

Neon Deluxe Arcade - Startup Theme (Street)

Neon Deluxe Arcade - Startup Theme (Inside)

Mr. RetroLust's Realistic Retroarch Bezels (Same style > Dimmed lit retro gaming)

This theme uses a softer version of Marquee screen FX, if you like there is more choice at Realistic Marquee Monitor FX

Transparent background Mame PCB's (circuit boards): Over here

You can find transparent background arcade cabinets here at Arcade Cabinets Project 2.0

Video of early version:

Video of v2.0 with a new view:

-----------------------------------------------------

INSTALLATION

Download the theme from Big Box's theme manager or download the zip file here and extract the content to Launchbox/Themes/NeonDeluxeArcade/

You might need to unblock the .DLL's in the plugin folder for them to work properly.

To make the placeholder work which shows the Cabinets/Advertisement Flyer - Back/Box Back in the screenshots it first needs some changes in your image priority settings within Launchbox. As the cabinets don't have their own placeholder to be coded in a theme I used the Cart 3D placeholder as I figured most people will only use one cart view or can set Cart 3D in image priorities to Cart Front. You can control a lot to your liking within image priorities, as long as you remember it's Cart 3D for this placeholder.
My setup in image priorities within Launchbox options:

727268982__ImagePrioritysettingsexample.thumb.png.3c7761005ade76d872eb6d5317a0fe02.pngTIPS

1. This theme uses images and video pretty heavy, it could run slower on older systems. I recommend doing the following to speed up Big Box greatly: 

• Uncheck all Background Images in launchbox/settings/image priorities
  • Set all transitions to "None" in BigBox settings
  • Use the Clean Up media tool in launchbox/tools/Clean Up Media... (this can really speed up lists with thousands of games and duplicate media)
  • Let Launchbox cache your images

2. This theme is probably only fit for use on a 16:9 aspect ratio.

3. If you use a 4K display you probably have to set the Windows dpi settings to 200% in order to keep the layout intact.

Hope you like and enjoy! ?

• 3 weeks later...

This theme looks amazing, and so downloading this (for Bigbox, via Bigbox) was my first attempt at changing from the default theme.

I attempted the follow the directions (although I don't really understand what all those "priorities" settings mean), and it all seems to work except....

when going from game to game in the "all games" list, I see a text/informational screen, but no video appears.  If I select the game, and the full-screen game informational screen appears, same thing, no video.  I select the option to "play video full screen" and it does, but no video appears or plays otherwise.

I downloaded and tried other other themes, and they all have videos that play when selecting games, so I'm confused at what I'm doing wrong to prevent this amazing-looking theme to not play videos.

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question, but I spent several hours futzing with it and nothing seemed to make any difference.

Ideas?

Thanks!

-Mike

Yes, sort of.  The 'v' (or 'V') does nothing for me, but going back into Settings->Views and changing the view does prove that the videos show on some views but not others.  But I want to use the "list view with details" since the long game list is easiest to navigate using that one.  Using that one, no videos display on the right-hand side long with the game information.

Perhaps it's just that this theme doesn't allow for that (unlike so many other themes).  I'd like to hear from the author of this theme for a definitive answer, if possible.

Thanks,

-Mike

15 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Yeah this theme is not coded for videos in List (or Text Games) view. 

Thanks for that info!

If it makes any difference, I'd like to submit my vote for this to change in the future.  This is a fantastic-looking theme, but not having videos (or using a view that doesn't perform well on my box) isn't a good trade-off for me.  I'll probably switch to another theme and check back to see if this is ever implemented in the future.

Thanks!

-Mike

I've got a question...  When in preview mode of a game, there is a star rating in the bottom right corner.  This rating only populates with the UserRating and not the CommunityRating for me.    (So they're all zero stars unless I give it my own rating)   If it means anything, I'm able to see the CommunityRating on all the games in LaunchBox.

Is there a way for me to have the theme only use CommunityRating?  

On 7/17/2019 at 6:03 PM, FingerCramp said:

Thanks for that info!

If it makes any difference, I'd like to submit my vote for this to change in the future.  This is a fantastic-looking theme, but not having videos (or using a view that doesn't perform well on my box) isn't a good trade-off for me.  I'll probably switch to another theme and check back to see if this is ever implemented in the future.

Thanks!

-Mike

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I didnt get any notifications of posts in this thread. I'll look into this in the future.

8 hours ago, Maxout said:

I've got a question...  When in preview mode of a game, there is a star rating in the bottom right corner.  This rating only populates with the UserRating and not the CommunityRating for me.    (So they're all zero stars unless I give it my own rating)   If it means anything, I'm able to see the CommunityRating on all the games in LaunchBox.

The star rating piece was coded by Hexxer, this question was asked before with the previous theme, he might look into this but I think he's very busy.

11 hours ago, Maxout said:

Have you tried accessing the xaml file of the view you are referring to, and checking how are the "StarRating" and "CommunityStarRating" binded? Maybe with just a simple modification in the xamls you can change the regular rating to the community one (currently not at home so I cannot check directly).

46 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

Have you tried accessing the xaml file of the view you are referring to, and checking how are the "StarRating" and "CommunityStarRating" binded? Maybe with just a simple modification in the xamls you can change the regular rating to the community one (currently not at home so I cannot check directly).

I'm not seeing anything with 'star' in the various files, so either I'm looking in the wrong place or it's hard coded.   I'll take another look to double check.

Worst case is I write a little regex to copy over the data and move on to the next item.  

3 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

The star rating piece was coded by Hexxer, this question was asked before with the previous theme, he might look into this but I think he's very busy.

Ahh, good to know it's not me unknowingly having something misconfigured.   Appreciate the heads up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maxout said:

I'm not seeing anything with 'star' in the various files, so either I'm looking in the wrong place or it's hard coded.   I'll take another look to double check.

Worst case is I write a little regex to copy over the data and move on to the next item. 

Check the xaml files inside the "Views" folder in the theme (WheelGames, 2, 3, 4, for example), and see if there are any StarRating or CommunityStarRating, or something like that. Maybe the Hexxer piece was indeed coded only for user rating and cannot be overrode.

12 hours ago, Maxout said:

The theme is coded to show both User and Star Rating up in the metadata/details section of each of the view. So you will see code referring to that.  

The Star Rating image in the bottom right of the views is controlled by the code below. I could not tell you how to alter it as it is using an Image To Source Converter to convert the metadata it reads to display the correct image. I think User Rating is scaled in .25 increments and Community Rating is more refined so it may need a bit more changing in the code than just a simple Binding change. My code knowledge is very elementary so I am not too sure. 

<Image Name="RatingImage" Source="{Binding Path=SelectedGame.RatingImage, Converter={StaticResource ImageToSourceConverter}}" DockPanel.Dock="right" Margin="5"/>

• Like 1

I can't reach everyone that uses this theme so I hope I can reach enough people here, I'm thinking of removing the star ratings (as it's not needed seeing the rating is also in the left details panel) and replace it with a digital clock displaying the current time in the upper right corner swapping it with developer and publisher. Is that something you would like or is the star rating very important to you? Please share your opinion :)

Hmm I thought I’d try it really quickly .... sorry for the dumb question but anyone know what it takes to get BigBox to recognize that there’s a new version?

(Yeah I’m sure I can figure out how to download manually and track down the folder to unzip in, etc. but was trying to do it the lazy way to save time while I pack for my trip). 

Thanks,

-Mike

11 hours ago, FingerCramp said:

Hmm I thought I’d try it really quickly .... sorry for the dumb question but anyone know what it takes to get BigBox to recognize that there’s a new version?

(Yeah I’m sure I can figure out how to download manually and track down the folder to unzip in, etc. but was trying to do it the lazy way to save time while I pack for my trip). 

Thanks,

-Mike

Downloading from the theme manager in BigBox will only recognize a new version after its approved if the creator uploaded it through the theme manager upload. 

If it was only added directly here to the forum you have to download the zip from the forum and just extract it.