LaunchBox Community Forums

9.11-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

3 minutes ago, Darkseid001 said:

If you look at all the platforms retroarch is available on its insane they have all bases covered.  I had no idea you could install it on like a ps3 so really having LB available on as many platforms as possible isn't that bad an idea as long as it doesn't take away from windows development!!!

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Sadly I don't think PS3 runs Android. At this point, it's only for Android-based devices.

You can run Android on hacked Switches now. ;) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Darkseid001 said:

If you look at all the platforms retroarch is available on its insane they have all bases covered.  I had no idea you could install it on like a ps3 so really having LB available on as many platforms as possible isn't that bad an idea as long as it doesn't take away from windows development!!!

PS3 uses Power PC and is a pain in the ass to code for (IMHO).

Sure you can use an SDK to compile , but if you use the official $ony SDK you will be sued by evil corporate lawyers. 

Yeah took this long to get LB on a second platform lets not jump out the window and try to turn it into Plex or RetroArch which both run on smart refrigerators. Okay not really but I feel Plex is a program where now they worry so much about adding new platforms they never actually add an new features.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PattersonCZ said:

...maybe i dont understand programming but from my look of things even basic or easy to implement things take too long.

See that sentence? The part where you admit you have no understanding whatsoever of development?

That's the precise moment where your "complaint" ceased to be constructive. If it ever was.

Hey @Jason Carr, is there an issue with the database? Trying to import some roms and it doesn't go any further than 'Refreshing local metadata from Launchbox Games Databse.' Just an infinite loop.

I think this happened previously. When I uncheck the recommended option during the importing wizard and use Wikipedia it works a charm.

Edited by Thornback

1 hour ago, Thornback said:

Hey @Jason Carr, is there an issue with the database? Trying to import some roms and it doesn't go any further than 'Refreshing local metadata from Launchbox Games Databse.' Just an infinite loop.

I think this happened previously. When I uncheck the recommended option during the importing wizard and use Wikipedia it works a charm.

I just tested everything and all appears to be well, so it must just be some kind of connection error, or a weird hiccup in the interwebs between your machine and the server, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I just tested everything and all appears to be well, so it must just be some kind of connection error, or a weird hiccup in the interwebs between your machine and the server, I guess.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Is there a way to test that it is my connection?

1 minute ago, Thornback said:

Thanks for the quick reply!

Is there a way to test that it is my connection?

Unfortunately I don't really have a tried and true test, no. The best test I can do is to just verify that everything is up and running and that I can connect to it properly from where I'm at (and use a VPN to test locations around the world). Unfortunately the Internet can occasionally be a fickle beast connecting various locations around the world. Where are you located and who is your ISP?

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately I don't really have a tried and true test, no. The best test I can do is to just verify that everything is up and running and that I can connect to it properly from where I'm at (and use a VPN to test locations around the world). Unfortunately the Internet can occasionally be a fickle beast connecting various locations around the world. Where are you located and who is your ISP?

I'm with iiNet in Australia. Should i try re-routing my traffic through a VPN? Perhaps it doesn't like people Down Under.

EDIT: Tried that but to no avail.

Edited by Thornback

1 minute ago, Thornback said:

I'm with iiNet in Australia. Should i try re-routing my traffic through a VPN? Perhaps it doesn't like people Down Under.

Gotcha. Yes, we have had good luck re-routing traffic through VPNs on occasion, so that is definitely worth a try. Sometimes traffic gets routed differently, which can help, and it also gets around any ISP filtering/slowdowns. I have observed that some ISPs are unfortunately slowing down our traffic, so VPNs can solve a number of issues. :)

1 hour ago, Thornback said:

Got there in the end. I just let it do its things for some 15 min and it eventually worked. Subsequent runs are much faster now.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Holy Cow!!!! An Aussie with a Computer ???? I thought you guys had just discovered the wheel ;)

This has been an automated message from your friendly neibourhood Pommie :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

using Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18956 and launchbox and even bigbox fail to load

Worked fine, before the update via MS, I've removed launchbox - re-installed, installed to different directory. not worked, tried to rollback my OS not worked.  what is odd, is that launchbox works and launches fine in Steam via none steam shortcut, however try and open the options launchbox crashes.

Sadly using Steam, MAME doesn't use my controller, tried dinput, xinput, nothing works.

Shame, any ideas anyone?

edit - bigbox attempts to load via Steam, it tried to load the first screen, it starts to play the intro sound, gets stuck, gives up and crashes back to desktop. tried to remove the settings.xml files, it makes no difference.  I fear Windows 10 18956 might have broken something here.

edit again - DOS76 a member on this forum fixed it, in a previous post, unbelievable it was RIVA tuner, I should have known as this application has tripped me up before. Nothing to do with Preview build 18956 - problem solved. And thank you to DOS76

Edited by mickbench
  • Like 1

This has been a bug for a long time, and since it's still happening I'd like to report it as it gets really tiring.

When you try to change "Box - Front" (to another category or simply delete it), I get "it is being used by another process" error when I click "OK".
I have to close "Edit Game", open the edit window a few more times and attempt to do it again (sometimes even takes 10 tries) to get it through.

iwVieMa.png

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, ZeSystem said:

This has been a bug for a long time, and since it's still happening I'd like to report it as it gets really tiring.

When you try to change "Box - Front" (to another category or simply delete it), I get "it is being used by another process" error when I click "OK".
I have to close "Edit Game", open the edit window a few more times and attempt to do it again (sometimes even takes 10 tries) to get it through.

iwVieMa.png

I am aware of this issue, but it's defeated me a couple times in trying to fix it. It's still high up on my list though, so I'll bang my head against it again soon.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:35 AM, work11 said:

The PrioritizedPathSelector control that is used in a number of Big Box themes has been fixed to ignore characters in titles that are invalid in the file system

Is there a reason why you're quoting this here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darkseid001 said:

What about background music it only play 1 or 2 songs over and over it dosen't randomize anything

I have yet to be able to replicate this. I've tested it on several occasions, and it seems to be working fine, so I'm lost on it currently. Has anyone else seen any issues with background music randomization?

I just put out the 10.0-beta-2 release. I decided to switch up to the 10.0 release (instead of 9.11), because I've made some major backend changes to support Android and such. This new beta includes the following:

• New Feature: A new Export to Android wizard is now available under the tools menu

• Fixed: Big Box was erroring in some situations for games without any platform set (and possibly no games found situations)

I'm currently waiting on Google to approve the Android release, but that should be out in beta form very soon. I'll create a new forum post for the Android release when it's out.

• Like 4
  • Unusual Gem 1