LaunchBox Community Forums

9.11-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Just wondering if there’s a bit of a roadmap/poll for Android port additional features?

Very nice to see the port becoming a thing, as yet I cant make the move from HS Android on STV but I may give it a little test this week on my phone, my LB setup is minimal.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:35 PM, neil9000 said:

It will be the same price for everyone. $5 to start i believe but that may increase when its more fully featured.

But If I buy it when it's $5 do I still need to buy it again, when the price have increased??

I have nothing against to pay more, since I have been waiting for this forever, but still, it's good to know :)

On 8/18/2019 at 6:43 AM, ALIE said:

Question. Will LB Android easily be able to import games downloaded from the App store.. Sorry if it's a dumbass question ??

Yes, though not in this initial release. That's pretty important though so that will be coming soon.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:00 AM, Wanderer189 said:

I just wanted to give a little input on the LB for Android. I have been rooting for this for a year or 2 now as I love my LB/BB and am thrilled to see it happening!

From what I have learned so far, I think the export from a PC feature is genius!  I love that it copies of my artwork, as I have done much customization to it for speed rather than scraping again.

I am extremely curious how well or even if the new LB app is going to play well with SMB shares / NAS's, etc. If you have TB's of games as I do, it is essential to not have multiple copies every where, but be able to have to stored in one place and all the devices be able to access them from the single location. I am able to do that now using my current front-end on my android devices. Anyone have any info on this?

The issue with using a NAS is that you'd have to be local to the NAS, or have some kind of a public-facing web server hosting all the stuff. Plex does it well but it's very complicated. It's possible that we might support something like this eventually, but it's a fairly long ways off. The initial goal for the app is just to make everything work locally, and with the size and cost of SD cards these days, I don't see that as too much of a hindrance.

22 hours ago, GonjaT said:

Hi. I have come across an issue with android export in launchbox. Please remove if this is in the wrong spot. When I export ps1 games, I have a game with 4 disc's, all have .cue and .bin files. It will only copy the cue from disc one, and that's all and no othe bins or cues for disc one to four. The same happens with single disc games with cue files, it will just export the cue and not the associated bin file. Thanks for the great work though. Been using launchbox since 2014 ish. Have a great day!

I have a list of known issues that I was waiting to post until Google finally approves the Android app and it goes live, but this is a known issue that I was planning on posting. Bin and cue files will be supported, but they're not supported yet.

9 minutes ago, mosestyle said:

But If I buy it when it's $5 do I still need to buy it again, when the price have increased??

I have nothing against to pay more, since I have been waiting for this forever, but still, it's good to know :)

Nope. If you get in early at $5, you'll have it forever for that price. :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thatman84 said:

Just wondering if there’s a bit of a roadmap/poll for Android port additional features?

Very nice to see the port becoming a thing, as yet I cant make the move from HS Android on STV but I may give it a little test this week on my phone, my LB setup is minimal.

Not as of yet. I have a lot of things to flesh out before we'd do any kind of a poll, and a lot of things are still in the planning stages.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Not as of yet. I have a lot of things to flesh out before we'd do any kind of a poll, and a lot of things are still in the planning stages.

I bet.........Thanks for the reply. I look forward to digging into some of the tricky android systems and helping out where I can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

No chance, how would you add your roms to it when its completely locked down and has no file explorer?

iOS allows side loading files and apps without jailbreaking now, and the Files app is a limited file explorer. Not saying it’s ever going to happen, just pointing out that iOS has become more open than most people know. Not Android level, but better than it was in the past. 

On 8/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, andyco47 said:

wot about launchbox for ios??

We may do this at some point in the future (if the demand is high enough), but since Apple doesn't allow emulators in their store, you'd have to have a rooted device in order to use it for emulation. My guess would be that Apple wouldn't allow LaunchBox in the Apple Store either, but I'm not really sure.

The good news though is that we're using Xamarin, which supports both Android and iOS, so porting the Android version to iOS wouldn't require starting over from scratch.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:43 PM, OhBoy said:

iOS allows side loading files and apps without jailbreaking now, and the Files app is a limited file explorer. Not saying it’s ever going to happen, just pointing out that iOS has become more open than most people know. Not Android level, but better than it was in the past. 

Have they started allowing emulators in the store yet though? That's the biggest limiting factor as far as I know.

On 8/20/2019 at 2:12 PM, ed20910 said:

@Jason Carr Curious, will the android app be tied to one google account or will it have the "family share" feature?

I'm not entirely sure yet, to be honest, because I don't know how it all works. But I'll make that decision here shortly.

To update everyone, unfortunately I'm still waiting on Google. On Tuesday, they rejected the submission with complaints that they couldn't properly test the app because it was bugged. I *think* this just happened because they couldn't be bothered to test the desktop export process, and so they didn't have any data to test with, and just gave up. So I went back to work and added a feature that automatically adds native Android applications into an Android platform, so that they'll hopefully have data to play with. I submitted that version also Tuesday morning and I haven't heard back yet. The site says another three-day wait.

I'll admit that I'm a bit frustrated, but as I want to use the Play Store, I don't really have much choice. If we keep running into garbage though, I'll have no choice but to bypass the Play Store. But if that happens, it'll be a pain for users because they'll have to enable the side loading of apps on their devices, which I would much prefer users not to have to do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

34 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Have they started allowing emulators in the store yet though? That's the biggest limiting factor as far as I know.

No they haven’t, and you’re right that’s a huge limiting factor. The average joe isn’t gonna side load emulators, or search everywhere for them.

• Like 2