LaunchBox Community Forums

9.11-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

The first 9.11 beta is out now with the following:

• Fixed: The PrioritizedPathSelector control that is used in a number of Big Box themes has been fixed to ignore characters in titles that are invalid in the file system
  • Fixed: The LEDBlinky implementation was throwing errors if you happen to have invalid characters in game file paths
  • Fixed: When scanning for added ROMs, LaunchBox was not properly using the default emulator on the added games (was using the first emulator found for that platform instead)
  • Fixed: Potential errors when loading up empty platforms in Big Box
  • Fixed: Platforms with mismatched capitalization (Nintendo Entertainment System vs. Nintendo entertainment system) were sometimes causing games to not show up in Big Box

Just some random fixes at this point. :)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Just to update everyone, I am currently focusing on Android development. The Android app ended up in the top ten in the poll, and over 30% of users want it, so I definitely think it's worth tackling at this point. I plan to spend the next month or so mostly focusing on Android development, including the desktop features that will also be needed. I tweeted out this image as a sneak peak:

• Like 6
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

I respect the poll verdict and your decisions (all correct so far) but on my mind Android and retro-gaming do not get along nicely.

I can only use Android for Game & Watch emulation. I cannot bare it for anything else.

Launchbox is an extensive launcher, with many details (due to your hard work) that I think that they will be wasted on mobile phones.

I know I sound like an old strange guy but even RetroArch, in my eyes, got slowed down once it expanded on Android and Switch extensively (in the past they were forks like PSP RetroArch etc but it were just forks)

Anyway, I trust your work and Launchbox is one of the few apps I happily spend money on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally said:

I respect the poll verdict and your decisions (all correct so far) but on my mind Android and retro-gaming do not get along nicely.

I can only use Android for Game & Watch emulation. I cannot bare it for anything else.

Launchbox is an extensive launcher, with many details (due to your hard work) that I think that they will be wasted on mobile phones.

I know I sound like an old strange guy but even RetroArch, in my eyes, got slowed down once it expanded on Android and Switch extensively (in the past they were forks like PSP RetroArch etc but it were just forks)

Anyway, I trust your work and Launchbox is one of the few apps I happily spend money on.

I am with your meaning. so I will no longer expect anything great enhancement from the Windows Version any longer. LB/BB is indeed great (Jason did a very good job) but now with the Android Fragmentation there will be a Hugh amount of new users who will flooding the board with questions about android and questions about its emulators.

I had so much hope that the Database thing would get a big push to make it easier and complete (there are so much opportunities on that).

never mind. good job Jason and good luck.

1 hour ago, Wally said:

1 minute ago, Chris Kant said:

I am with your meaning. so I will no longer expect anything great enhancement from the Windows Version any longer. LB/BB is indeed great (Jason did a very good job) but now with the Android Fragmentation there will be a Hugh amount of new users who will flooding the board with questions about android and questions about its emulators.

I had so much hope that the Database thing would get a big push to make it easier and complete (there are so much opportunities on that).

never mind. good job Jason and good luck.

The sky is falling!

Y'all, how many times have people freaked out because they were convinced that the "golden age" of LaunchBox development was over? It happened when Music Box Alpha first came out, it happened when .Next was in development, and it happened several times before that for various unmerited reasons. Nothing changed for the worse on any of those occasions, despite various people's concerns. This time it will be no different. So you can "no longer expect any great enhancements" all you want; I guess you'll just continue to be pleasantly surprised.

I would appreciate it though if you guys would try not to spread unnecessary panic and fear, and try to be more positive instead.

• Like 10

at least you said that you will now focus the next month or so on the Android App instead of the windows app, so my assumption is that in that time there will be no real steps forward on any other thing. and the other thing is simple mathematic ;) will say, that one programmer cannot give three systems (LB/BB Windows, LB/BB Android / music box alpha) the same attention than on focusing on one product. fragmentation have some pros but also some cons. and we are not talking about the "golden age" we are now talking about slowering the speed. even the last "great" new features will not as good as the previous things. it is too complicated to configure it or some things are only possible in LB, even it is an BB feature or BB only features cannot configure in LB.

I would understand if instead of Android a Raspberry Pi version will come out, because than you can build a really out of the box and take some market shares from RetroPie at all. but android... naaaaa

I think for many reasons the whole Android version will do so well for various reasons more than one's own phone. Now LaunchBox can be on Tablets, Set Top Boxes, NVIDIA Shield, and other Android-based Consoles including the GPD XD series. My Wife @Haydee & I are excited for all this even though we all know it may take a while for it to even look about to the level of the PC version..yet we're staying tuned

Edited by RULLUR
  • Like 2

@Jason Carr will the LB Android version be synced with the Windows one, or after importing the data to it they will act separately?
I am thinking that it would be great to have LB Android on the go so we can update missing metadata/media/content, and then when loading up LB Windows, to have the option to sync them and get the updates done on Android.
Makes sense?