LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android 0.6 Beta Released!

Jason Carr

On 9/4/2019 at 8:10 AM, dunnster said:

Hi All

so been playing around however still same issues Galaxy S9 PLUS, If I install the games to the internal memory there is no issue and they show up, however if I install games to the SD card then they do not show, I have tried running the Launchbox programme and files from SD card still no joy.

So at present for me the only way to work is to have the programme and games installed on the internal memory (which is not what I want) anyone got any advice or update, appreciate still WIP , cheers all

Jason, thanks all going great now, top man and thanks for all the support

• Like 1

@Jason Carr Thanks for all the hard work on both sides of LB.  Might be a good idea to put on your first post the Android version that's currently published in the play store so those that don't update their Android LB app regularly would know what version is currently out there (might solve some issues).  Also, put the version updates in there too.

7 minutes ago, xman said:

@Jason Carr Thanks for all the hard work on both sides of LB.  Might be a good idea to put on your first post the Android version that's currently published in the play store so those that don't update their Android LB app regularly would know what version is currently out there (might solve some issues).  Also, put the version updates in there too.

Yeah, I can see that being helpful. I'll be putting the release notes in the app here at some point. As it stands, for the beta releases, I always have to limit the amount of busy-work I put in as it distracts from development.

• Thanks 1

I just submitted version 0.18 to the Play Store with the following:

• New boxes view overhaul with support for background fanart images
  • New launching view overhaul, also with support for background fanart images
  • Added Yaba Sanshiro and Yaba Sanshiro Pro emulators for Sega Saturn

In order to make the best use of the new background fanart images, you'll need to download the new beta 4 release of the desktop app, and re-export everything, as backgrounds were not included in the previous versions of the Android export process. I'm looking to put out the official releases early next week, so I'm hoping this beta will fare well. :)

Screenshot_20190905-134249.thumb.png.1abab914644f7eaa7b7c3f5f27a61caa.png

• Like 2
  • Game On 1

Also, FYI, I attempted to add support for Dolphin, but as far as my research could find, it looks like Dolphin is not currently working to launch directly into games. Either that, or I'm just missing the secret and I can't find it. If anyone is aware of another frontend for Android that is successfully launching Dolphin directly into games, please let me know.

16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Also, FYI, I attempted to add support for Dolphin, but as far as my research could find, it looks like Dolphin is not currently working to launch directly into games. Either that, or I'm just missing the secret and I can't find it. If anyone is aware of another frontend for Android that is successfully launching Dolphin directly into games, please let me know.

I use arc browser and dolphin (and dolphin mmj) work great. Games are directly launched. 

14 minutes ago, gaialily said:

I use arc browser and dolphin (and dolphin mmj) work great. Games are directly launched. 

Good to know, thanks. Unfortunately that doesn't help me to figure out what parameters are needed to launch Dolphin properly, but at least I know it's possible now. I've scoured the web but I haven't found any good details on how to launch Dolphin into a game, so if anyone has any good info on that, let me know. Otherwise, I'll experiment with it again here soon. I might have to dive into the Dolphin code to figure it out if nothing else pops up.

Hi @Jason

Is there any way you could add an option to hide the games/background images from the android system?

Im asking this because my gallery app is showing all the games images and is a mess.

There is a similar functionality on the Whatsapp app where you can choose to show or not the chat images in your gallery.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Good to know, thanks. Unfortunately that doesn't help me to figure out what parameters are needed to launch Dolphin properly, but at least I know it's possible now. I've scoured the web but I haven't found any good details on how to launch Dolphin into a game, so if anyone has any good info on that, let me know. Otherwise, I'll experiment with it again here soon. I might have to dive into the Dolphin code to figure it out if nothing else pops up.

Jason, does this help with the Dolphin issue? https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-commit-63c9831-broke-game-autostarting-on-android

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jeanfreitas said:

Hi @Jason

Is there any way you could add an option to hide the games/background images from the android system?

Im asking this because my gallery app is showing all the games images and is a mess.

There is a similar functionality on the Whatsapp app where you can choose to show or not the chat images in your gallery.

Thanks

Don't know if this still works, but you used to be able to create an empty file on Android called .nomedia in whatever directory do didn't want the Gallery app indexing. You could at least try this until Jason comes up with something.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

Wow, it's not 100% clear, but that definitely helps. I'll give it another shot here.

31 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

Don't know if this still works, but you used to be able to create an empty file on Android called .nomedia in whatever directory do didn't want the Gallery app indexing. You could at least try this until Jason comes up with something.

I thought I remembered something like that. If I recall correctly, that is the recommended solution, so I'll probably just add that automatically to the exports. Thanks @dragon57.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I just submitted version 0.18 to the Play Store with the following:

• New boxes view overhaul with support for background fanart images
  • New launching view overhaul, also with support for background fanart images
  • Added Yaba Sanshiro and Yaba Sanshiro Pro emulators for Sega Saturn

In order to make the best use of the new background fanart images, you'll need to download the new beta 4 release of the desktop app, and re-export everything, as backgrounds were not included in the previous versions of the Android export process. I'm looking to put out the official releases early next week, so I'm hoping this beta will fare well. :)

Screenshot_20190905-134249.thumb.png.1abab914644f7eaa7b7c3f5f27a61caa.png

@Jason Carr great work once again! Just wondering if we'll be able to use "default" images for the backgrounds (like the windows app) as it's nice to have one image per platform, for example a wallpaper of the Nintendo NES

Test Unit

Nexus 7 2013 - Android Pie 9.0 Pixel Experience Custom Rom
Android LB 0.18
USB-to-Go Xbox360 Controller (Roms display fine, loads fine, and plays fine with Xbox360 Controller)
Using LB 10beta4 (Images and Backgrounds)
Atari 2600, Atari 7800, NES, SNES, Genesis

Issue

After exiting any rom in any emulator (I set up right analog controller button as exit), the controller d-pad, left analog , A or B doesn't respond. I have to change my view from list to box or vice versa (using Y or touch screen) or exit emulator menu until controller responds.  Worked fine in Android LB 0.17.