LaunchBox Community Forums

Android Version cost for premium desktop version purchasers

rodww

Just wanted to place a comment in this forum regarding the new Android version.   While I do support the application and thank the developers for a fantastic front-end, I have reservations about having to pay again for the same application even though it's now on a different platform, which still requires a windows version anyway.   Just my 2 cents, but for those of us that have payed for the premium PC version of Launchbox/Bigbox (such as myself) should be able to use this version as well.

1 hour ago, Tommy.Toughnuts said:

I disagree entirely. It's also $5... Support your devs.

I also purchased a lifetime license and I couldn't click fast enough to pay $5 for the Android version.

I am pretty confident Jason is appreciative of things like this. We do not have a big dev team working on Launchbox. It really is just one great person putting his time and heart into something he loves and we get to benefit from that. $5 is truly a small price to pay to say Thanks. 

• Like 3

Everyone has their opinions and there are other options out there, once the android version is up to speed, i dont think any of them will compare with LB.  I have no problem paying the additional $5.  (I used my google rewards anyway)  I know the android version will be supported and constantly developed.  Yeah it sucks to have to pay again but how many times a month to we blow $5 on stuff, fast food, coffee, etc.  Jason did enable Google Home/family or whatever it is called.  So if you have multiple accounts or users in the house, you only need to purchase once.  I have an nvidia shield i have a family google account on, no need to buy the app twice.

• Like 1

Thank you guys.

@rodww As much as we all want everything to be free, that's not how businesses work. You're only the second complaint we've received about it not being free since we released the app, and the amount of purchases we have coming in confirm that people are happy to pay $5 for the app. We've never promised that a license on Windows would ever work on other platforms, and since Android requires separate code and completely separate work than the Windows version, it only makes sense for it to cost at least something. Per it requiring the Windows version, that's a moot point since it only requires the free version of the Windows app; it doesn't require another purchase.

• Like 1

I paided for the android version straight away. I have full version of LB on my pc and my arcade cab I've tried every front end paid a fee and for the development to go stagnant, jason is nuts taking on all these projects, nothing good is free in this world. I love his enthusiasm keep up the good work jason looking forward to the new features in android.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 12:59 PM, Tommy.Toughnuts said:

I disagree entirely. It's also $5... Support your devs.

I also purchased a lifetime license and I couldn't click fast enough to pay $5 for the Android version.

Same here. I would have happily paid 4x that amount. Android was sorely lacking in a decent emu frontend, and LB/BB is, by far, the best out there in my opinion. Seeing it ported to Android is something I have long wanted to see happen.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I kinda agree with the OP. While I'm happy to send $5 for android, i understand there is a lot of work that goes into it. While it is all good business, I understand. But will we have to pay again for each platform they put it on. Such as if a linux version gets made, would that need it's own premium license? I would gladly pay $50 again for it. Having Launchbox on linux would be the best christmas present ever. It however could start a slippery slope and that's all I'm afraid of.

13 minutes ago, slobama said:

But will we have to pay again for each platform they put it on

Likely, yes. Development time is not free. Development for a whole different platform is both time consuming and difficult to achieve. Its also only currently $5 on Android, so very reasonable considering the time put in.