LaunchBox Community Forums

10.11-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

29 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

In the import tool did anything appear in the "Folder" column? I would guess that the process was unable to locate the executable for that game. Could you confirm the following for me?

What is the name of a title having this issue (2-3 would be helpful if possible)?
Did the folder column have any information in it during import?
Are these games actually installed on your computer?
Does GOG Galaxy see these games as being installed on your computer?

I actually ran the GOG importer for the first time last night and i am seeing similar results, i have a game that says its not installed, there is no path in the edit screen, and there also wasnt a folder listed for it on import.

Shadow Warrior 2 edit screen.

724090344_Screenshot(388).thumb.png.93a0d6f6d789961588ce7ef58b88e6b0.pngAnd the same game in my "Installed" filter in GOG Galaxy 2.0.

304912052_Screenshot(389).thumb.png.fe2ba88e0354eb34a5202af53c56f009.pngAnd the location it is installed at.

image.thumb.png.7756afbdac090473eac59081adef8807.png

5 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

@neil9000 was the folder column blank on the import screen?

If yes, did you try the "Scan directory..." button to find it/tell it where the game was located?

Yeah it was blank for that game, i didnt tell it where the folder was. It was my first time using that importer so i just ran through it without customising anything. I wasnt sure if it was supposed to show there or not to be honest, so i just ran with it.

Yeah, currently if the tool didn't auto find the game the "Folder" column is blank and it sets a blank app path as shows the game as Not Installed. If it finds it that column will tell you where it found it.

Scan feature allows you to select a folder that all the games are installed in and the tool will manually look in that folder path for your GOG games (looks for the .info file GOG puts in the directory). Once the tool ran the folder column will update for all games found.

22 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Yeah, currently if the tool didn't auto find the game the "Folder" column is blank and it sets a blank app path as shows the game as Not Installed. If it finds it that column will tell you where it found it.

Scan feature allows you to select a folder that all the games are installed in and the tool will manually look in that folder path for your GOG games (looks for the .info file GOG puts in the directory). Once the tool ran the folder column will update for all games found.

Hmm OK, looking at what Launchbox says is installed vs what actually is, it seems the games on my D drive show as installed, but the games i have installed to my E drive dont show as installed. How are you determining what is installed or not, could it be a drive letter issue?

Installed state on import tool is initially found by looking at all applications that have an uninstaller registered to Windows and has the GOG metadata associated with it. If you install a game that doesn't do this, or simply move the install from one computer/location to another, it wouldn't currently detect it.

Where you able to scan the directory the games are in on the E drive, and did it successfully find them?

5 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Installed state on import tool is initially found by looking at all applications that have an uninstaller registered to Windows and has the GOG metadata associated with it. If you install a game that doesn't do this, or simply move the install from one computer/location to another, it wouldn't currently detect it.

Hmm, it is possible i moved the installs to a different drive at some point, but i'm not sure.

6 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Where you able to scan the directory the games are in on the E drive, and did it successfully find them?

Do i need to delete the platform first, or can i just run the importer again and do a scan?

The challenge with GOG is that the games sometimes do not register themselves as installed, due to the portable nature of GOG games. So in that case, we have no way of getting at that data, sans for scanning a directory of installed games to match up the paths. In most cases, if you install the games from GOG Galaxy, they should register and automatically show up as installed. But Galaxy also has a way to mass import GOG games, and you can just copy them from a previous Windows installation, and in that case they won't automatically show up as installed and you'll have to use the Scan Directory button.

What we're going to do though is modify the importer to allow you to update games that already exist by using that Scan Directory button.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The challenge with GOG is that the games sometimes do not register themselves as installed, due to the portable nature of GOG games. So in that case, we have no way of getting at that data, sans for scanning a directory of installed games to match up the paths. In most cases, if you install the games from GOG Galaxy, they should register and automatically show up as installed. But Galaxy also has a way to mass import GOG games, and you can just copy them from a previous Windows installation, and in that case they won't automatically show up as installed and you'll have to use the Scan Directory button.

What we're going to do though is modify the importer to allow you to update games that already exist by using that Scan Directory button.

Yeah that sounds like a good compromise. This was my first time using that importer so i wasnt exactly sure how it worked (was it like the steam one for example), so this all makes more sense to me now. I think of the handful of games i actually have installed, some were done via the install.exe, some from the GOG client, and others have been installed for a long time and have been cut/pasted to other drives over the years.

25 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah that sounds like a good compromise. This was my first time using that importer so i wasnt exactly sure how it worked (was it like the steam one for example), so this all makes more sense to me now. I think of the handful of games i actually have installed, some were done via the install.exe, some from the GOG client, and others have been installed for a long time and have been cut/pasted to other drives over the years.

Yeah, I ran into the same thing myself.

42 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The challenge with GOG is that the games sometimes do not register themselves as installed

This is also why i never use the "windows importer" same thing, so many games are not added to the start menu that its a bit pointless, i find keeping shortcuts in a folder and dragging and dropping that far more efficient there.

Its a lose lose thing i guess, dont have the option and people will ask for it, but then adding it is never gonna work 100%, tricky balance.

Beta 7 is out now with the following:

• Various GOG import fixes, mostly surrounding combining and matching games
  • Improved GOG import platform detection (MS-DOS vs. Windows)
  • Missing Play menu action in Big Box has been fixed

A whole lot of testing and tweaking has gone into this beta, so things should be much improved. In case we haven't made it clear, you can now use the Steam and GOG importers and they will combine your Steam and GOG games together into a single game with additional applications, assuming that the titles match up. We've also made sure that manually combining Steam and GOG games together works correctly as well. For those reasons, it might be a good idea to clear out and re-import your Steam and GOG games to make use of the improved features.

Any testing on all of this would be much appreciated, as we plan on putting out the official 10.11 release on Monday.

• Like 2

I'm having the same issue as someone else reported... Steam metadata doesn't get pulled at all. I imported my steam collection, and all games not present in the metadata.xml file (i.e.: all games without a LB Database ID) do not have any metadata (genres/notes/developer/etc).

@Pixel @Belmont

Could you two do me a favor?

Go to Tools > Options > Debugging and turn on Debug Logs. Then try to import a Steam game, uncheck the "Check local games database" (top box) and then run the import. Verify that you do or do not see Steam metadata (Publisher, Developer, Notes, Release Date, Genre). If you do not please close Launchbox then go to your \\Launchbox\Logs\ folder and send me (in private message preferably) the most recent log file in that directory.

Would also like if possible for you to try it with the "Check local games database" checked and also checked "Prioritize Steam metadata" and see what metadata you get and send the log file if you do not see the Steam information.

Beta 8 is out now to fix the metadata issue where the wrong metadata was being used in the additional apps when games were combined on imports.

Also, for those having issues with getting Steam metadata, we still have never been able to replicate that issue, but we'd like to know if you have the same problem with this beta. :)

• Like 1