LaunchBox Community Forums

12.10 Beta Testing

faeran

Hey everyone,

12.10 beta 1 is out now with the following changes:

• New Feature: A Related Games section will now appear within Game Details, where you can discover games that are recommended, similar, or possible ports of the game that you have selected. (Rated #3 on the last Community Poll) - Currently in LaunchBox. Big Box implementation will be available in a later beta.*
  • New Premium Feature: A Related Games options menu provides full control over the criteria that determines its game results
  • Improvement: The "Scanning for Metadata" step during imports and metadata and media updates should now be significantly faster
  • Fixed: On rare occasions, the Scrape As value would not save during an import, resulting in LaunchBox Database game mis-match
  • Fixed: In Big Box, the KnownPlatformorPlaylist binding could incorrectly use a playlist's rule value in unexpected comparison types (for theme devs)
  • Fixed: Configure will now use your Custom DOSBox Version EXE Path
  • Fixed: The prioritize dropdown menu in the Platform/Playlist Theme Video window will now works with videos from EmuMovies

*The Related Games feature will only be available in Default and Old Default until theme devs can incorporate it into their LaunchBox themes.

Some major changes have taken place to make this beta happen, so a good amount of testing is always welcome :)

Beta 2:

• New Feature - Related Games has been added to Big Box. It can be accessed via the Game Details menu
  • Fixed - The View Achievements pop-up within the Pause Screens was improperly displaying the tab item headers
  • Fixed - Opening the Edit Emulator window would clear settings for some emulators (introduced in 12.10 beta 1)

Beta 3:

• Fixed: Navigating with a controller in Big Box's Related Games pop-up.

Beta 4:

• New Feature: A new themes manager is now built into LaunchBox that will let you manage, download, and uninstall LaunchBox themes
  • Improvement: When changes are made inside of the Options menu that require a restart, LaunchBox will automatically relaunch itself.
  • Improvement: New bindings for theme developers that will display controller information in both LaunchBox and Big Box themes
  • Fixed: Rare cases in Big Box's Wall Views where navigation was working improperly
  • Fixed: The Play bindings in LaunchBox custom themes was shown as unavailable with games that use the built-in ScummVM implementation

For LaunchBox theme developers, you can upload your themes here: https://www.launchbox-app.com/themes

Just like for Big Box themes, there will be a higher threshold of entry into our LaunchBox Themes Manager. Please continue to use the forums to release your themes and get the bugs out. Then, when you are ready, upload your theme to the Themes Manager. At that point, we may provide some feedback for improvement.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, faeran said:

Fixed: The prioritize dropdown menu in the Platform/Playlist Theme Video window will now works with videos from EmuMovies

That window seems to be somewhat broken, it is slowly populating one platform at a time, like 1 platform appearing in the list like every ten seconds, and windows thinks LB is hanging.

7 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

That window seems to be somewhat broken, it is slowly populating one platform at a time, like 1 platform appearing in the list like every ten seconds, and windows thinks LB is hanging.

That may be EmuMovies being slow to respond. If you remove EmuMovies credentials does it still have that same problem?

16 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

That may be EmuMovies being slow to respond. If you remove EmuMovies credentials does it still have that same problem?

Yup, that was it. Without emumovie creds the window fully populates in about 2 seconds. With emumovies creds the same list took 3 minutes to populate.

1 minute ago, TheNewClassics said:

Huge thanks to the LB team for incorporating this feature. Quick question: would there be a possibility of an option for only displaying games that are in the user's collection?

Unsure what feature you're referring to. I would ASSUME you mean the new Related Games, and yes you can turn DB items off in options if you are a premium user

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, faeran said:

Hey everyone,

12.10 beta 1 is out now with the following changes:

• New Feature: A Related Games section will now appear within Game Details, where you can discover games that are recommended, similar, or possible ports of the game that you have selected. (Rated #3 on the last Community Poll) - Currently in LaunchBox. Big Box implementation will be available in a later beta.*
  • New Premium Feature: A Related Games options menu provides full control over the criteria that determines its game results

*The Related Games feature will only be available in Default and Old Default until theme devs can incorporate it into their LaunchBox themes.

@faeran Once again, great news and this is a very welcome addition to LaunchBox! Just wondering, will you make the code of this available (copy and paste) so that we can incorporate this feature into one of the LB themes? I'm asking because the one (theme) I've been using primarily for the past few years hasn't been updated by its author for quite a long time, and I've had to rely on these methods to get the latest LB features in there.

Update: Never mind. I figured it out :)

Edited by bundangdon

Really cool feature! Especially enjoying when I include just the games in my library.

I checked the achievements menu while playing a game and it still has formatting issues with the 2 sections. Either they don't exist or are doubled.  See images below:

12.10 Cheevos menu while playing a game launched from LaunchBox:

bigbox_cheevos_menu_12_10.thumb.jpg.3b6b9f7616c68137e0c97809277a8d4d.jpg

12.10 Cheevos menu while playing a game launched from BigBox:

bigbox_cheevos_menu_12_9.thumb.jpg.de7c90c489717dffd52eee6f0549cba0.jpg

Edited by SqHd

The related games option is looking good. A couple of questions:

• Is there a way to delete rows from the Related Games tables from the Options page?
  • I've found it takes 2-3 clicks for the drop down menu in each row to respond. It feels like successive clicks focus the table column, then the row, then the list box. Is there anything that can be done to reduce the clicking?

I'm trying to use the Related Games' Possible Ports list to display games from different regions in my local collection. I have a platform per console region (for example Sega Mega Drive (Japan) and Sega Genesis (USA)), each filled with region specific games. I've configured the Possible Ports options as below, with the check being a match on the LaunchBox Database ID, but it's not detecting anything (please ignore the duplicate rows, I don't know how to delete them).

image.thumb.png.73d0b683a502aab79e4beb222f8090c8.png

The test case has Sega Genesis (USA) with Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, and Sega Mega Drive (Japan) with Daimakaimura. Both games have the same database ID (#2592), but Possible Ports has no matches. I've closed and reopened the Game Details page to force it to refresh, but the list is always empty. Any suggestions?

image.thumb.png.06961b4fb5336fb8f9f58d8c85fbe1d1.png

image.thumb.png.643f2635b722f9f6ac9989e27a2edb66.png

Well i would guess in this case its the same game, just with a alternate name for a different region, so not a actual port exactly, as indicated by the database ID, not a different version of the game, but simply the same one with a different name, much like im guessing Starfox and Starwing, or Starfox 64 and Lylat wars, different regions and different names, but exactly the same games.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Well i would guess in this case its the same game, just with a alternate name for a different region, so not a actual port exactly, as indicated by the database ID, not a different version of the game, but simply the same one with a different name, much like im guessing Starfox and Starwing, or Starfox 64 and Lylat wars, different regions and different names, but exactly the same games.

Yeah, I did a bit more testing and it appears the Related Games results won't return any game with the same database ID, regardless of the search criteria used (such as platform not equal or region not equal). Which is understandable, as the related games lists probably shouldn't show the game itself.

I wonder if it could it be tweaked so if the game is being compared against local games, then the game's GUID is used to exclude itself from the result list, rather than the database ID? The database ID would obviously still be used to match against the database. Or perhaps an option to allow duplicate database IDs in the search results.

11 hours ago, bundangdon said:

@faeran Once again, great news and this is a very welcome addition to LaunchBox! Just wondering, will you make the code of this available (copy and paste) so that we can incorporate this feature into one of the LB themes? I'm asking because the one (theme) I've been using primarily for the past few years hasn't been updated by its author for quite a long time, and I've had to rely on these methods to get the latest LB features in there.

Update: Never mind. I figured it out :)

Glad you figured it out. For LaunchBox themes, the code will always be available in the Default theme.