LaunchBox Community Forums

12.15 Beta Thread

faeran

Hello, how are you, good day, I wanted to report that in versions 12.14 and this new 12.15 I have the same problem as skizzosjt with the videos of the platforms.
I cannot always recreate it but the constants are for me this only impacts platform videos and it only happens if I boot into a game and then back out to the platform view after exiting the game. What I see is a black screen instead of the video and no audio either.
If I select another platform the video plays as normal and I can switch back to the one that was a black screen and it will also play OK at this point. Thanks for everything

57 minutes ago, atbc said:

Hello, how are you, good day, I wanted to report that in versions 12.14 and this new 12.15 I have the same problem as skizzosjt with the videos of the platforms.
I cannot always recreate it but the constants are for me this only impacts platform videos and it only happens if I boot into a game and then back out to the platform view after exiting the game. What I see is a black screen instead of the video and no audio either.
If I select another platform the video plays as normal and I can switch back to the one that was a black screen and it will also play OK at this point. Thanks for everything

22 hours ago, skizzosjt said:

great, I'm in the clear! 👍

I think the platform videos not playing problem is solved for me now too on the beta.

Sorry false alarm. I still have this problem. I cannot always recreate it but the constants are for me this only impacts platform videos and it only happens if I boot into a game and then back out to the platform view after exiting the game. What I see is a black screen instead of the video and no audio either. If I select another platform the video plays as normal and I can switch back to the one that was a black screen and it will also play OK at this point.

image.thumb.png.439e84472506e4464ba0b5fb8c78e08d.png

Can you guys tell us which theme, or theme variation you are using, and whether you are coming from the Game Details page, or do you bypass that?

24 minutes ago, faeran said:

Can you guys tell us which theme, or theme variation you are using, and whether you are coming from the Game Details page, or do you bypass that?

Hi faeran, sure thing. I am using Colorful 4K with the matched 4K videos. The game details page is used on my setup. I would be exiting out of the game into that game's Game Detail page, then backing out to the Platform View page

This really is pretty darn random for me, no consistency with being able to recreate it. I want to say it started in either 12.13 or definitely by 12.14. At first I thought it happened every time I booted into a game, but now I notice that does not guarantee it will occur. It doesn't seem to always happen if I boot into a game and then exit out right away and back out to the platform view. There is somewhat of a noticeable pattern where if I am playing a game for a little bit, say 30mins, that is when it is more likely to occur. That's why I thought it was fixed, I was booting into a bunch of games and exiting out soon as you get to the title screen and backing out to the platform view and no problem! So it tends to be I have to actually play the game for some sort of time to see this issue. But again, it doesn't always happen, for example I played two games last night, one on N64 for about 30mins and when I backed out the video worked fine. I then played an Arcade game for about 30mins and that is where I took the pic of the problem I put in my last post.

I know intermittent issues are hard to nail down, so hopefully it gives you all some clues on where to look for the culprit!

Hi Faeran, I'm using the Unified Refried theme, and I don't use game details. The problem appears when I navigate through the platforms and when I return to the main wheel, the video of the platform does not play. In version 12.13 I don't remember what happened to me but it does happen in versions 12.14 and 12.15.
I leave a test video to see if it is useful. Thanks.

28 minutes ago, Sath said:

Hi, just installed 12.15 and i don't get any platform details. There is an option to check to activate it?

image.thumb.jpeg.f226fb15e070d30a25a64e3c3c572a17.jpeg

Did you download the updated version of that theme? Custom themes need to be updated by the theme developer to include the new platform details view. Looks like your using Default Plus. Faeren did update that theme to support the new view. 

1 hour ago, Sath said:

sry for noobish question. fixed.

p.s. it would be nice receive a popup if the current theme have a update available. Improvement for 12.16? :)

You can submit a feature request using the option located at the top of the forum under "Help & Support".

FYI...In LB you are able to currently see if a theme has an update by going to >Tools >Manage LB Themes. Next to the theme name will be a download icon letting you know it has update. A pop-up would be nice though.

4 hours ago, Retro808 said:

FYI...In LB you are able to currently see if a theme has an update by going to >Tools >Manage LB Themes. Next to the theme name will be a download icon letting you know it has update. A pop-up would be nice though.

yeah i see, but isn't efficient as a popup. with a popup, like for LB updates, i haven't post here my doubts about platform details. i'll submit the request in the proper forum section. bye 

On 9/29/2022 at 1:34 AM, faeran said:

I also experience the same issue with Pulse by @Juketsu

I can recreate consistently by selecting a platform and exiting back out (no need to go to Game Details).

No platform video unless I refresh by cycling through other platforms.

Edited by Thornback

Hi @faeran, thanks to @Thornback's and others similar comments I tried to recreate the problem in the scenarios they described and I was able to. I do not have to actually launch a game to have the video end up as a black screen. I can recreate it every time now by selecting a platform or even going the other way into the options menu at a very specific time frame Eventually I realized the specific time frame is the actual transition time changing from one video to the next. Basically if I time my button press to be during the actual transition period (ie. as the video does a rotation transition effect) it creates the problem. If I click before, or after the transition effect occurs, the problem doesn't happen.

Adding I tried this on multiple themes, not that it wasn't already obvious it wasn't theme specific, but I got it do this on Colorful 4k, Retro Console, Retrotastic, RetroFresh, CoverBox. Not view specific either, platform wheel 1 and and text list with details, that's all I tried but could do it on both of them

Edited by skizzosjt

I have looked into the reported issue with Details not showing correctly when coming back to platform view and found the cause. When pressing select while the details transition is still playing it would leave the platform in a bad state when returning to it leaving some elements unloaded. I have a correction in place and will be in the next release. Thanks all for the reports and extra information.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Drybonz said:

I had an error today while trying to remove an image that it was open and could not be deleted.  I haven't run into this problem in the past that I can remember.  I think this beta cycle is over, but thought I would mention it anyway.

Which theme do you use?

@y2guru @faeran or anyone else that may know

UPDATE:
I want to add that it has something to do with the transitions in BB. After disabling them ALL, it no longer goes to a black screen.

I seem to remember seeing something about similar issues some time back but I am having issues with BB going to a black screen after scrolling though BB after a few minutes. It's random, happens sometimes in platform view, sometime in a game view or even setting view? Once it happens, that view stays black until exit and restart of BB.

I'm trying to make a video of a CTC theme update using OBS. But it happens without OBS running as well.

Anyone know anything about this? I have the same issue with 12.4 but seems to go away with 12.3 (but since the theme was created in CTC, some features aren't working).

Here is a sample video, when I try to enter the platform, I get black screen, when I press enter, it works as expected, when I go back, it goes back to black screen. In this example, when I go back again, to settings, it is also black screen.

I un-plugged all additional monitors to eliminate that as well. Also tried both VLC and WMP in BB

It is also happening with BB default theme. See 2nd log file

Any ideas anyone? 

Debug 2022-10-06 08-11-13 AM.log

Debug 2022-10-06 08-45-41 AM.log

Edited by The Papaw
Added Updated info