LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox 13.16 - Beta Thread

faeran

31 minutes ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

However, from my knowledge,...Sega Triforce can only be run in one of the older builds of dolphin from the list of versions in the link above.

So either I have to get used to getting two notification popups each time I open the manage emulators screen OR the dolphin plugin or other code needs to take into account that Sega Triforce can only be run in those older versions of dolphin.

Floating around out there somewhere is a modified version of the Dolphin Triforce branch 5.0-18171.  It will alleviate this issue as it uses the newer --version parameter to check its versioning.  

image.thumb.png.15b18ed81c47864f0c27542879d8906f.png

Granted, it doesn't fix the plugin. But until then, it does 'fix' the issue from the end-user's standpoint. (Just need to ignore the 'update cloud'.)

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2024 at 3:56 PM, faeran said:

Thanks for the report, we'll look into this.

This is most likely specific to your data files. It's possible one of your platform's game folders is pointing to a location that no longer exists.

If you go to Tools > Manage > Plugins, what Dolphin plugin version are you on? If there are any updates, definitely download them.

Nothing was changed with game folders....

Went back to 13.15 and importing (both, per drag and drop and via scan) works as usual...

Hi everyone, I haven’t updated to version 13.16 beta yet, but I did upgrade from 13.14 to 13.15, and I don’t see any difference regarding ScummVM. It’s still located in the ThirdParty\ScummVM folder, and there’s no option to update it through a plugin. I had to manually overwrite the previous version to update it. Additionally, I can’t find it in the Emulators section. I was under the impression that the new version would automatically adapt the structure to the new organization. What steps should we, as users, follow to update correctly?

Thanks in advance for your help!

11 hours ago, Sbaby said:

Hi everyone, I haven’t updated to version 13.16 beta yet, but I did upgrade from 13.14 to 13.15, and I don’t see any difference regarding ScummVM. It’s still located in the ThirdParty\ScummVM folder, and there’s no option to update it through a plugin. I had to manually overwrite the previous version to update it. Additionally, I can’t find it in the Emulators section. I was under the impression that the new version would automatically adapt the structure to the new organization. What steps should we, as users, follow to update correctly?

Thanks in advance for your help!

There are three ways to update or install it.

From the 'edit emulator' option
scumm.thumb.PNG.080190fd29b91c694c019f9a01b673b6.PNG

From the 'add emulator' option

Scummdownload.thumb.PNG.2a409305f3cf6336ceddfa825dd07f0e.PNG

From the import Roms option

Scumminstall.thumb.PNG.c37f125c7a3eec4c56fca646dafbd6e8.PNG

2 hours ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

There are three ways to update or install it.

From the 'edit emulator' option
scumm.thumb.PNG.080190fd29b91c694c019f9a01b673b6.PNG

From the 'add emulator' option

Scummdownload.thumb.PNG.2a409305f3cf6336ceddfa825dd07f0e.PNG

From the import Roms option

Scumminstall.thumb.PNG.c37f125c7a3eec4c56fca646dafbd6e8.PNG

I'm not that noob LOL 😁

sorry to say this, but this seems obvious to me, but I don't want to install it from scratch, it is already fully functional with the internal scummvm, why should I uninstall all the games and reinstall them ? I was expecting an update of ScummVm , this is not ! is another way . I can't find any SCUMMVM emulator within the edit emulators, I was expecting it to be taken out of the internal section and put there without the user having to worry about redoing all the games, instead I updated the frontend but everything is exactly the same as before. You're basically telling me that everything has to be redone by the user who will end up with two SCUMMVMs, one internal and one exactly like the other emulators, which doesn't sound like anything new to me. It could have been done even before

If the novelty is the ability to update scummvm automatically via plugin then you should make sure that the internal one also has this function . At the moment it does not have it ! If you plan to remove it definitively it would be useful to know so I organize otherwise I keep it like this

look at the bottom left

image.thumb.png.45b4a4b18d31e2cbf4f9a4c3b58ea9ad.png

image.thumb.png.29287609b9fa3a359f6af321f7edca68.png

Edited by Sbaby

16 minutes ago, Sbaby said:

I don't want to install it from scratch

You might try Tools < Options < Manage < Emulators - Add.  Select ScummVM from the dropdown.  Let it 'auto-fill'.  Then next to the Application Path click Browse and point it to your already installed copy .exe file. Click OK to save.  Then Edit it.

image.thumb.png.da369550f297f915724b4c65fb20bac0.png

52 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

You might try Tools < Options < Manage < Emulators - Add.  Select ScummVM from the dropdown.  Let it 'auto-fill'.  Then next to the Application Path click Browse and point it to your already installed copy .exe file. Click OK to save.  Then Edit it.

immagine.pollice.png.da369550f297f915724b4c65fb20bac0.png

I followed your instructions, but unfortunately, the new emulator doesn't detect the game executable, whereas the internal emulator worked simply by using the game folder without needing the executable. For those using the internal emulator, switching to the new method requires significant effort, as you need to manually find and configure the correct executable for each game.

thanks anyway for the support, I was expecting a more user friendly update, but patience ! When support for the internal version is removed, I will adapt and do the work 🙂

Edited by Sbaby

On 8/25/2024 at 9:07 AM, Sbaby said:

I followed your instructions, but unfortunately, the new emulator doesn't detect the game executable, whereas the internal emulator worked simply by using the game folder without needing the executable. For those using the internal emulator, switching to the new method requires significant effort, as you need to manually find and configure the correct executable for each game.

thanks anyway for the support, I was expecting a more user friendly update, but patience ! When support for the internal version is removed, I will adapt and do the work 🙂

You have to have all of the following conditions for SCUMMVM to import under new process:

1) Emulator set with the default command lines auto populated (particularly with the -p -autodetect command):

Screenshot2024-08-27095155.thumb.png.62677166b3b9c3595014722208d2ae9c.png

Auto Imports Turned On: New way will not work if not.

Screenshot2024-08-27095259.thumb.png.7b31de715a98ae44b4b986eaf172f81b.png

ScummVM platform points to where you have your folders and EXE files exists for ScummVM files at root level.

Screenshot2024-08-27095354.thumb.png.f4203e1ebb3bcb4a9f5f6f5e585ac46d.png

Screenshot2024-08-27095655.thumb.png.c2d11091953b0a8c9fb14d035d9a6ad7.png

When it is finished auto importing it will only point to folder and not a EXE but will work as the "-p -autodetect" flag tells it to open up the first executable in the path.

Screenshot2024-08-27095109.thumb.png.2e71453630141bfc1bf9e6bc96eebfbb.png

I never used the "original" way of LB and ScummVM so make a backup of your XML files before you start autoimport, just in case!  I did have to do some cleanup on mine but mostly it worked.  

Caveats: this method is problematic and it is an issue in how ScummVM implemented the new command -p with -autodetect vs something unique to LB (if do via command line outside LB has same issues).  There also isn't a lot of documentation other than the command itself at ScummVM site.  If launch a game in this fashion any general items in the scummvm.ini will be used.  However, it will not pickup any any customization in your ScummVM.ini for a specific game.  It is a function of LB calling the game not by game ID but by the method of "find first EXE in path then run it".  Thus for example I had shaders turned off on a few specific games but as doesn't look to game settings won't pick that up.  You could go to the bother of setting up multiple scummvm.ini files but seems kludgy to me.  Game saves also seem to have some issues but didn't test substantially as went back to my initial method (pointer game IDs).

Edited by sundogak
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, sundogak said:

When it is finished auto importing it will only point to folder and not a EXE but will work as the "-p -autodetect" flag tells it to open up the first executable in the path.

Thank you very much for the clarification regarding the folders 👍

Beta 3 is out with the following:

• New Feature: Added option to prevent emulator update checks by right-clicking and selecting "Don't check for updates" while in the Manage Emulator window
  • Improvement: Translations have been updated
  • Fixed: LaunchBox now correctly handles clicking on the LaunchBox or Big Box exe files while its minimized to the system tray (introduced in beta 1)
  • Fixed: A crash related to using the new game save quick filters (introduced in beta 2)
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, faeran said:

New Feature: Added option to prevent emulator update checks by right-clicking and selecting "Don't check for updates" while in the Manage Emulator window

Love it!  Was automatically locked on fresh startup. 

image.thumb.png.4425d0e820febdea8707f81ff846b8ac.png

vs. (via right-click option)

image.thumb.png.7b529cb862ec69df1743bab76ca1bd40.png

• Game On 2

i have one more question to the savegame management. how does it work? i made a custom config with save folders per system and in it per core.

f. e. RAfolder/saves/Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Snes9x/savefiles

Do i need to revert to standard save path or does it work with my config?

Edited by Isoku

12 hours ago, Isoku said:

i have one more question to the savegame management. how does it work? i made a custom config with save folders per system and in it per core.

f. e. RAfolder/saves/Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Snes9x/savefiles

Do i need to revert to standard save path or does it work with my config?

Nope, no need to change your save structure. This is exactly how I have mine setup and it recognises saves no problem.

The only thing to be aware of is that the LaunchBox `Saves` folder, which stores the Save Backups, doesn't include a core directory. But this shouldn't be an issue anyways since when you backup / restore saves via the new UI, it moves everything into the right place. It's more just something in case you're wondering why it doesn't exactly mirror your RetroArch save directory. 

Hope that helps clarify. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sbaby said:

Hi, I installed this beta, in the menu I applied the badge display for saves, it works however the badge symbol only appears if I click on the game cover, is this normal?

It is if the save was created after you loaded LB. We do a scan on startup, and then scan again every time the game is selected.

7 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

It is if the save was created after you loaded LB. We do a scan on startup, and then scan again every time the game is selected.

I didn't make new saves after Launchbox started, the scan at startup doesn't work

it's like there are no launchbox saves, but I have thousands of them, to view the badges I have to click on them one by one 

Edited by Sbaby

Beta 4 is out with the following fixes:

• Fixed: LaunchBox now handles Amazon Storefront scans without encountering unexpected termination
  • Fixed: Keyboard shortcuts now function within the Audit window, providing easy access to context menu options

Optimistically, we are hoping for the official release to come out next week. Thanks all.

• Like 5

Getting a crash after just leaving LB for a while.

UCEERR_RENDERTHREADFAILURE (0x88980406)

App: LaunchBox
Version: 13.16-beta-4
Theme: Big Details
Type: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
Site: Void CompleteRender()
Source: PresentationCore

at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.CompleteRender()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.OnResize()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

10:49:29 Exception