LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Hi all, a new beta is out, which should hopefully be the final beta before the official release tomorrow morning. I managed to fix forcing the MAME data for non-MAME platforms. Ultimately the issue was that we were always restricting the imported games to games that were playable in MAME, so if you imported Sega Model 2, for example, very few of the games would work in MAME so they weren't imported. Here are some related things to keep in mind: - If you're forcing MAME metadata for a non-MAME platform on import, be sure the option to "skip games unplayable in MAME" is unchecked, for obvious reasons - The new "Scrape As" feature has nothing to do with MAME imports. The way the MAME import process works is that it checks for "MAME" as the emulator; it doesn't care what the name of the platform is. The force MAME check box is how you override this, of course. "Scrape As" only applies when downloading metadata and images from the LaunchBox Games Database and/or EmuMovies. Thanks all, holler if you find something glaring before the release tomorrow. :)

Jason Carr said - The new "Scrape As" feature has nothing to do with MAME imports. The way the MAME import process works is that it checks for "MAME" as the emulator; it doesn't care what the name of the platform is. The force MAME check box is how you override this, of course. "Scrape As" only applies when downloading metadata and images from the LaunchBox Games Database and/or EmuMovies.
Rocketlauncher is the "emulator" for my arcade games. With the new beta nothing has changed for me... I still get no results for downloading images from the database. I don't see the "force MAME" option you mentioned anywhere in the dialog for downloading images. Am I missing something?

bundangdon said With the latest beta, the 'coverflow' view is much better now, being smoother with even the 3d boxes looking more accurate than before Laugh However, I've noticed one small but very obvious problem. In 'coverflow' view, when you select and play a game, and then return to the games menu, it always brings you back to the beginning of the list. However, it doesn't do this with the other selectable views, which bring you back to the original game which was selected. (not the beginning of the list) I wasn't sure if this was ever mentioned or noticed before, but when you have a very large collection of games, it can be rather annoying to have to start from the beginning of the list again when you return to the games menu.
That's true !!! Thank you !

Jason Carr said Hi @Drybonz, the new Scrape As feature is available under Tools > Manage Platforms. That's where you set the Scrape As value in order to download media.
Ok... I found the option and it is working. Thanks for fixing that. I appreciate it.

It would also be good if LB recognized the art based on it's rom name, since that is the way most stuff is named in the MAME world. If I drop in a set of art files named after the rom file name (as most are) it isn't recognized.

SentaiBrad said You might also need to refresh your cache if you supplied the media too.
Brad, you were absolutely right... when the images weren't showing up I jumped the gun and thought it was related to the other problem. My apologies and thanks for the help.