LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Mine is off of a standard hard disk drive. I have an SSD in my system for Windows but LaunchBox and all the images and games are on the hard disk drive. I suspect that it is because of the size of your collection. I'll do some testing to see if there's anything I can do speed it up. If you can try testing with a smaller collection to see if it's quicker, that might be helpful.

@Jason why not leave the animations on for scrolling through platforms in BigBox and just do a setting for turning on or off the animations in scrolling through the games, that way people who are having major lag problems can turn it off and people who want to keep the animations on can. Personally i like the animations. My images is 3.46gb and while there is some lag i find it acceptable.

The animations are cool, but there's a little stuttering... and the fade seems to be giving me headache... ah-hah.... maybe toggles?... Edit: Just editing to add that I am epileptic and that may be why the fades are causing headaches for me. I won't lie though, the animations and fades really make the Big Box package feel like a more immersive thing I just... Don't know... Full on-or-off toggles are probably good, but maybe you could somehow add a slider for the fade so users can adjust at what rate it actually does fade? Re-Edit: Definitely an epilepsy thing.

@Jason dont know if this will help but the platforms that there are lag in transitions showing single image sometimes instead of animation are Atari 5200, Nintendo 64, Sega 32x, Super Nintendo Entertainment System and TurboGrafx the transitions through games seem fine very minor lag in the other 34 platforms. Used your zip from earlier post for BigBox, which sorted out same type lag in other platforms also have BigBox added to application settings in graphics card.

I have slight lag on my main LaunchBox computer i7 4770, EVE GeForce 750 TI running Windows 10 but not that bad. I haven't tested on my kitchen (i5 3330 integrated graphics) or my living room (Pentium G360 integrated graphics) PC's yet I've been busy playing Shining Force like a fiend! The transitions do look really nice though.

Okay guys, new beta is out. There are now options to change, and disable, all transitions: General: Screen Transition Game Images: Background Transition, Main Image Transition, Image/Video Transition Platform Images: Background Transition, Image Transition Fixed a few bugs as well. Note that of course Big Box in this beta runs off of .NET 4.5.1. I'm curious to know whether anybody needs/needed to install it, or if everyone already had it installed.

Tested the new beta, I configured the screen animations as random and I love it. I already had installed NET 4.5.1 I am pretty sure it was installed with a Steam game some time ago. In my case, the image animations stutters only at the beginning, but after a few navigation it becomes stable.

@Jason Love the new beta and the screen animations have set to random too. Have Net Framework 4.5.2 installed since it came out yonks ago always keep it up to date as well a the C++ Redistributable's both x64 and x86 from 2008 onwards. However the lag was still visible in the same platforms i mentioned in an earlier post. So i went into my fanart folder in those platforms and converted all the Fanart to the same sizes using the batch convert in Irfanview (took about 5 minutes per platform) as all my boxart are the same size, this has improved the animation transitions a hell of a lot lag now almost gone in those platforms. Think having all different size images in Fanart was causing most of the Lag.

Maddoc1007 said @Jason Love the new beta and the screen animations have set to random too. Have Net Framework 4.5.2 installed since it came out yonks ago always keep it up to date as well a the C++ Redistributable's both x64 and x86 from 2008 onwards. However the lag was still visible in the same platforms i mentioned in an earlier post. So i went into my fanart folder in those platforms and converted all the Fanart to the same sizes using the batch convert in Irfanview (took about 5 minutes per platform) as all my boxart are the same size, this has improved the animation transitions a hell of a lot lag now almost gone in those platforms. Think having all different size images in Fanart was causing most of the Lag.
This is interesting to know, If this worked for you I will sure give it a try, thanks for sharing. Just as a little warning, I read that updating to Net Framework 4.6 is not a good idea, I don't really understand the details but it seems there are problems with it. You can read about it here http://nickcraver.com/blog/2015/07/27/why-you-should-wait-on-dotnet-46/ https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/3err5p/why_you_should_wait_on_upgrading_to_net_46/ I hope someone find this info helpful and they are warning developers about it @Jason Carr Why is Jason's last name repeating many times? haha

Hi Jason. Love the new transition options. All are working seamlessly for me, with the exception of the Explosion effect which jerks and stutters a bit, but I won't be using that one anyway. I'm still experimenting with these to get a setup that I will keep. Plain spoilt for choice! A small bug. While all changes to the transitions take effect immediately, the option to change the BigBox background fade percentage does not. It seems that you need to exit BigBox (either fully or to LaunchBox native) and then reopen BigBox fot this effect to take place. This is not a big issue, as you'll probably only need to set this once.

Ah, thanks guys. Martin, the fanart image size thing is really good to know. I suppose it makes sense that resizing the images might take a bit of time. I suppose LaunchBox could resize the images in a cache automatically, but that'd certainly take up a lot of hard drive space, and it'd take even longer on initial load. Hadn't heard about .NET 4.6, but good to know. That probably coincides with the Windows 10 release that we'll see in 2 days (actually I already have the RTM running on my laptop, hehe). @scree, good to know. That one should be an easy fix.

Also, I did some studying up on WPF animation performance, and I'm going to put some time in to see if there's anything I can do to optimize it. There's a big long whitepaper on it all, so it's complicated stuff. We'll see what I can squeeze out of it.

I want to move to 10, but I don't want to use the insider build... though that will be updated along with the consumer build. But I also don't want to download 10 like I did 8. Though it looks like the means of sidestepping the genuine check is still exactly the same. I don't have the $100ish nor a legit copy of 7 or 8 to get a free key out of... if they even give out the keys.

From@Jason Martin, the fanart image size thing is really good to know. I suppose it makes sense that resizing the images might take a bit of time. I suppose LaunchBox could resize the images in a cache automatically, but that'd certainly take up a lot of hard drive space, and it'd take even longer on initial load. @Jason Its easy for people to do themselves. IrfanView is a free program you can download. install it. Open up IrfanView, Click on File, then click on Batch Conversion. Pick your output format either jpg or png, then click on advanced tab and set new size to what ever you want an click on ok. resize.jpg On the right hand side top use the up arrow till you get to desktop and pick Libraries, then documents, then LaunchBox and then images folder. Libaries.jpg Pick the Platform go into Fanart folder etc, and then click add all. Add-All.jpg On the left hand side set a directory for output files. In my case i used a folder on Desktop and called it Cover. Then click on Start Batch. It is very fast at converting and will take less than a minute for over 200 images. when finished close down IrfanView. Cut all the converted images from the Folder Cover and paste them into the folder in Launchbox Images you had selected to convert and paste them into that folder, they will overwrite the files in there with the same names as the files they are overwriting. do this for each platform, you will do 40 platforms + in less than an hour.

Thanks Martin. I just put out a new beta; I focused heavily on improving the performance. I'm very interested to hear if anyone notices any performance differences. It ran perfectly for me before, so I can't tell any differences, of course. That said, I am a tad bit worried that some crashes might show up because of some of the more aggressive performance optimizations. So it will certainly need a good beating.

@Jason installed new beta went through BigBox animations working better no performance hit slight improvement in platforms that had reamaining lag almost totally lag free now schrolled through the games fast no crashes no problems going in and out of the different platforms or scolling through the games BigBox certainly living up to its name its BIG.