LaunchBox Community Forums

Moderator Guidelines and Contributor Rules

Jason Carr

1 hour ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I hope they are as I really would help out to do the graphical censorship work and I work really fast as well :)

I know I have some of them in my local collection, happy to send them to you if we get a green light from Jason about self-censoring. Please ask him and I'll get back to you.

Please keep in mind that the answer might be negative, as you know there are many issues with censoring. For example, where do we cross the line? Do we just hide the naughtiest bits or what happens in cases like:

- no sexual implication, but has mild nudity
- nudity is a way of humour
- back cover with raping, tentacles all over the place etc. (I guess you'd need to fill that cool looking red star 99% of that imagery)
- sexual intercourse
- artistic nudity

Who makes the call? And how would we know which countries (especially the US) requires what kind of censorship. I certainly don't know.

To be honest I really hate censorship especially in the way that it can make a situation much worse than what it would be uncensored, like cursing on (US?) TV and replacing it with a beeps etc., I'm happy we don't have that problem in my country. I think censorship provokes and takes much more attention when it shouldn't need to and can even make your imagination think of the worst alternative for the "BEEP". I say Frak it (They chose a cool alternative in Battlestar Galactica :D)

But enough from me about this topic ?. I'm going back to actually submit more games that are missing from the database..

EDIT: Just remembered that Jason actually replied earlier to me that, as I thought, self-censoring wouldn't work. But let's wait and see if there's anything else/new that needs clarification or could be allowed (I doubt it though).

Edited by kurzih
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

@Jason Carr please let us know how we go on from here with a clear definition of nudity and what to do with it.

The man was pretty strait forward with you all. There are not only moral implications, but legal ones that we as a company can't really afford to take. If you have to ask it is probably just better to not submit at all. If you see something questionable, mark it for deletion.

I would suggest removing (or not submitting) any images with the following:
Exposed breast, genitalia, or buttocks
Any image with characters in sexual positions (including oral)
Any image where a character is being sexually stimulated
Any image that strongly suggests any of the above

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @C-Beats I went back into this topic to find what you where referring to, I understand now. I'll copy Jason's post again here so other people can see it to.

Per adult only games, to be honest I'd rather them not even be in the database at all. I know not everyone agrees with this, however, and it is an open database, so I'm sure there's quite a few in there. We do have a very strict no-nudity policy for the media, however, primarily to protect kids and keep us out of hot water because we have no age checks on the games database website. Please keep that in mind and never upload any images with nudity to the site. If a box has nudity on it, the box image cannot be uploaded to the LBGDB at all, period. Otherwise we risk legal consequences and getting the site shut down, but really it just comes down to protecting kids, my own kids included. I could really use the community's help to mark any images with nudity in them for deletion.

Yes, unfortunately we cannot accept censored images. It makes zero difference whether a nipple is replaced with a little tiny star or not lol. This is ultimately for the longevity of the site, so we don't get shut down, and for the protection of children. LaunchBox is based in the US, and so we have to follow US laws.

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

1 minute ago, rexryan said:

Quote me the Us law on Video game images..There is none as far as any game created,  That's the reason the US created the  ESRB. As long a rating is associated not alot can be done..So if you choose that it's a company decision not a legal one..Say it..

The law has nothing to do with video games. It has to do with nudity/obscenity.

https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/citizens-guide-us-federal-law-obscenity

I recognize that it can be interpreted in a billion different ways, but I have no interest in putting us in any risk at all. It's a video games site, so naturally that appeals to kids. I'm not interested in arguing this any further.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

The law has nothing to do with video games. It has to do with nudity/obscenity.

https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/citizens-guide-us-federal-law-obscenity

I recognize that it can be interpreted in a billion different ways, but I have no interest in putting us in any risk at all. It's a video games site, so naturally that appeals to kids. I'm not interested in arguing this any further.

That reference blows me away..That has nothing to do with any site but has to with all US citizens to follow.  So no Japanese game art?  It's your site, but that link has absolutely nothing to do with what we are discussing..Will you next be limiting stuff due to your local state or city codes?

Just now, rexryan said:

That reference blows me away..That has nothing to do with any site but has to with all US citizens to follow.  So no Japanese game art?  It's your site, but that link has absolutely nothing to do with what we are discussing..Will you next be limiting stuff due to your local state or city codes?

Are you kidding? You're interested in putting us at legal risk just because you're not in the US? I already stated I wasn't interested in arguing this. Drop it or we'll just straight up ban. I got better things to do, like develop features and help people who need support.

2 minutes ago, rexryan said:

I live in the US and study law..Banning on just mere discussion seems extreme, but I do know the law on this one..

Banned for a day. Anyone studying law knows the risks of skirting around laws, and the last thing I want to do is hire a lawyer (maybe that's his motivation? idk). I'm not a lawyer. But I don't care either way.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Banned for a day. Anyone studying law knows the risks of skirting around laws, and the last thing I want to do is hire a lawyer (maybe that's his motivation? idk). I'm not a lawyer. But I don't care either way.

And anyone studying law should know that laws, like contracts, are written in language to allow interpretation of what is written. I do not blame you for just outright avoiding any risks.

• Like 2

Please go to page 1 to (re-)read the rules, especially rule 6 posted in 2016.

As I said before, database moderators go about changing/fixing correct title names, wikipedia links, region tags, image types, overviews etc. But somehow it feels that rule 6 doesn't apply to everyone? I may personally dislike this rule too, but I do care about Launchbox and have big respect to the people behind it - it's rare for developers to be this active with its users and discussing in an online forum and respond this fast. Let's leave them to do what they do best and the rest of us stick to the rules, OK?

I have one FINAL point to make:

Launchbox is highly customizable: you can have what ever you want in your own local collection. You can have platforms that do not even exist on the Launchbox Database (maybe we could get more of those instead of arguing this matter).
Here's below a few examples of what I've done - and since I started using Launchbox I had one specific goal: "No game shall be without a front cover image" (yeah, I know showing off as well ;)) . That said, you can have whatever you want, what kind of pictures you want in your local Launchbox. And also any kind of custom gamelist/platform.

Spoiler

fruits.thumb.png.36ee5b243c98e88bbf3f0c766a5d240f.png

Spoiler

thrills.thumb.png.20664de295bf7b91369c0b837f679003.png

Spoiler

demos.thumb.png.24f4480be7379d4c9d669983a61b26a9.png

Spoiler

vsmile.thumb.png.138ea83647259011cbce3a0db7de336a.png

Spoiler

pikno.thumb.png.c969fd9eec2b3d317aba9aa9ef0cf493.png

Spoiler

aeyay.thumb.png.35f4e0f2e9b78f1f82f61ed259ea4df7.png

And more, if anyone's interested. I can also share those media or submit new entries when we get those and other new platforms opened in the database.

Edited by kurzih
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, unfortunately we cannot accept censored images. It makes zero difference whether a nipple is replaced with a little tiny star or not lol. This is ultimately for the longevity of the site, so we don't get shut down, and for the protection of children. LaunchBox is based in the US, and so we have to follow US laws.

And heavily censored as a fanart? i mean covering totally the surface  and not using minor workarounds like a star. This one as a example. To at least identify the game uploading as a fanart? 

y7HtGg4.png 

I don't see what the difficulty is here the images aren't welcome on the DB if they have nudity. Not censored not at all. I mean there is nothing wrong with discussion or debate but basically this has been decided by the only person whose decision matters in this case so I don't see why it isn't just dropped.

8 hours ago, zugswang said:

Sounds a bit like Twitter to me.

Has built a fine product, but now seems to be changing it to fit how he wants it, rather than the people using it.

Lol, I've been called worse things than Twitter.

5 hours ago, Freestate said:

And heavily censored as a fanart? i mean covering totally the surface  and not using minor workarounds like a star. This one as a example. To at least identify the game uploading as a fanart? 

y7HtGg4.png 

To be honest, this would be fine, but:

• The image is basically useless at this point
  • The community cannot be trusted to judge whether a particular censoring is "good enough" or not. The line will just get pushed further and further over time.

I'm sorry you guys are disappointed by this, but again, these have always been the rules.