LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

So after many many hours has the video download process finally finished. I may be an exception because I have way too many games on Steam but I ended up with 1044 videos at 35,7 GB in total. So keep that in mind guys when you also have a huge Steam collection. ;)

On my quick test I haven’t find any issues except the green line in VLC, but as I mainly use WMP with K-Lite I’m not really affected of it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@kmoney2315, let me know if you find a good solution for that; the ESRB intros drive me nuts too. Legally I'm not sure if we can automatically remove them in LaunchBox but it'd be great if there was a way to manually do it in batch after they download.

I spent a good while yesterday experimenting with different programs trying to batch remove the first 5 to 6 seconds of the steam videos to remove the ersb ratings and etc.. I have yet to find a good solution for this especially with webm files in batch. Maybe would have better success if they were converted to mp4 files. They are several programs of course to edit one file at a time, just not in batch. I found some some programs out there that you have to pay for that I beleive can do this but I did not find any free ones. I think it can be done with a program called ffmpeg which is free but it seems so confusing as you have to write scripts with dos command.

Maybe there is someone talented here who can write a bat or script file to do this process.

• Like 1

I had to learn how to use ffmpeg for my HyperSpin theme recording project and it’s actually pretty easy once you have figured out all the basics.

It would be very easy to batch cut the first 5 seconds of every video with it but the problem is that the trailers are non-consistent about this and the time varies pretty often when the actual trailer starts. I also saw a lot of videos which started directly without any logos at the beginning.

So personally I wouldn't use it because of that but if you want I can write a short command line script for that. I could even do more fancy stuff like trimming the length to a unified length, etc

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CriticalCid said:

I had to learn how to use ffmpeg for my HyperSpin theme recording project and it’s actually pretty easy once you have figured out all the basics.

It would be very easy to batch cut the first 5 seconds of every video with it but the problem is that the trailers are non-consistent about this and the time varies pretty often when the actual trailer starts. I also saw a lot of videos which started directly without any logos at the beginning.

So personally I wouldn't use it because of that but if you want I can write a short command line script for that. I could even do more fancy stuff like trimming the length to a unified length, etc

That would be great if you could write that script @CriticalCid to trim off the first few seconds of the vid. Yes I noticed that some videos do start without the ersb ratings at the beginning but the majority of my steam videos have some ersb ratings,etc. at the beginning. I was experimenting yesterday and I had settled on cutting the first 6 seconds of the vids and was happy with that but I do realize that not all videos it will be the perfect amount of time but I am ok with that. As far as trimming the lenght it doesnt really bother me as much. I know it would save on hard drive space but sometimes I like to just flip through my collection and watch the videos.:)

• Like 1

Here you have a pretty basic script for cutting out the first seconds of a various amount of videos without re-encoding/converting them. Just put it in the same folder as the “ffmpeg.exe” and start it.

But first you will have to open the .cmd file with any text editor and edit the paths for your video folder and the output folder (where it should save the edited videos). Only change the placeholder names in capital letters and leave the rest as it is.

The number after the –ss command is the length you want to cut out at the beginning. I set it to 5 seconds but you can change it as you like.

I could also add a fade-in at the beginning to make the transition more smoothly but that would require to re-encode the videos and depending on the amount of videos you have would this take quite a while .

steam_cut.cmd

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Very cool @CriticalCid; thanks for that script. We should figure out a good place to put scripts like that on the forum. Maybe in Downloads?

Sure, why not. I hadn't thought that there's so much interest for a script like that but if the people find it useful it would probably be better if it isn't get buried in this thread. Should I upload it to the third-party apps and plugins section or do you plan to add a separate section for it?

• Like 1

On 14/08/2016 at 0:25 AM, Jason Carr said:

Thanks guys. Great to hear that the k-lite pack solves the WMP playback issues.

@Mute64 I remember one person reported once that for some reason the alpha search wasn't working for one of their platforms, but I was never able to replicate it. Can you send me your LaunchBox.xml file? jason@unbrokensoftware.com

@kmoney2315, let me know if you find a good solution for that; the ESRB intros drive me nuts too. Legally I'm not sure if we can automatically remove them in LaunchBox but it'd be great if there was a way to manually do it in batch after they download.

Did you get my .xml file in the email @Jason Carr

Alright, new beta is out. This beta fixes Mute's alphanumeric index issues, which were caused by culture-specific characters.

More importantly, though, I fixed a number of issues with the VLC video playback engine, including a memory leak. It seems like I've been back and forth with the VLC engine forever, but it feels like we're finally nearing the end, so I'm grateful for that. Any testing that you guys can do with the VLC engine would be appreciated. :)

• Like 3