LaunchBox Community Forums

FFS! how the heck do I use commodore 64?????

ResidentEvul13

5 hours ago, pyster said:

I just want he emulator, vice or hoxs, to load "*",8,1. What it does is load the filename of the .d64 file, which is worthless. Generally speaking this is how most experienced commodore users would want things. Anyone have any luck with that.

As for the video tutorial... i followed it and no programs would load. They would just open the emulator (hoxs) and not load the program.

I use Vice and have no issue with having things to load up with no intervention. I suggest you start Vice externally and check your Autostart settings. Also, you can add -autostart to the default command line options to see if that sorts things for you.

15 hours ago, pyster said:

I just want he emulator, vice or hoxs, to load "*",8,1. What it does is load the filename of the .d64 file, which is worthless. Generally speaking this is how most experienced commodore users would want things. Anyone have any luck with that.

As for the video tutorial... i followed it and no programs would load. They would just open the emulator (hoxs) and not load the program.

I've found that vice, ccs64 and hoxs64 are all very decent emulators, but lately I've been using hoxs64 more as it seems to run games a little more smoothly, at least from my perspective. For the "Default Command-Line Paramaters" I use the following: -fullscreen -quickload -autoload

And so far I've had no problems, even with .d64 files. Give it a try!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/22/2018 at 7:50 AM, bundangdon said:

I've found that vice, ccs64 and hoxs64 are all very decent emulators, but lately I've been using hoxs64 more as it seems to run games a little more smoothly, at least from my perspective. For the "Default Command-Line Paramaters" I use the following: -fullscreen -quickload -autoload

And so far I've had no problems, even with .d64 files. Give it a try!

Thanks for this confirmation - just given this a go and it seems to work well!

Don't suppose if you know if it's possible to duplicate buttons (the UI doesnt allow it) - i.e. my 2p joystick uses T as up, so if I assign T to up I can't use T on the keyboard, so would like T to perform both actions

Also, I have a couple of games I've tried where it says "Hit The Button" to start - i've tried EVERY button and nothing seems to progress, so just wondering if anyone knows which particular button it's referring to?!

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Belgarath said:

Some C64 games expect the joystick to be on port 1, others port 2, so you may just need to press the fire button after swapping virtual joystick ports

Alt J

is the shortcut to do it.

Ah - that might be it - will give that a try later :)

EDIT - yup, that was it. I'd not assigned the p2 joystick as it was meaning that I didn't have keyboard to press various buttons needed to get past the annoying trainers!

Edited by vaderag

I have a new issue now - this was working 2 days ago I swear, but I'm not just getting stuck at the blue screen - from memory it was auto typing RUN and then job done, however now i'm stuck at the blue screen (because my u is mapped to another function I can't even type it!)

24 minutes ago, vaderag said:

I have a new issue now - this was working 2 days ago I swear, but I'm not just getting stuck at the blue screen - from memory it was auto typing RUN and then job done, however now i'm stuck at the blue screen (because my u is mapped to another function I can't even type it!)

Answering my own question here... seems Hoxs is VERY sensitive to the ordering of the variables. They must be in the order: -fullscreen -quickload -autoload

I had fullscreen at the end and for whatever reason it did not like it at all!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just finished with Sentai brads tutorial and was wondering why it wasn't working. Now knowing that .NIB are basically useless, ugh, wasted a lot of time... Is there an updated/better tutorial?

Edit: I am trying again now, just with the Tapes instead of the (PP) romset.

Edited by mattdawson75
added trying another rom set

8 hours ago, mattdawson75 said:

I just finished with Sentai brads tutorial and was wondering why it wasn't working. Now knowing that .NIB are basically useless, ugh, wasted a lot of time... Is there an updated/better tutorial?

Edit: I am trying again now, just with the Tapes instead of the (PP) romset.

You can convert your nib files using this converter: https://c64preservation.com/files/nibtools/

Okay, I got a different Commodore rom set. I originally had one that said Commodore 64 (PP) but those were .NIB files so now I have a set called Commodore 64 (Tapes) and they are .TAP files.

I have the same problem as before, Commodore just opens up to the blue screen and no games start. I have -quickload -autoload written in the settings for hoxs64. I have tried multiple Commodore 64 games. What else should I try?

commodore 1.PNG

commodore 2.PNG

Edit: So I tried the same file in retroarch. It actually gets beyond the purple screen. And it opens up in full screen. I tried to play a 007 game. It opened up, and a saw a bunch of horizontal lines and flashing colors. So I guess it still didn't work.

Zombeaver, is this why you made your curated collection of C64 games, because most of these just don't work? I will follow your configuration and instructions if that's the case because this seems pretty hopeless at this point.

Edited by mattdawson75
adding more details

10 hours ago, mattdawson75 said:

Zombeaver, is this why you made your curated collection of C64 games, because most of these just don't work? I will follow your configuration and instructions if that's the case because this seems pretty hopeless at this point.

It's less about games not working than it is about the fact that 1) there's an insane number of games for people to have to sift through to find stuff that they'd potentially want to play - there's literally about 30,000 C64 games - my set will likely be about 4000~ by the time all is said and done and 2) no single emulator solution, by itself, does what I want, in terms of features and convenience of use, so I'm combining Retroarch, Autohotkey, and Antimicro to get the result that I want, and making the experience easier for others in the process. It's something that I would do for myself regardless, because I love the C64, but there's no point in hoarding it either.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2019 at 4:38 PM, Zombeaver said:

2) no single emulator solution, by itself, does what I want, in terms of features and convenience of use

Isn't that the truth.

I have CCS64, CCS64 in DOS, Hosx64, MAME, WInVice and Retroarch Vice as options for running C64 games.

IMHO, when it comes to C64 loading, the Maximum 1541 Speed option in CCS64 is amazing and warp mode in the other emulators doesn't come close. The issue I was having with CCS64 was audio "hiccups". I had almost given up and switched to using WinVice, but found a copy of CCS64 that was compiled differently and it eliminated the major audio hiccups. (There are a lot of CCS64 compiled versions out there; different compilers, release, debug, etc)

SID emulation is still better in Vice, but with this version was much improved in CCS64 and what I use.

Since I have a custom iPac2 map for my cabinet controls, I have access to the important C64 keys I need. (space, RUN/STOP, F1, F3, F5, F7, Return, Swap Joysticks, Y, N)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...