LaunchBox Community Forums

Playlist Auto Generate Tutorial

Lordmonkus

This is a feature that while not difficult is semi hidden in Launchbox so here is a guide to help get started with them.

The first thing you want to do is using the drop down menu on the top left hand side of the Launchbox window is to select "Playlists".

59710b56106a3_2017-07-2015_56_58-LaunchBoxPremium-LicensedtoScottSmith.thumb.png.9287e974b4b979a6fcaaeccbf6ae137f.pngNext you will want to press the + button that you see at the top right of the above screencap, this will then bring you to the following window where you will set it all up.

59710bbd84b35_2017-07-2015_58_41-AddPlaylist.thumb.png.dc928da42aa09fa1a9b0ce49fc1bd4f2.pngName it what you want to call it and if you want the playlist to show when viewing platforms check the "Include this Playlist in Platforms Lists" box and if you want it to show in a specific Platform Category choose from the dropdown menu below the checkbox.

Next go to the Auto-Populate tab and check the "Auto-Populate this Playlist" box. You will now be able to set all the different parameters that the list can be generated using.

59710d490e4f9_2017-07-2016_05_48-NVIDIAGeForceOverlay.thumb.png.f366f0ceb61a1f95ab4d85b91fdf91ee.png59710d90d1a56_2017-07-2016_07_20-NVIDIAGeForceOverlay.thumb.png.25d2a0903a9f7819b189e6f1ecb2b986.png59710da7cdfbf_2017-07-2016_07_53-AddPlaylist.thumb.png.c18187c1a49286785f498997ddc1b8df.pngThe screen shots above will generate a playlist of games tagged with the genre of shooter in the games meta data. This of course as it sits will grab every single game in your library which can be rather unwieldy so let's narrow it down to only NES games.

59710e7c9e545_2017-07-2016_11_33-EditPlaylist.thumb.png.035bed4b0b7beaa71d620901aa7ab21c.pngClick the Ok button and your playlist should now be showing on the left.

59710eb0de2d4_2017-07-2016_12_20-LaunchBoxPremium-LicensedtoScottSmith.png.d75a01ffc4e3832b51c1513fc227cfbf.pngYou can use the Field, Comparison and Value to customize your playlists quite a lot. If you want to modify a playlist or remove it simply right click it and choose what you want to do from the context menu.

59710f9121408_2017-07-2016_15_10-LaunchBoxPremium-LicensedtoScottSmith.png.2d533ed1d189dd42c99d97ce88b4ab64.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there a way to use more than 2 criteria to fill a playlist? For instance, I'm trying to make some Genre playlists for games not in a series; and I also want a catch-all playlist to see any games that are neither in a series nor in one of my genre playlists.

This kind of filtering works with 2 criteria, but not 3 for some reason.

Example.gif

• 4 months later...

I created a universal "recently played" playlist that show the last played games across all platforms.  I've also added it to the Platforms view.  I would like for this playlist to be automatically selected when starting BigBox.  Is there a way to make a specific menu item (a playlist acting as a platform) the default when booting BigBox?

• 1 month later...

Feature Request:

I like this feature, but would love to see it leverage OR conditions, and also more Comparison types, like Does Not Contain. For example, for the Nintendo Classics playlist from MAME, I'd like to be able to include all games where Publisher = Nintendo OR Title Contains "Vs." to also catch some of the Konami-developed Nintendo VS games. I'm also showing some "Game and Watch" handheld games in my Arcade platform Nintendo Classics playlist. I'd love to filter these out with a Publisher = Nintendo AND Title Does Not Contain "Game and Watch". And to be able to Nest/Combine these AND and OR conditions.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to auto-generate only if its a complete word, with parenthesis?

Meaning, I want to create a 007 playlist, however, if I create a filter for "Title" and "007" it shows me tons of options such as MLB 2007, NFL 2007, etc.

Also, if I want to show Mario only and not Super Mario, you would think to add (2) title criteria, but this doesn't work as intended.

• Title - Contains - Mario
  • Title - Does not equal - Super

The setup above, will output every title without Super and does not account for the first title option "Mario"

Edited by whazzzzzup17
Additional request
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/28/2020 at 12:39 AM, whazzzzzup17 said:

Is there a way to auto-generate only if its a complete word, with parenthesis?

Meaning, I want to create a 007 playlist, however, if I create a filter for "Title" and "007" it shows me tons of options such as MLB 2007, NFL 2007, etc.

Also, if I want to show Mario only and not Super Mario, you would think to add (2) title criteria, but this doesn't work as intended.

• Title - Contains - Mario
  • Title - Does not equal - Super

The setup above, will output every title without Super and does not account for the first title option "Mario"

Just discovering this issue also. Trying to amend the sports arcade playlist to not include "Sport / Soccer" games as i have them in a separate playlist.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here. I try to create a playlist of Capcom arcade games that aren't cps1, cps2 nor cps3 source (which have separate playlists). It's not working as multiple conditions over same field.

@Jason Carr There’s a simple solution: for “Editor” or "Developer" fields there are already additional operators “Has all the values”, “Has at least one of the values” and “Doesn’t have any of the values” for semicolon separated multiple values list. This just needs to be extended to the other text based fields (Title, Source, Region, Platform...).

I think this bitbucket ticket applies: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/4565/playlist-auto-populate-suggestions-and-or

Edited by mgtroyas

@C-Beats Mmm perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I get this exception, both using "," or ";" as separators:

image.thumb.png.a18994a4a0d5e7ccc2b324036524e0db.png

The option is marked red when selected on the list, and isn't translated to Spanish, perhaps it's missing the translation.

(Inner Exception)

The given key 'DoesntContain' was not present in the dictionary.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 11.13-beta-1
Type:    System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException
Site:    Void ThrowKeyNotFoundException[T](T)
Source:  System.Private.CoreLib

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Data.FieldComparisonTypes.GetComparisonType(String comparisonTypeKey)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.AddEditPlaylistViewModel.DefineXmlCollection(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.AddEditPlaylistViewModel.Save()

(Outer Exception)

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Type:    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
Site:    System.Object InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean, Boolean)

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor, Boolean wrapExceptions)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters)
   at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.<>c.<.cctor>b__33_0(ActionExecutionContext context)
   at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.Invoke(Object eventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Interactivity.TriggerBase.InvokeActions(Object parameter)
   at System.Windows.Interactivity.EventTriggerBase.OnEvent(EventArgs eventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Interactivity.EventTriggerBase.OnEventImpl(Object sender, EventArgs eventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

9:51:55 Exception

Edited by mgtroyas

2 hours ago, mgtroyas said:

@C-Beats Mmm perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I get this exception, both using "," or ";" as separators:

image.thumb.png.a18994a4a0d5e7ccc2b324036524e0db.png

The option is marked red when selected on the list, and isn't translated to Spanish, perhaps it's missing the translation.

(Inner Exception)

The given key 'DoesntContain' was not present in the dictionary.

Type:    System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException
Site:    Void ThrowKeyNotFoundException[T](T)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Data.FieldComparisonTypes.GetComparisonType(String comparisonTypeKey)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.AddEditPlaylistViewModel.DefineXmlCollection(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.AddEditPlaylistViewModel.Save()

(Outer Exception)

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Type:    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
Site:    System.Object InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean, Boolean)

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor, Boolean wrapExceptions)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters)
   at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.<>c.<.cctor>b__33_0(ActionExecutionContext context)
   at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.Invoke(Object eventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Interactivity.TriggerBase.InvokeActions(Object parameter)
   at System.Windows.Interactivity.EventTriggerBase.OnEvent(EventArgs eventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Interactivity.EventTriggerBase.OnEventImpl(Object sender, EventArgs eventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

9:51:55 Exception

Maybe a section can only have one definition so separators do not work. Have you tried a separate entry for each source?

No, that was the way I tried on 11.12, seems still not being valid. With three separated "Source" sections, all 164 games are shown:

image.thumb.png.dabecba0bcd257739884c8d4fd4cb7ee.png

With only one section, filtering works (130 games shown):

image.thumb.png.13dcbcdf800304687899d4eb66895090.png

For comparison, no "Source" filtering, all 164 games shown:

image.thumb.png.9ea2702c1437846cd5812942a78e1df1.png

Ok but I've found how to make it work! I must use the "No tiene ninguno de los valores" ("Doesn't have any of the values") instead, then only 86 games are shown as expected:

image.thumb.png.f08b8be4521a10a573b5e3c9372e3414.png

So seems that option is working. Anyway I think "Doesn't contain" has some problem, as it's marked in red when selected, and if used the error exception shows when accepting changes:

image.thumb.png.21d368c4a2582b733041e3ea88e66f5f.png