LaunchBox Community Forums

8.2-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

6 hours ago, spectral said:

Not sure if this is a bug or an intended change but when I search for something in LB then select it, when I close the search to get the rest of the games to show up again it de-selects the game and jumps back to the top.

Weird that it deselects your game. For me, after searching, selecting a game, and then clearing the search filter, it does not deselect the game I had selected, but it does jump to the top instead of staying where that filter landed. Not sure if I would want it to stay there or jump back to the top, but I think I kind of like it jumping back to the top after clearing the search filter.

29 minutes ago, ckp said:

Weird that it deselects your game. For me, after searching, selecting a game, and then clearing the search filter, it does not deselect the game I had selected, but it does jump to the top instead of staying where that filter landed. Not sure if I would want it to stay there or jump back to the top, but I think I kind of like it jumping back to the top after clearing the search filter.

Maybe it isn't de-selecting then, I just assumed it was and thats why it was jumping back to the top. If its going to stay jumping to the top I'm going to have to disable updates and stick to 8.1 for quite a while.

I guess it depends on whether or not it was intentional and how most people would like it. I'd happily stay on 8.1 for a while if more people prefer it like this. I'm just currently going through mame trying each game and deciding which to keep and which to delete and its an easy way of getting back to where I was.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, not sure how long this bug has been there, but I just noticed it in the beta. 

When using full screen cover flow and the attract stops on a game that is missing video, this artifact shows up and never goes away. The only way to fix it is to exit back to main platform selection wheel, or to restart BigBox. 

Photo atached

17B19A6C-B390-46AA-BA2B-6B54071285A4.jpeg

On 3/14/2018 at 3:50 AM, xoran said:

Ok, not sure how long this bug has been there, but I just noticed it in the beta. 

When using full screen cover flow and the attract stops on a game that is missing video, this artifact shows up and never goes away. The only way to fix it is to exit back to main platform selection wheel, or to restart BigBox. 

Photo atached

17B19A6C-B390-46AA-BA2B-6B54071285A4.jpeg

What video playback engine are you using? WMP or VLC?

Beta 3 is out now guys with some big stuff. First off, the Steam import wizard has been fixed to require the user to get their own API key, since Steam keeps killing ours for whatever stupid reason.

Secondly, before I get into the big thing, please know that we've been working on the "Options to Filter Out Games that are Missing Images/Media" item from the poll. However, it's been kicking our butt because it's proving very difficult to pull off without running into major performance issues. So that is already working, but I've removed it from the beta release because it's just not ready yet.

And the big thing...LaunchBox.Next is now available; it's a complete overhaul for the main LaunchBox interface. It's largely still in development, but you can try it out by clicking the LaunchBox.Next button in the header or running the new LaunchBox.Next.exe file from the LaunchBox folder. Quick screenie:

image.thumb.png.bce370962d58fda4daf5afd9686a8430.pngI will be posting shortly about the reasons we're building this and the details in a separate post. I'll link it here in a bit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ckp said:

oh yeah!!! it won't be possible to mess any of the regular launchbox.exe app settings up if we try the new .next one right? so no risk to existing setup? maybe htat will be part of your next post hopefully

There's always a risk with betas. That said, I don't think there's significantly more risk here than usual with beta releases.

Edit: Back up your stuff. :P

• Thanks 1

With everything after 8.1, when you search in LB then highlight one of the result and than cancel the search it now jumps back to the beginning, whereas in 8.1 and prior it stayed on the highlighted game. Is this permanent and intentional or a bug? I have been going through the mame roms and deleting games I dont want to keep and since there are far too many to do at once the search was a good way of getting back to where I left off. Unfortunately that is no longer possible in the newer versions.

True, but with something the size of the mame romset even that is significantly slower. I usually just copy/paste the name of the last rom I checked. I think I'm just going to turn off updates and go back to 8.1.

Speaking of pressing pressing the key doesn't seem to jump to that letter in the new LBN

Edited by spectral

On 2/28/2018 at 8:22 PM, Jason Carr said:

Alright, beta 2 is out now folks with the following:

- New Feature: The list view in LaunchBox now allows you to hide and show columns by right-clicking on the column headers, and will save your preferences as well as the column order

- Improvement: A new "Show Platform Banner Images" option was added to Big Box to allow you to hide the platform banner images if you don't want them obstructing the view of the background; the setting is available under Options > Images.

- Improvement: A new "Allow Computer to Sleep while not in Attract Mode" option has been added to the Big Box General options for users who want Big Box to allow their computers to sleep

- Fixed: Sorting by title in the LaunchBox list view now correctly sorts by Sort Title

- Fixed: When using the search box in LaunchBox, the scroll position was not reset which was sometimes confusing because it appeared that not all results were shown

- Fixed: The images portion of the Edit Game dialog had some minor positioning issues on higher DPIs

I also fixed the button placement/sizing issues that were showing up for translations in the main window (this was introduced in beta 1). :)

That first feature I'm just ecstatic and over the moon about. I've been wanting this feature for a long time now. I use and prefer the list view and this is just so much awesome.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2018 at 6:46 PM, Jason Carr said:

- Improvement: A new "Wheel Easing" option has been added to Big Box that makes wheels and CoverFlow appear smoother by easing animations in and out. It's on by default but can be disabled under Options > Views.

i know i'm superlate for this but WOAH! finally! 

great addition, good job!

On 3/15/2018 at 4:45 PM, spectral said:

With everything after 8.1, when you search in LB then highlight one of the result and than cancel the search it now jumps back to the beginning, whereas in 8.1 and prior it stayed on the highlighted game. Is this permanent and intentional or a bug? I have been going through the mame roms and deleting games I dont want to keep and since there are far too many to do at once the search was a good way of getting back to where I left off. Unfortunately that is no longer possible in the newer versions.

This is a side-effect of the fix we put in for search usability. I probably won't put in extra effort here for the previous version of LaunchBox, because of LaunchBox.Next. We can re-address with LaunchBox.Next depending on how it's working there.