LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroHumanoid Cinematics & Refried Theme

15 minutes ago, ed20910 said:

Your could turn off the game details and set a keyboard or controller key in the BB options to go to the game details screen. I recently went this route, no longer have to click play twice to start a game and I still have access to the game details and launch with if I need them.

Good idea.  I might try that.  Thx

5 minutes ago, ed20910 said:

Kind of off the subject but maybe not, @Jason Carr Is there a way to enable an additional place to theme change in the platform category view? Right now you can enable only a default global theme from the main category all the way to the spot where you enter the nested playlist and view the actual games in the list. Once in the list we can choose an add-on theme or even a different theme, but would have to do it for every platform and playlist.

Not currently. I would like to change it up so that you can update the theme and the selected image type for a platform including all child playlists at once, but allowing a different theme for each child category is not on the immediate radar.

9 minutes ago, djsupermariooo said:

First off, amazing work Retro! Really enjoying this theme, thank you so much for putting in the time and hard work to make this!

Quick question though, I have BB view set to Platform Categories and my categories so far consist of Arcade, Collections, Computers, Console, and Handhelds (using your neon platform category videos!). For the Collections category, I am unable to find a background/video border for that category. I'm just wondering if that's something that is available, or if you might have a better suggestion on how to organize these categories to use resources that might already be in the theme. I'm planning on doing Genre, Year, or Developer categories within each platform so I'm also wondering about backgrounds/video borders in that scenario as well.

There is a Collections Addon available on the Unified Refried download page...it's the first theme at the top of the download list. You will have to activate it for every collection wheel,but,all of the art is in there for backgrounds and borders. I do have a Genres addon there as well,but,the developers one was never fully completed,so I haven't released it yet

So the way I originally was doing it,by changing the Auto Generating Filter from Platform to Genre...It didn't work in the end...for some reason most playlists were fine....but,then I got to "Platform Games" and the change made it create a playlist with 2600 games in it...so I knew then it wasn't gonna work.It wasn't creating a filter for MAME Genre...it was just nullifying it as a filter because MAME Genre doesn't exist.

That's the bad news...the good news is that after alot of trial and error,I managed to get it working a different way.

I deleted the filter for Platform/Arcade altogether and added one for Application/Rom Path - Contains instead. I typed in my Rom directory and voila! It works. I have put this filter in for every Classics as well as every Genre playlist for MAME,and they all are correct,and functioning with the correct artwork....but,most importantly they are nested.

I noticed that even on the top level,non nested user created playlists used the default artwork instead of the designated art...but this filter change fixed that too.

This is only an issue with arcade...consoles are fine

Anyone with my theme,wishing to do this as a fix/temp fix will need to drop the word arcade from the front of the playlists as well....or alternatively you can go into the images folder and add the word Arcade to the start of the VideoBorders and Backgrounds for Arcade playlists (This is the suggested method,because moving forward,all updates to my theme will have Arcade at the front of the playlist cabinet art file names)...either method will work.

Now,with all this said @Jason Carr I am just curious if changing the way Auto Generated playlists for Arcade are created,filters I mean....and having it auto enter the mame rom path,leaving off the Platform/Arcade filter altogether would be the easiest way to fix this?.....then playlists can be nested and use the proper art. People have to point Launchbox to the mame rom directory when they import the roms,even before making the playlists...so it stores that info already. Or if that's to difficult,maybe when they are prompted to create the playlists,they point to the roms again for that separate task? Just spit-balling here.

Edited by RetroHumanoid
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the work on this theme.

In the Arcade specific theme I notice that all work as expected except the "Pinball Arcade" playlist.  If LB auto generates the playlist it uses the Unique Name as Pinball Arcade and Nested Name of Pinball Arcade (which doesn't match the others).  If use this, then theme uses the default art (not Arcade default). If rename playlist to something like "Arcade Pinball" which matches the other arcade playlist naming conventions it will pickup the arcade default theme cabinet art but still not the specific one for Pinball Arcade.  I noticed in the Images folder of the Arcade theme it uses the name "Arcade Pinball".   I tried renaming my playlist a variety of different ways to match as well as the pinball arcade theme art but it never picks up the specific version.  Not super critical but likely a naming issue somewhere. 

20 minutes ago, sundogak said:

Thanks for all the work on this theme.

In the Arcade specific theme I notice that all work as expected except the "Pinball Arcade" playlist.  If LB auto generates the playlist it uses the Unique Name as Pinball Arcade and Nested Name of Pinball Arcade (which doesn't match the others).  If use this, then theme uses the default art (not Arcade default). If rename playlist to something like "Arcade Pinball" which matches the other arcade playlist naming conventions it will pickup the arcade default theme cabinet art but still not the specific one for Pinball Arcade.  I noticed in the Images folder of the Arcade theme it uses the name "Arcade Pinball".   I tried renaming my playlist a variety of different ways to match as well as the pinball arcade theme art but it never picks up the specific version.  Not super critical but likely a naming issue somewhere. 

Yeah...it's the only problematic Arcade playlist. I renamed mine to "Arcade Pinball" because I have a program called "Pinball Arcade" on my cabinet,and it conflicts with it in terms of artwork/platform video. Mine is displaying the artwork fine though,and all I did was change the playlist and nested name to "Arcade Pinball"...the videoborder and background should be named "Arcade Pinball" as well.

7 hours ago, RetroHumanoid said:

So the way I originally was doing it,by changing the Auto Generating Filter from Platform to Genre...It didn't work in the end...for some reason most playlists were fine....but,then I got to "Platform Games" and the change made it create a playlist with 2600 games in it...so I knew then it wasn't gonna work.It wasn't creating a filter for MAME Genre...it was just nullifying it as a filter because MAME Genre doesn't exist.

That's the bad news...the good news is that after alot of trial and error,I managed to get it working a different way.

I deleted the filter for Platform/Arcade altogether and added one for Application/Rom Path - Contains instead. I typed in my Rom directory and voila! It works. I have put this filter in for every Classics as well as every Genre playlist for MAME,and they all are correct,and functioning with the correct artwork....but,most importantly they are nested.

I noticed that even on the top level,non nested user created playlists used the default artwork instead of the designated art...but this filter change fixed that too.

This is only an issue with arcade...consoles are fine

Anyone with my theme,wishing to do this as a fix/temp fix will need to drop the word arcade from the front of the playlists as well....or alternatively you can go into the images folder and add the word Arcade to the start of the VideoBorders and Backgrounds for Arcade playlists (This is the suggested method,because moving forward,all updates to my theme will have Arcade at the front of the playlist cabinet art file names)...either method will work.

Now,with all this said @Jason Carr I am just curious if changing the way Auto Generated playlists for Arcade are created,filters I mean....and having it auto enter the mame rom path,leaving off the Platform/Arcade filter altogether would be the easiest way to fix this?.....then playlists can be nested and use the proper art. People have to point Launchbox to the mame rom directory when they import the roms,even before making the playlists...so it stores that info already. Or if that's to difficult,maybe when they are prompted to create the playlists,they point to the roms again for that separate task? Just spit-balling here.

That all makes a lot more sense. I'd say that's a good workaround for now, but I think we can do better once I tackle it properly. I'll get that done next week. :)

• Like 1

Make sure you refresh platform logos in the options menu after you place a new logo in the folder

All Locations.....

Launchbox/Images/Playlists/(Genre Type)/Clear Logo/

Launchbox/Images/Playlists/(Platform All Games)/Clear Logo/

Launchbox/Images/Playlists/(Platform Favorites)/Clear Logo/

Launchbox/Images/Playlists/(Platform Cooperative)/Clear Logo/

Launchbox/Images/Playlists/(Platform MultiPlayer)/Clear Logo/

Launchbox/Images/Playlists/(Platform Single Player)/Clear Logo/

Launchbox/Images/Platform Categories/(Platform Genres)/Clear Logo/

Launchbox/Images/Platform Categories/(Platform Play Modes)/Clear Logo/

Launchbox/Images/Platform Categories/(Platform Regions)/Clear Logo/

@RetroHumanoid @CriticalCid I think I finally have a good and proper solution for the paths issues via a new plugin, which is attached. It allows you to prioritize up to 5 different file names, checks to see if they exist, and then outputs the first one that actually exists. This should allow us much more flexibility for the Unified themes when loading up images.

To use it, just drop the DLL file in the theme's plugin folder, of course, then add the following line to the top section of the XAML, with all the other references:

xmlns:PathSelector="clr-namespace:Unbroken.LaunchBox.Plugins.PrioritizedPathSelector;assembly=Unbroken.LaunchBox.Plugins.PrioritizedPathSelector"

Then you can replace the existing TextBlock/Image binding solution with something like this:

<!-- LOGO -->
<PathSelector:PrioritizedPathSelector x:Name="LogoFileName" FolderPath="Themes\Unified Redux\Images\Theme\Logo" FileExtension=".png"
	Priority1FileName="{Binding FilterTitle}"
	Priority2FileName="{Binding KnownPlatformOrPlaylistTitle}"
	Priority3FileName="_Default" />
<Image x:Name="LogoImage" Grid.ColumnSpan="7" Grid.RowSpan="8" Source="{Binding PrioritizedFilePath, ElementName=LogoFileName, FallbackValue='pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Themes/Unified Redux/Images/Theme/Logo/_Default.png'}" Opacity="100" Panel.ZIndex="3" Stretch="Fill" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality" />

Basically, you create the PrioritizedPathSelector element (which replaces the previous TextBlock element), specify the FolderPath and FileExtension properties, and then add properties for the Priority1FileName, Priority2FileName, etc. The resulting PrioritizedFilePath property, which is bound in the Image element, will return the first full path that exists.

Let me know if you guys have any questions or run into any issues. I will admit I haven't exactly tested it to the moon and back, so don't bang your head against it too hard if something isn't working. Just let me know and I'll take a look and get it fixed.

Unbroken.LaunchBox.Plugins.PrioritizedPathSelector.zip

One last note as to the prioritized file names listed above. You may choose to switch them up depending on what you're looking for, but the way it will work currently is this:

1. Uses the FilterTitle property just like the original theme did. If you're on a platform, you'll get the platform name. If you're on a playlist, you'll get the full playlist name, such as "Nintendo Entertainment System Action". So it will be easy for folks to create platform/genre-specific sets for only some of them, and use them as they're created.
  2. Subsequently, if the above isn't found, it will use the new KnownPlatformOrPlaylistTitle property, which will return the arcade playlist name for those known arcade playlists, or the parent platform name for the non-arcade stuff. This ensures that it always reverts to the parent platform's images so that nothing is blank.
  3. It uses the "_Default.png" or "_Default.jpg" file name, depending on the extension, if nothing else exists.

One more thought I just had is that we may want to add something for the Arcade playlist nested names vs. the full names, since arcade playlists can be named "Arcade Capcom Classics" or just "Capcom Classics". We can probably just bind to Platform.NestedName and add another priority line for that.

Edit: Unified Redux is out with the changes (including the above), so you can check this out there if needed. Sorry for hijacking this thread.