LaunchBox Community Forums

9.2-beta-2 Released

Jason Carr

Hi @Jason Carr Great work as always loving the start up screens, I only having 1 issue I use Retroarch for most of my systems and all cores Ive tried seem to work properly apart from the Sega Genesis using the genesisplus core, when I start a game the startup screen starts then straight after the gameover screen appears before the game loads this core works for the others systems flawlessly e.g. Sega Master System, Ive tried the picodrive core and that's seems to work fine Im guessing this could be a core related issue rather than an issue with the startup screen maybe a setting Im missing? I guess I could just use picodrive core just curious what this could be any advice from anyone would be appreciated thanks 

• Like 1

I'm loving Beta 4 even though I've so far just been taking care of Arcade stuff at the moment, I just wonder if, when, and how can we change the shutdown screen? "Game Over" seems so right..but what if we wanted to change it to say something else or make it just fade back to LaunchBox or BigBox like in previous Betas again?

1 hour ago, RULLUR said:

I'm loving Beta 4 even though I've so far just been taking care of Arcade stuff at the moment, I just wonder if, when, and how can we change the shutdown screen? "Game Over" seems so right..but what if we wanted to change it to say something else or make it just fade back to LaunchBox or BigBox like in previous Betas again?

In the Default Shutdown.xml you can edit the wording in following section. I am not skilled in code and I was able to change the text, color, size, and add an italic easily.

<Grid Grid.Row="5" Grid.Column="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="5">
                <TextBlock Text="Thank You For Playing..." Foreground="Aqua" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Center"
                    FontSize="80" FontStyle="Italic" Typography.Capitals="AllSmallCaps" />

For my son he wanted a standard exit image of Sub-Zero so I was even able to edit the theme to use a default image only. This is for his minicade in his room.

GameOver.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there (or will there be) a way to disable the shutdown screen outright? I've found that some stuff (like stuff launched with .bats using "start blah blah") don't really work well with them because it thinks it's shutting down immediately after it starts.

I'm also getting crashes with every Steam game launch:

image.thumb.png.26de4178bb5e0f8507c7789266b4b4f1.pngAt this point I have no mouse cursor and have to navigate to control panel -> mouse -> pointers and change it to something else and then back to default... without a cursor :(

This goes away when I disable the startup screens.

7 hours ago, Napalm2016 said:

Hi @Jason Carr Great work as always loving the start up screens, I only having 1 issue I use Retroarch for most of my systems and all cores Ive tried seem to work properly apart from the Sega Genesis using the genesisplus core, when I start a game the startup screen starts then straight after the gameover screen appears before the game loads this core works for the others systems flawlessly e.g. Sega Master System, Ive tried the picodrive core and that's seems to work fine Im guessing this could be a core related issue rather than an issue with the startup screen maybe a setting Im missing? I guess I could just use picodrive core just curious what this could be any advice from anyone would be appreciated thanks 

Odd. When I test with the genesisplus_gx_libretro core, I don't get that issue. Is that the exact core that you're using? What version of Retroarch are you running? Generally, when that happens it's because the initial process closed out and just fired off another process, but that's a strange behavior for Retroarch.

1 hour ago, Zombeaver said:

Is there (or will there be) a way to disable the shutdown screen outright? I've found that some stuff (like stuff launched with .bats using "start blah blah") don't really work well with them because it thinks it's shutting down immediately after it starts.

I'm also getting crashes with every Steam game launch:

image.thumb.png.26de4178bb5e0f8507c7789266b4b4f1.pngAt this point I have no mouse cursor and have to navigate to control panel -> mouse -> pointers and change it to something else and then back to default... without a cursor :(

This goes away when I disable the startup screens.

Yes, it looks like I will need to add that on an emulator and game-specific basis. That error is strange though since I don't get it when I run Steam games myself. However, it does immediately show the shutdown screen after the startup screen because of the way Steam works. I'll be coming up with a solution for that here soon.

7 hours ago, Napalm2016 said:

Check your associated platform for that system, it sounds like retroarch cant load a core so just exits. As Jason said it also works fine for me here, so it sounds like a emulator setup issue.

8 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Odd. When I test with the genesisplus_gx_libretro core, I don't get that issue. Is that the exact core that you're using? What version of Retroarch are you running? Generally, when that happens it's because the initial process closed out and just fired off another process, but that's a strange behavior for Retroarch.

Thanks @Jason Carr and @neil9000 I have no idea what the issue was but I copied the picodrive core settings and now seems to work with no problems so must have been a setting in retroarch itself somewhere

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Omen said:

@Jason Carr Auto Populated playlists are still showing up in the Add to Playlist menu.

It's possible that you generated those playlists with an early beta release; that would be my guess. It's looking for an "Autogenerated" flag on those playlists to hide them. My guess would be just that they were created with a beta before that existed. Does it work if you remove them and re-create them?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It's possible that you generated those playlists with an early beta release; that would be my guess. It's looking for an "Autogenerated" flag on those playlists to hide them. My guess would be just that they were created with a beta before that existed. Does it work if you remove them and re-create them?

Yup that was it, thank you! I used Notepad++ to change IsAutogenerated to true and now those playlists are hidden.

• Like 1

Demul is loading normally for Naomi stuff..but on default settings it Launches with the Startup Screen and then the Shutdown Screen almost right after to where I get sent back to LaunchBox with the Demul Window and then it stretches the Window to where it then loads up the game while having a mouse cursor over the top of it.

Not sure it's possible yet..but I'd maybe like to see Startup Screens that allow you to use Animated GIFs and Videos too. Like if I wanted to do something for a Sonic or Mario Game I can have then running in the corner while maybe in the background there's a Video of some Gameplay that fades off into the loaded game. Would be nice to maybe even take it as far using Console startup videos in it depending on what was played. I already have it that way for my BigBox though

2 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Demul is loading normally for Naomi stuff..but on default settings it Launches with the Startup Screen and then the Shutdown Screen almost right after to where I get sent back to LaunchBox with the Demul Window and then it stretches the Window to where it then loads up the game while having a mouse cursor over the top of it.

Okay; I'll do some testing with Demul. Can anyone else confirm this?

1 hour ago, RULLUR said:

Not sure it's possible yet..but I'd maybe like to see Startup Screens that allow you to use Animated GIFs and Videos too. Like if I wanted to do something for a Sonic or Mario Game I can have then running in the corner while maybe in the background there's a Video of some Gameplay that fades off into the loaded game. Would be nice to maybe even take it as far using Console startup videos in it depending on what was played. I already have it that way for my BigBox though

Animated GIFs and videos do work just fine in the themes, so they should work just fine in the startup and shutdown themes as well. I do need to test this to make sure though; I have that on my list.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay; I'll do some testing with Demul. Can anyone else confirm this?

Animated GIFs and videos do work just fine in the themes, so they should work just fine in the startup and shutdown themes as well. I do need to test this to make sure though; I have that on my list.

Awesome & Thank You to both of those @Jason Carr!

• Like 1

Beta 5 is out now with the following:

• New option to disable the shutdown screen in emulator settings
  • Improved default startup screen settings for DOSBox, ScummVM, and Steam games
  • Pressing escape or back buttons will now cancel out of game loading and immediately close the startup screen
  • A new "Aggressive Startup Window Hiding" option is available in the emulator settings which helps to hide startup windows for stubborn emulators (Project64 for example)

The new aggressive startup window hiding option should be used sparingly and only for emulators that need it, since it can cause various issues with other emulators that don't need it. I'll update the first post of this topic again with status.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I am getting this same issue with Sammy Atomiswave and Naomi in Demul. Dreamcast and Hikaru work fine. So I am opposite when it comes Naomi from what Rullur reported.

I have yet to try anything outside of Naomi & Naomi 2 since I've mainly been working on getting those to Launch, but good to know I may have the same thing happen with Atomiswave and all. Dreamcast I'm likely to never know since I own one and if anything I'd probably run my Discs through Demul when it comes to that.

Above all I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing things like that with Demul when usually I tend to end up with something very few people experience due to possibly having their setups much more tighty than mine or have higher graded processors and all while I mainly have tons and tons of games on a Low Spec Laptop at most Ha!Ha!Ha! The main thing is we all are helping the process due to having everything working properly on various levels