LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android 0.6 Beta Released!

Jason Carr

Hi, 

It may be a bit early to ask, but are the big box themes will be similar on Android?  Visually speaking of course.

I love my big box set up on my pc and have been waiting for launchbox on Android for a long time, but I had to opt for arc browser, which I find really cool, but there theme customization doesn't go as far as my big box.

Since I bought arc browser 9 €, I would not want to invest in another frontend if visually it doesn't have something better.

By the way thank you for all your work. 

8 minutes ago, gaialily said:

Hi, 

It may be a bit early to ask, but are the big box themes will be similar on Android?  Visually speaking of course.

I love my big box set up on my pc and have been waiting for launchbox on Android for a long time, but I had to opt for arc browser, which I find really cool, but there theme customization doesn't go as far as my big box.

Since I bought arc browser 9 €, I would not want to invest in another frontend if visually it doesn't have something better.

By the way thank you for all your work. 

Jason did address this is the FAQ from the first post on the thread. 

On 8/23/2019 at 4:30 PM, Jason Carr said:

FAQ

Will LaunchBox for Android support Big Box features? Yes, we plan to add Big Box-type views and features to the Android app soon.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Skidda420 said:

Not working on either Nvidia shield or other devices. I go to open it, get a white screen and then it just closes. Have done multiple restarts and still same issues. Anyone else experiencing this?

There is an update I've already submitted to hopefully fix this issue. I'm just still waiting on Google to make that new beta live.

48 minutes ago, martinconroy said:

One big is that whatever menu item you choose after selecting the "Options" item will cause it to crash

What device are you using?

2 hours ago, mosestyle said:

I just bought Launchbox and so far it's working great! :)

However i noticed that we are forced to use the "regular" Retroarch... We can't use Retroarch x64.

I know that i might won't matter, but is it possible to fix this in the future updates? :D

Yes, I do plan to address this very soon.

2 hours ago, mosestyle said:

I don't know if only i have this problem, but for some reason, i can't export all my NES games.. It only exports 3 of them and ignores the rest (136 games)... And it always export the same game.

I can export all games from every platform except NES. And they all have the same format (.zip)

I'll look into this.

1 hour ago, GonjaT said:

A feature I would like to request in the future is the ability to save games on the cloud, or even sync saves to my pc then to a new device for when I switch. For example, play on a bus using phone, go to work, continue playing on the bus home, get home, press a button to sync saves, fire up my shield TV and resume saves, now whether it's just the press of a button on both devices to send and receive Idc lol I could even connect phone to pc, open launchbox and click a button there as it's on the same network as my shield. This is one of the best things that retrox has but the need to be online all the time pushed me away. Thanks. 

It's probably a lot of work but thank you for everything you do Jason and the team! 

This may or may not be possible, as I'm not sure if game saves would be compatible between, for example, Retroarch on Android and Retroarch on Windows. I can see it being a cool feature though.

Running a GPD XD Original, with legacy ROM, but it's only running KitKat. Looks like Launchbox needs Marshmallow as a minimum? Any chance you will introduce backwards compatibility or do I need to go and buy a GPD XD+?

Tried the app on my S105G, looks VERY promising!

1 hour ago, KiLeAk said:

Running a GPD XD Original, with legacy ROM, but it's only running KitKat. Looks like Launchbox needs Marshmallow as a minimum? Any chance you will introduce backwards compatibility or do I need to go and buy a GPD XD+?

Tried the app on my S105G, looks VERY promising!

I will take a look, but as I don't have any devices with an Android version that old to test on, I'm honestly doubtful. Google is discouraging support for versions that old at this point.

58 minutes ago, TRS1977 said:

Crashing on launch,Nvidia shield. Works on Sony xperia xz3 

Thanks; please let me know if the new version is working on your Shield. :)

sorry if this is the wrong area to post

small issue (not really a bug) is that it currently overwrites your previous .xml when you do another import. Simply making an Android playlist to sync should be a temporary fix for this minor inconvenience.

17 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I will take a look, but as I don't have any devices with an Android version that old to test on, I'm honestly doubtful. Google is discouraging support for versions that old at this point.

Thanks; please let me know if the new version is working on your Shield. :)

Still crashing on Nvidia shield. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It looks like the 0.8 update just now went live on the Play Store. For everyone who's seeing just a white screen or a crash on startup, please try this updated version and let me know if it fixes it. :)

Sadly it did not fix for me. Launchbox android installed on the internal of Nvidia Shield TV (Removed all external drives) , I did a full uninstall, cleaned roms, did a new export on pc, installed launchbox android, copied over export folder and launched with same result. 

Edited by GonjaT
  • Like 2

Thanks for bearing with me guys, those of you who are experiencing crashes. I just submitted another new version to the Play Store, but if history repeats itself it'll be another 8 hours before it actually goes live (version 0.9).

I was able to reproduce one of the two crashes that I'm seeing coming through, and I believe I've got that one fixed. The other one unfortunately may still be there, but I'm hoping that it was related to the first. Time will tell. :)

Again, thanks for your patience guys and let me know whether it's fixed for you once 0.9 finally goes live.

10 minutes ago, jasonmcclure48 said:

I went to the google play store today to download launchbox for my gpd xd and it said it wasn’t compatible with my device.  Did I do something wrong, because I play all my retro games on it up to psp and I feel like it could handle it ok.  Thanks in advance for your reply.

I didn't realize that GPD XD devices were on such an old version of Android. Someone else told me that it was running Kit Kat, which is ancient at this point. I'm gonna do some research to see if I can easily support Kit Kat as well, but we'll see where that leads me.

1 hour ago, Nickkt said:

sorry if this is the wrong area to post

small issue (not really a bug) is that it currently overwrites your previous .xml when you do another import. Simply making an Android playlist to sync should be a temporary fix for this minor inconvenience.

Syncing may come in a later release, but it's not a simple thing to tackle. Currently, you can export entire platforms one at a time, but if you export a platform that you already have it will overwrite anything that was previously there for that platform.

Just now, Skidda420 said:

so I have successfully launched it from my samsung s9 where i was getting a white screen and crash before, i will retest on nvidia shield in a bit and post results

I am still seeing something really weird where only my Shield TV is crashing on the first launch, after accepting permissions. So I think we do still have a crash there, but I think it's only in that situation. If you close the app and restart it, it should work. I'm currently working on fixing that issue though, so I'll have another release up soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1