LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android 0.6 Beta Released!

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, Soxbrother said:

I have that option checked inside the update menu, but it didn't install any new version.

Probably have to download the beta version from somewhere else ?

If you have background downloads on just wait, it will prompt when its downloaded and ready to install.

Just now, neil9000 said:

Well im glad its working now. Obviously this is beta for a reason :) so i guess there are some kinks to work out still. The thing with sotware is you can do all the testing in the world, but once you rlease to the masses issues crop up that were never there when testing by a individual.

Indeed, and it's nothing too surprising so I'm willing to test it out and report the bugs as I find them? To throw out another bug I noticed, the app crashes if you use the latest nightly version of retroarch (32 bit version)

Finally the program installed the 10.0 beta 3 version and I have exported to Android, but now I'm stuck.

First manually copied the Launchbox folder to my SD card, that did nothing.

Then I've copied the folder to my internal storage, again nothing inside the Android app.

The only thing that's inside the app ( since the beginning ) is a line saying

"Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google,...."

and when I choose that it displays the logo from my Dolphin emulator

(my Dolphin emulator isn't at all present in my Launchbox program for the moment,

so I don't know how it got inside the Launchbox app.

update: instead of copying the "Launchbox" folder to the root of the sd card or internal memory

(this doesn't work at all)

You go into the "Android Export" folder and instead of copying just only the Launchbox folder to your internal memory (on sd card it didn't work )

you have to copy the "Android" folder to your internal storage.

It is going to say that the folder already exists, but you're going to continue regardless.

After that start Launchbox and your systems and boxart should appear.

Now I hope this is someday going to work from the sd card as well

Edited by Soxbrother

6 hours ago, Pholco said:

I don't have the "export to Android" feature(free version) ?

You'll need the latest beta version of the desktop application.

5 hours ago, Akis said:

I cannot find it on my GPD XD playstore while it shows on my mobile. Anyone might know why?

Does it work if you use the direct link from the forums here on your GPD XD?

5 hours ago, STAINLESS said:

Did i spell it wrong?

Galaxy S9 Aussie Play Store

Screenshot_20190824-193825_Google Play Store.jpg

As far as I know, searching does not work because the app is still in beta. You have to use the link provided and then click the second link to the listing once you opt in.

4 hours ago, bundangdon said:

@Jason Carr Should we report any bugs or issues here? It's probably expected, but I've already found a few of them? When I copy the exported contents to my SD card, LaunchBox doesn't seem to recognize them. Also, it doesn't recognize the 64 bit version of retroarch, and when I tried to launch a game with 2600.emu the app crashes. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8+

Yes, please report issues here. Please let me know the exact path of the "LaunchBox" folder on your SD card. Have you tried exporting to internal memory? Does it work there? Good to know on the issues. I'm sure we'll have a fair number of them as we test various emulators and various devices.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

You'll need the latest beta version of the desktop application.

Does it work if you use the direct link from the forums here on your GPD XD?

As far as I know, searching does not work because the app is still in beta. You have to use the link provided and then click the second link to the listing once you opt in.

Yes, please report issues here. Please let me know the exact path of the "LaunchBox" folder on your SD card. Have you tried exporting to internal memory? Does it work there? Good to know on the issues. I'm sure we'll have a fair number of them as we test various emulators and various devices.

Yep! As I mentioned to Neil before, the problem with the SD card was solved when I moved the LaunchBox app to the SD card (within Android's system settings). However, there's a lot of issues with emulators. For example, Robert Broglia's emulators (2600.emu, nes.emu, etc.) are not working, the nightly-latest versions of retroarch and the 64 bit version of retroarch aren't recognized. I'll do my best to help with the best testing though?

47 minutes ago, Nickkt said:

Bug on my Galaxy S8

going from options back to platforms crashes app

only showing android under platforms but i have confirmed that launchBox moved 2 platforms over to my phone

If you change the language, it is supposed to restart in that situation. How exactly did it crash?

13 minutes ago, Soxbrother said:

update: instead of copying the "Launchbox" folder to the root of the sd card or internal memory

(this doesn't work at all)

You go into the "Android Export" folder and instead of copying just only the Launchbox folder to your internal memory (on sd card it didn't work )

you have to copy the "Android" folder to your internal storage.

It is going to say that the folder already exists, but you're going to continue regardless.

After that start Launchbox and your systems and boxart should appear.

Now I hope this is someday going to work from the sd card as well

Yes, it is important that things go over to the SD card or internal memory in the correct folder. This is unfortunately due to Android permissions issues which can be a real pain. In my testing, I've been able to use SD cards on various devices without problems, but the folder structure has to be correct. It always has to be /Android/data/com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox/files/LaunchBox, which is why that folder structure is created for you in the exporter.

7 minutes ago, Pholco said:

Purchased, but when i try to convert to my games to Android, it say: Mame not recommended and something with Retroarch

MAME will be supported eventually, but it's very tricky because you can't just export your desktop MAME ROMs. On Android, most versions of MAME only work with really old MAME sets.

5 minutes ago, Soxbrother said:

Any idea how to exit a game back to the Launchbox app ?

Unfortunately it depends on the emulator. Retroarch can be a real pain to exit. ETA Prime has been researching this stuff though and he'll have a tutorial out soon. The answer depends on whether you're using a controller or not.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

If you change the language, it is supposed to restart in that situation. How exactly did it crash?

Yes, it is important that things go over to the SD card or internal memory in the correct folder. This is unfortunately due to Android permissions issues which can be a real pain. In my testing, I've been able to use SD cards on various devices without problems, but the folder structure has to be correct. It always has to be /Android/data/com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox/files/LaunchBox, which is why that folder structure is created for you in the exporter.

MAME will be supported eventually, but it's very tricky because you can't just export your desktop MAME ROMs. On Android, most versions of MAME only work with really old MAME sets.

Thank god i use an old rom set then :)

3 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Yep! As I mentioned to Neil before, the problem with the SD card was solved when I moved the LaunchBox app to the SD card (within Android's system settings). However, there's a lot of issues with emulators. For example, Robert Broglia's emulators (2600.emu, nes.emu, etc.) are not working, the nightly-latest versions of retroarch and the 64 bit version of retroarch aren't recognized. I'll do my best to help with the best testing though?

I'm honestly not too surprised about those emulators as I haven't fully tested them. Retroarch does surprise me though; I hope they didn't make major changes to the Android app in the nightly. Is Retroarch 64-bit available on the Play Store?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately it depends on the emulator. Retroarch can be a real pain to exit. ETA Prime has been researching this stuff though and he'll have a tutorial out soon. The answer depends on whether you're using a controller or not.

You can just use the multitasking button i expect to close the emulator like any other app on Android.

Just now, neil9000 said:

You can just use the multitasking button i expect to close the emulator like any other app on Android.

Correct. If you're using touch, that's probably your best bet. The trick though is that you'll also have to close the emulator in order to start a different game in that emulator.

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm honestly not too surprised about those emulators as I haven't fully tested them. Retroarch does surprise me though; I hope they didn't make major changes to the Android app in the nightly. Is Retroarch 64-bit available on the Play Store?

No worries, I can live without the nightly versions for a while, but it would certainly be nice to use the 64 bit version, which can be downloaded on their website and on the Play Store