LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android 0.6 Beta Released!

Jason Carr

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm currently just trusting Google to do its best converting everything to $5 USD. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but there's unfortunately too much to worry about for me to handle all the exchange rates.

I completely understand, like I said I dont think its a problem and certainly wont stop me from buying it. I only mentioned it because the whole thing is a beta/in flux at the moment and I wasn't sure if it was something you needed to know.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Also try closing the app using the task switcher, and then restarting it. We may have an issue with the first run after approving permissions.

I just got a white screen on my phone after accepting permissions also. Switching to another app then back to Launchbox seemed to refresh it and showed me the Android platform.

• Like 1

I just submitted version 0.8 to the Play Store with a hopeful fix for the startup crashes. I've disabled the auto-parsing of Android games on startup, as I believe those to be the cause of the issues. The ironic thing is that I had rush-added that feature in order to get Google's approval to finally launch the app. I'll add that back in after some additional testing and development.

Eventually, I should be able to see details on the crashes via the Play Store's error reporting, but apparently it's delayed because I don't have any details on any crashes yet, so I can't yet dive in to fix things in more detail.

This new version may take a few hours to go live; I can never tell how long it's going to take. For those of you who are having issues with crashes on startup, please let me know if this new version fixes it. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Do you know if there is any way to have a device auto load into LB when powered on/brought out of sleep? Is it something that could be added to LB itself or do google not allow that? Since I only plan to use the tablet for LB it'd be nice not having to manually run it.

1 minute ago, spectral said:

Do you know if there is any way to have a device auto load into LB when powered on/brought out of sleep? Is it something that could be added to LB itself or do google not allow that? Since I only plan to use the tablet for LB it'd be nice not having to manually run it.

You would just have to leave the app open when you sleep it. As for it auto loading at boot i dont think that is possible on Android.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spectral said:

Actually.

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/98276/open-an-app-on-startup-after-booting

• Like 1

Thanks, I thought that was probably the case. Its a shame as it would be nice to be able to have them boot up right to the front end the same as PI does for retropie.

Edit, Thanks I'll have a mess and see if I can get that working. I have an old HUDL 2 tablet I no longer use for anything else so am thinking while not a power house by any stretch it should be at least as good as a Pi with RP. But with the added bonus on having LB on instead.

Edited by spectral

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, it is important that things go over to the SD card or internal memory in the correct folder. This is unfortunately due to Android permissions issues which can be a real pain. In my testing, I've been able to use SD cards on various devices without problems, but the folder structure has to be correct. It always has to be /Android/data/com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox/files/LaunchBox, which is why that folder structure is created for you in the exporter.

When you choose to manually export the package, on the next screen you get this message :

The export package folder will contain a folder names "LaunchBox".
Simply copy this LaunchBox folder over to the root of your Android
device's internal or SD card storage.

This is clearly not the way you should be doing it at all.

You should copy the whole Android folder, not just the "LaunchBox" folder.

Off course you could copy only the LaunchBox folder, but then it still wouldn't be placed in the root of your device.

The "LaunchBox folder, should go inside Android->data->com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox->files, like you said.

So maybe in the next beta of the windows version, this text could be altered.

18 minutes ago, Soxbrother said:

When you choose to manually export the package, on the next screen you get this message :

The export package folder will contain a folder names "LaunchBox".
Simply copy this LaunchBox folder over to the root of your Android
device's internal or SD card storage.

This is clearly not the way you should be doing it at all.

You should copy the whole Android folder, not just the "LaunchBox" folder.

Off course you could copy only the LaunchBox folder, but then it still wouldn't be placed in the root of your device.

The "LaunchBox folder, should go inside Android->data->com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox->files, like you said.

So maybe in the next beta of the windows version, this text could be altered.

Ah, thank you for pointing that out. That text was a relic of a previous version. I'll change it up for the next Windows beta.

I've managed to get it working from my SD card, by copying the app to my SD card from within Android Settings.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't forget to copy the "LaunchBox" folder from the internal storage to your SD card ( in the right location, you know where !! ) !!!!!!!!!!!

(this is because the settings app only copies the app over to the SD card, not our LaunchBox package)

Don't forget to delete the LaunchBox folder from your internal storage after you've copied it over to your SD card,

otherwise you have 2 packages in 2 locations, we don't want that do we ? LOL

After a new installation of the Android app :

Step 1 : Move the app to your SD card from within the Android settings app

Step 2 : Create your package from within the windows app of Launchbox

Step 3 : Copy the newly created "Android" folder on your pc to the root of your SD Card

When it says the folder already exist, just continue, don't worry about that.

Step 4 : Start LaunchBox on Android and enjoy !!!

Edited by Soxbrother

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, that's strange. I have a Shield TV that I've been using for testing, and haven't run into that. I should get crash reports here soon from the play store though; hopefully that will help to identify whatever the issue is.

you have to press the remote and get the menu button will appear. the menu's are hidden when you launch on shieldtv

I don't know if only i have this problem, but for some reason, i can't export all my NES games.. It only exports 3 of them and ignores the rest (136 games)... And it always export the same game.

I can export all games from every platform except NES. And they all have the same format (.zip)

A feature I would like to request in the future is the ability to save games on the cloud, or even sync saves to my pc then to a new device for when I switch. For example, play on a bus using phone, go to work, continue playing on the bus home, get home, press a button to sync saves, fire up my shield TV and resume saves, now whether it's just the press of a button on both devices to send and receive Idc lol I could even connect phone to pc, open launchbox and click a button there as it's on the same network as my shield. This is one of the best things that retrox has but the need to be online all the time pushed me away. Thanks. 

It's probably a lot of work but thank you for everything you do Jason and the team! 

44 minutes ago, dirtybeagles said:

you have to press the remote and get the menu button will appear. the menu's are hidden when you launch on shieldtv

Doesn't work for me as it goes to white screen then crashes approx 1 sec after.