LaunchBox Community Forums

10.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

3 hours ago, daniel91 said:

@Jason Carr The background blur kills the performance on my machine. Would it be possible to have it not blur the background by default? Since, you know, free users can't modify the default theme.

The previous theme is still available if you prefer to use that, which is more than has been offered to free users in the past. Usually any customization of that sort has been a premium only feature, now you have a choice, the same theme you have always used, or a more fancy new one that takes more resources to run.

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

The previous theme is still available if you prefer to use that, which is more than has been offered to free users in the past. Usually any customization of that sort has been a premium only feature, now you have a choice, the same theme you have always used, or a more fancy new one that takes more resources to run.

Free users can't currently change to the old default theme. Hasn't been an issue as of yet, but if it is we might have to come up with a solution for that.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Free users can't currently change to the old default theme. Hasn't been an issue as of yet, but if it is we might have to come up with a solution for that.

Oh my bad, i could of swore i read that in here somewhere. I cant speak for other users but i certainly noticed a performance hit, even on my relatively decent system when you added it, going into tools/options, or even just clicking on games and waiting for the game details bar to populate was slower than it used to be. I played with it for a day or so and returned to the plex theme. That was on a ryzen 7 1700x with 16gb of ddr4 at 3000mhz and a gtx 1060. I have since upgraded my PC so cant compare exactly now with newer betas as my hardware is much stronger now, but l will take a look in the morning at the new default theme again. 

In some ways I can understand, but I thought this is more about testing to see what seems to work and not work for some. I too am not a fan of the background blur, and wanna easily be able to do the new theme without it. I know I'm probably one of very few here who have like no knowledge in reading code or anything like that to go in and properly disable that blur because it seemed no matter what I did to even replace it with an old file it still would start up with a blur. I don't know how many like the blur vs not cool with the blur, but I really wish we could find some common ground on this since the new theme looks better than the previous other than the blur. I would really like to see it be an option you can turn on and off so all can be happy without the hassle

On 1/5/2020 at 8:17 AM, daniel91 said:

@Jason Carr The background blur kills the performance on my machine. Would it be possible to have it not blur the background by default? Since, you know, free users can't modify the default theme.

The background blur does not affect performance. It's the rounded corners and shadows that affect scrolling performance.

16 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Oh my bad, i could of swore i read that in here somewhere. I cant speak for other users but i certainly noticed a performance hit, even on my relatively decent system when you added it, going into tools/options, or even just clicking on games and waiting for the game details bar to populate was slower than it used to be. I played with it for a day or so and returned to the plex theme. That was on a ryzen 7 1700x with 16gb of ddr4 at 3000mhz and a gtx 1060. I have since upgraded my PC so cant compare exactly now with newer betas as my hardware is much stronger now, but l will take a look in the morning at the new default theme again. 

As far as I'm aware, there are no changes that should affect performance outside of scrolling the boxes. Performance is always a tough thing to measure though, so it was probably just something else affecting the performance.

14 hours ago, RULLUR said:

In some ways I can understand, but I thought this is more about testing to see what seems to work and not work for some. I too am not a fan of the background blur, and wanna easily be able to do the new theme without it. I know I'm probably one of very few here who have like no knowledge in reading code or anything like that to go in and properly disable that blur because it seemed no matter what I did to even replace it with an old file it still would start up with a blur. I don't know how many like the blur vs not cool with the blur, but I really wish we could find some common ground on this since the new theme looks better than the previous other than the blur. I would really like to see it be an option you can turn on and off so all can be happy without the hassle

Most likely there will be a custom theme made and shared soon after the release that will remove the blur.

I wanted to release today, but I'm currently on the fence about whether to hold off and somehow provide an option for free users to use the old theme (mainly for performance reasons), or to just go ahead and release it. I know some people can be really, really picky about stuff like this. Unfortunately I may have to delay the release.

• Like 2

Beta 7 is out now, which lets free users switch to the old default theme. I'm planning on putting out the official release tomorrow morning. I don't like making changes this close to release, but I didn't feel like I had much of a choice. Any testing you guys can do would be very much appreciated.

• Like 3

Hi. Just loaded the official release and I do very much like the new theme. One quibble/question though: What should I do to make dynamic resizing change relative size between very asymmetrical box-art?

Two examples:

1. Wii has Epic Mickey 1 and 2. The box art for the latter appears smaller than the former. I'd like to edit that so they're sized precisely the same as one another.

2. The SNES section has some Super Famicom translated titles with SF vertically oriented box art. The dynamic resizing renders the Famicom boxes much larger than the SNES boxes. I'd like to get the Famicom boxes a bit smaller so that they don't appear to be disproportionately larger.

Would this involve resizing the images down? Is that the way the dynamic size algorithm works?

SNES-BB.png

Edited by Bedwyr

26 minutes ago, Bedwyr said:

Hi. Just loaded the official release and I do very much like the new theme. One quibble/question though: What should I do to make dynamic resizing change relative size between very asymmetrical box-art?

Two examples:

1. Wii has Epic Mickey 1 and 2. The box art for the latter appears smaller than the former. I'd like to edit that so they're sized precisely the same as one another.

2. The SNES section has some Super Famicom translated titles with SF vertically oriented box art. The dynamic resizing renders the Famicom boxes much larger than the SNES boxes. I'd like to get the Famicom boxes a bit smaller so that they don't appear to be disproportionately larger.

Would this involve resizing the images down? Is that the way the dynamic size algorithm works?

SNES-BB.png

The dynamic resizing just makes everything the same width, and adjusts the height spacing based on what's needed. In the future, we may allow you to change the width via the slider on a per-platform basis, which I'm guessing is what you're requesting here.

That might be a nice feature for sure, but the way these are grouped are unique and I wasn't asking for a feature change, just clarification. They're translations grouped with SNES, not as two separate platforms. I was planning to scale all box art down manually for Super Famicom titles in GIMP. Knowing that your system renders for equal width means that I'll be image editing the right thing.

Having weird issues with 10.8 on Big Box: logos, box art, cart art, etc. are showing up in addition to the art work that's selected to show up (cabinets for arcade games, 3-D boxes for most everything else). The additional art shouldn't be there and I can't get it to go away -- including following a PC restart. I'm running a mostly stock version of Neon Deluxe Arcade, with the additions of a trio of platform categories for consoles, and several playlists for the arcade. Just before I updated to 8.1, everything was fine. 

Also, since I'm posting ... my Big Box launch has slowed dramatically within the last few weeks. Even after the start-up video plays, the Big Box main screen still takes a minute or longer to appear. I have about 13,000 games across approximately 45 systems, but that's never been an issue until recently. The last thing I did before the slow down was change the start-up video to increase Big Box's load-up speed, and it hasn't been right since. I've tried going back to the original video, going without a video, selecting different videos -- all to no avail. 

I suspect both of these issues are user error, and will be easily remedied. 

FYI: I'm running an Intel i5-3470 3.2ghz, 8gb RAM with a 1TB SSD. As I said, I haven't had any issues until a few weeks ago.

Thanks for any and all help!

4 minutes ago, krofftsuperstar said:

Having weird issues with 10.8 on Big Box: logos, box art, cart art, etc. are showing up in addition to the art work that's selected to show up (cabinets for arcade games, 3-D boxes for most everything else). The additional art shouldn't be there and I can't get it to go away -- including following a PC restart. I'm running a mostly stock version of Neon Deluxe Arcade, with the additions of a trio of platform categories for consoles, and several playlists for the arcade. Just before I updated to 8.1, everything was fine. 

Also, since I'm posting ... my Big Box launch has slowed dramatically within the last few weeks. Even after the start-up video plays, the Big Box main screen still takes a minute or longer to appear. I have about 13,000 games across approximately 45 systems, but that's never been an issue until recently. The last thing I did before the slow down was change the start-up video to increase Big Box's load-up speed, and it hasn't been right since. I've tried going back to the original video, going without a video, selecting different videos -- all to no avail. 

I suspect both of these issues are user error, and will be easily remedied. 

FYI: I'm running an Intel i5-3470 3.2ghz, 8gb RAM with a 1TB SSD. As I said, I haven't had any issues until a few weeks ago.

Thanks for any and all help!

Hmm, can you by chance give us a screenshot of what you're seeing in Big Box? That might help to determine exactly what's going on. If I had to take a stab in the dark, I would say that it's likely being caused by a conflicting app or a broken driver update, so you can try closing any background apps first to see if that helps, and perhaps check for driver updates.

4 minutes ago, krofftsuperstar said:

Here's an image from the Atari 2600 ... you can see that part of the logo is visible in the bottom-left corner, which is where all of my artwork is displayed.

Annotation 2020-01-07 200251.png

That theme is supposed to show carts/discs at the bottom there where you have a clear logo. Have you checked your Cart-front priority settings in launchbox?

• Like 1