LaunchBox Community Forums

10.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

LaunchBox uses string comparison to rank titles so as @neil9000 stated you WILL need to append a 0 for double digit sorting. We do not attempt to parse integers out of the file name for sorting purposes as it creates a lot of overhead that isn't really needed.

If you want to keep the name displayed without the extra 0's you can enter the title with those in the sort title field of on the edit screen and they will then sort as desired.

Thanks @Beatlemaniac19, I'll check on that. I think I remember that issue from a long time ago, but it may not be an easy one to solve, if I recall correctly.

Per the number sorting, somewhere around the release of Vista, Microsoft introduced a much more complicated sorting algorithm that does sort entire numbers instead of just characters. I agree that it would be an improvement (though it's an irritatingly difficult thing to tackle). I can't say it's a high priority, but I will add it to my list.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 7:13 PM, RULLUR said:

Anyone else still having issues getting info to sync over from Wikipedia? I noticed it kinda stopped syncing up once they started their yearly beg for donations stuff, but even when it seems all that is gone from their site it still gives an error

It's possible there's an issue there. Wikipedia hasn't been recommended to use for ages, so maybe it's time we remove it?

• Like 3

Beta 5 is out now with the following:

• New link to the retroachievements.org game details in the LaunchBox game details sidebar (globe icon)
  • The game achievements popup in Big Box now shows the retroachievements.org game details web page in a new tab

That's about it. We're working on some other things, but most likely they'll make it into the next official release, instead of this one (we've also been off for the holidays recently). Currently planning on putting out the next official release here very soon (probably beginning of next week).

• Like 10

On 12/16/2019 at 3:03 PM, Jason Carr said:

Beta 3 is out now with the following:

• New Feature: Your retroachievements.org profile with recent activity and a global leaderboard are now available in both LaunchBox and Big Box from the main menus

• New Feature: Your retroachievements.org "Retro Score" is now available from the LaunchBox interface on the top next to the drop downs; clicking it will also show your profile and the global leaderboard

• New Feature: You can now view your retroachievements.org score of a given game in the game details sidebar; can be hidden for premium users in Options

• Improvement: Processes that bring up the progress bar in LaunchBox now will also show progress in the task bar icon as well

• Improvement: A new HD 1080p version of viking's Colorful 4K video set is now available under Tools > Download Platform/Playlist Theme Videos (Colorful HD); many thanks to viking!
  • Fixed: Corrected an issue where some actions that should not be available while locked would still function if fired from a controller (introduced in 10.7)

Per retroachievements.org, we have plans to add game-specific leaderboards yet, but then that will complete our immediate plans (and finish up the item from the poll). We've had conversations with the retroachievements.org team, and there is a lot of cool stuff planned, but for the moment, this is pretty much everything we can do until they push forward with their new API and other new features.

Loving the new achievement profile! A couple questions:

1. For games with longer titles, it looks like the “% Complete” text gets cut off in BigBox. This isn’t an issue in Launchbox 

2. Is it possible to have an “Expand/Collapse” style feature for each game? You can only see the most recent achievements earned, instead of all earned for a particular game. Unless you click the link and view the website.

3. Is there a way to make all games for which you’ve earned achievements visible? Or is it limited to just the last 5 played? This may be a limitation from the retroachievements site, but figured I’d ask, as being able to see all games I’ve played would be the one key feature that’s missing, IMO  

All around awesome improvement. Can’t wait to see how Retro Achievements and LB/BB continue to work together in the future! 

Edited by qzizzleferreal

I'm having trouble doing an Error Report. so I'll just post what I can here. It seemed to have happened after I launched the XBOX One App through BigBox. Once I closed the XBOX One App I was unable to use any of the controllers, but was only able to use the keyboard in it, but can't seem to Exit when I go to it though:

image.thumb.png.9a848a127cf2344d25c5ac0d642ecf15.png

On 1/1/2020 at 8:22 AM, qzizzleferreal said:

Loving the new achievement profile! A couple questions:

1. For games with longer titles, it looks like the “% Complete” text gets cut off in BigBox. This isn’t an issue in Launchbox 

2. Is it possible to have an “Expand/Collapse” style feature for each game? You can only see the most recent achievements earned, instead of all earned for a particular game. Unless you click the link and view the website.

3. Is there a way to make all games for which you’ve earned achievements visible? Or is it limited to just the last 5 played? This may be a limitation from the retroachievements site, but figured I’d ask, as being able to see all games I’ve played would be the one key feature that’s missing, IMO  

All around awesome improvement. Can’t wait to see how Retro Achievements and LB/BB continue to work together in the future! 

Per #2 and #3, we're limited currently based on what we have available with the API, so those aren't currently possible. Per #1, I'll look to see if we can get that fixed before the official release.

14 hours ago, RULLUR said:

I'm having trouble doing an Error Report. so I'll just post what I can here. It seemed to have happened after I launched the XBOX One App through BigBox. Once I closed the XBOX One App I was unable to use any of the controllers, but was only able to use the keyboard in it, but can't seem to Exit when I go to it though:

image.thumb.png.9a848a127cf2344d25c5ac0d642ecf15.png

Unfortunately I'm missing the most crucial pieces of information from that stack trace (cut off on the right). I should have it available on the server though, so I'll take a look.

17 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Per #2 and #3, we're limited currently based on what we have available with the API, so those aren't currently possible. Per #1, I'll look to see if we can get that fixed before the official release.

Unfortunately I'm missing the most crucial pieces of information from that stack trace (cut off on the right). I should have it available on the server though, so I'll take a look.

Gonna throw this out there as its a windows app, could it be the issue i have run into with Launchbox not knowing the app is closed and taking the key set for pause during normal windows use if launchbox is still open?

17 hours ago, TheNewClassics said:

Hey guys, when checking the RetroAchievements leaderboard in BB, is it supposed to page down when scrolling down? I can move the cursor down and I hear the sound, but the list itself doesn't scroll. Wasn't sure if it was designed that way.

Are you having issues where the 10 items aren't all appearing on the leaderboard at the same time?

On 1/1/2020 at 11:22 AM, qzizzleferreal said:

What game were you seeing this for and what screen resolution are you running? I pulled up your profile on mine and saw you do have some long labels but can't get anything to cut off.

10 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

What game were you seeing this for and what screen resolution are you running? I pulled up your profile on mine and saw you do have some long labels but can't get anything to cut off.

I don't have it in front of me right now, but I definitely noticed with the N64 Zelda games. I'm playing on a GPD Win 2, which maxes out at 720p. However, there are no other display issues I see with BigBox, even on the small 6" screen.

1 minute ago, qzizzleferreal said:

I don't have it in front of me right now, but I definitely noticed with the N64 Zelda games. I'm playing on a GPD Win 2, which maxes out at 720p. However, there are no other display issues I see with BigBox, even on the small 6" screen.

Yeah, some of the titles in your recent activity are quite long, I believe you saw it, isn't something some one would/could make up. Was curious if the aspect ratio or DPI was playing a factor in it or not, which is why I asked.

8 minutes ago, TheNewClassics said:

More or less. I page over to the leaderboard in Big Box, and it just shows the first 7 names. It doesn't scroll down when you move down the list. 

Sounds like that is the issue. In our testing of various screen ratios/resolutions we never had the leaderboard NOT display all 10 before.

What screen ratio/resolution are you running?

39 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Could you post a screen shot of your leaderboard? Not sure I understand at this point why you wouldn't be able to draw all 10 on screen. Do you have any scaling turned on in windows?

With 4K, you pretty much have to have scaling turned on, so that's likely the issue.