LaunchBox Community Forums

10.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

For some of us who don't really know how to code I still wonder when we can see the option to turn off the background blur. I haven't ran into much issues as of yet, but for anything at the moment with the Beta I'm kinda blaming my Laptop for some of the slow and crashing stuff unless anyone else says they too have experienced it

4 hours ago, klepp0906 said:

yes this happens to me fairly often.   it seems to keep previous entries selected a bit more robustly than it used to. 

I'm hoping this new version resolves that issue. Let me know if you're still seeing it.

2 hours ago, GreenGriffon said:

Thanks @neil9000.

I guess I completely missed the part where we somehow went from, "Sure, I can easily add that option" to "Nope, not going to do it" ?

I made clear from the beginning that I would tackling an option to show text on all the boxes, but that I did not want to tackle putting text below the boxes for this particular theme. I never changed my plans or the words that I stated. We really don't need this passive aggressive crap here on the forums. You have multiple options if you want that.

1 hour ago, MadK9 said:

i noticed with the new theme in regard to clear logos, If the logo is small when you select the game the text overlay swamps the logo completely.

unknown.pngunknown.png

I guess this would be more of an issue with other language logos, where you would want to see the name.

Just pointing this out, i personally have no issue with it, but thought i would mention it.

Just adding to this, When you hover over a game the box with the options comes up then the game tooltip goes over the top of that. Not sure there is a way to fix that though

image.png.33bc6f288a6cf0bffd76f3bc2aff6281.png

Yeah, the clear logo thing is a known issue. I suppose what we could do there is just not show the text for clear logos, since the text should be pretty easy to read in the image anyways. The tooltip is by design, though it also definitely works better with other types of images.

11 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

For some of us who don't really know how to code I still wonder when we can see the option to turn off the background blur. I haven't ran into much issues as of yet, but for anything at the moment with the Beta I'm kinda blaming my Laptop for some of the slow and crashing stuff unless anyone else says they too have experienced it

You can turn off the background blur just by removing the <Image.Effect> section from ContentBackgroundView.xaml.

It is possible that the new theme is slightly less performant on older systems, but stability really shouldn't be any different than previous versions.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm hoping this new version resolves that issue. Let me know if you're still seeing it.

Of course, will do.  

Im sure you probably saw, but since you didnt mention it - I feel compelled to re-ask.   Any chance you plan on incorporating these guys? 
image.thumb.png.b8b7577ccdd165285b727d025bbf51e6.png
I like having my titles centered as opposed to justified left.

Another cool option would be the ability to display the titles on mouseover instead of requiring selection since theyre now posited over the covers themselves.  This way you can keep the clean look of the new theme, but still see the title a bit easier opposed to potentially having to select.

As always, thanks for the amazing work :)

Edited by klepp0906

1 hour ago, klepp0906 said:

Another cool option would be the ability to display the titles on mouseover instead of requiring selection since theyre now posited over the covers themselves.  This way you can keep the clean look of the new theme, but still see the title a bit easier opposed to potentially having to select.

The game titles do appear on mouse over. Shows up centered over the cover. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Retro808 said:

The game titles do appear on mouse over. Shows up centered over the cover. 

Interesting!  Thank you for mentioning this.  I was just about to say my install is broke then.   Even though this isnt exactly what i meant, I didnt know it existed nonetheless.

it appears that in order for the titles to begin showing on mouseover, you have to keep the first game you mouseover moused-over for a few seconds until it pops up, after that the rest are instantaneous.

i never stayed over the initial title long enough without selecting it or moving on for this to appear.  

Though these are more like tooltips.   I was thinking  the black overlays at the bottom.   Still the aforementioned settings seem to have no bearing on the tooltips.  (since theyre centered already thats irrelevant) but id love to have control over centering the text within the black bottom overlay or even optionally omitting its display alltogether now that i know about these tooltips.   (i dislike redundancy ;P)

Apart from personal tastes, its likely going to cause issues having settings that have no affect on one theme but do on another.   I imagine its going to be unavoidable in some cases, but probably best if it can be limited.   People wont know if theyre bugged,  if its their personal install being corrupt, or if they misunderstand the setting all together.  The end result will be forum posts, and support inquiries.

Perhaps having only the relevant settings show based on which theme you have selected.  Unsure how much work that would be.

Just some thoughts. 

Edited by klepp0906

So I overall like the new default theme (just updated to 10.8 beta to get out of the video download bug in 10.7), but have one minorish complaint: Can we get an option to center the boxes vertically on each row if there are different size boxes?

For example I prefer using the "Front Box Cover" view but have LB to fallback to screenshots and some other entries if there is none. I would prefer this to look roughly like the following:

Centered.png

Edited by oblivioncth

After updating to the latest beta, all of my box front images were removed.  This is on every game on every platform.  If I edit any given game, it simply knows nothing about the box front images that were previously saved. 

Any ideas?  The other images (3D boxes, screenshots, etc) all remain but all box fronts have been forgotten.  My "Box - Front" folders are all still populated with correct image files.

3 minutes ago, donarumo said:

After updating to the latest beta, all of my box front images were removed.  This is on every game on every platform.  If I edit any given game, it simply knows nothing about the box front images that were previously saved. 

Any ideas?  The other images (3D boxes, screenshots, etc) all remain but all box fronts have been forgotten.  My "Box - Front" folders are all still populated with correct image files.

I would check your priorities for box-front in the options, i am also on beta 2 and box-fronts showed just fine for me when i just switched to them to check just now.

I don't think it's something being universally experienced but I can't determine what is causing it in my setup.

My priority settings seem fine, as in this shot.
https://i.imgur.com/ktOXcD4.jpg

When I say the box front is missing, I mean from every game.  As in this screenshot, the saved box front is simply gone from every game on every platform, 
https://i.imgur.com/KSKG5WU.jpg

launchbox03.JPG

launchbox02.JPG

On 12/12/2019 at 10:01 AM, klepp0906 said:

Of course, will do.  

Im sure you probably saw, but since you didnt mention it - I feel compelled to re-ask.   Any chance you plan on incorporating these guys? 
image.thumb.png.b8b7577ccdd165285b727d025bbf51e6.png
I like having my titles centered as opposed to justified left.

I will probably make that center text option work properly in an upcoming beta here. However, the other two are not planned for this theme (I'll try and mark them as only for the old theme or something).

On 12/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, klepp0906 said:

Interesting!  Thank you for mentioning this.  I was just about to say my install is broke then.   Even though this isnt exactly what i meant, I didnt know it existed nonetheless.

it appears that in order for the titles to begin showing on mouseover, you have to keep the first game you mouseover moused-over for a few seconds until it pops up, after that the rest are instantaneous.

i never stayed over the initial title long enough without selecting it or moving on for this to appear.  

Though these are more like tooltips.   I was thinking  the black overlays at the bottom.   Still the aforementioned settings seem to have no bearing on the tooltips.  (since theyre centered already thats irrelevant) but id love to have control over centering the text within the black bottom overlay or even optionally omitting its display alltogether now that i know about these tooltips.   (i dislike redundancy ;P)

Apart from personal tastes, its likely going to cause issues having settings that have no affect on one theme but do on another.   I imagine its going to be unavoidable in some cases, but probably best if it can be limited.   People wont know if theyre bugged,  if its their personal install being corrupt, or if they misunderstand the setting all together.  The end result will be forum posts, and support inquiries.

Perhaps having only the relevant settings show based on which theme you have selected.  Unsure how much work that would be.

Just some thoughts.

Yeah, it's not ideal having settings that only work with one theme, or even worse, a retired theme. Hopefully we can at least mark them as such, but I won't developing a system to hide and show settings based on the theme that is used any time soon, unfortunately.

On 12/13/2019 at 4:37 PM, oblivioncth said:

So I overall like the new default theme (just updated to 10.8 beta to get out of the video download bug in 10.7), but have one minorish complaint: Can we get an option to center the boxes vertically on each row if there are different size boxes?

For example I prefer using the "Front Box Cover" view but have LB to fallback to screenshots and some other entries if there is none. I would prefer this to look roughly like the following:

Centered.png

This would be rather easy to implement by tweaking the theme, but unfortunately I won't be doing that myself for the new theme.

7 hours ago, donarumo said:

5 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Can you try to go to the view menu and then select the "Refresh Missing Media" option (Ctrl-Shift-M) and tell me if they reappear?

Also try going to Tools > Refresh All Images. If you can though, do one thing at a time and let us know which thing fixes it, as we may have related bug.

Beta 3 is out now with the following:

• New Feature: Your retroachievements.org profile with recent activity and a global leaderboard are now available in both LaunchBox and Big Box from the main menus

• New Feature: Your retroachievements.org "Retro Score" is now available from the LaunchBox interface on the top next to the drop downs; clicking it will also show your profile and the global leaderboard

• New Feature: You can now view your retroachievements.org score of a given game in the game details sidebar; can be hidden for premium users in Options

• Improvement: Processes that bring up the progress bar in LaunchBox now will also show progress in the task bar icon as well

• Improvement: A new HD 1080p version of viking's Colorful 4K video set is now available under Tools > Download Platform/Playlist Theme Videos (Colorful HD); many thanks to viking!
  • Fixed: Corrected an issue where some actions that should not be available while locked would still function if fired from a controller (introduced in 10.7)

Per retroachievements.org, we have plans to add game-specific leaderboards yet, but then that will complete our immediate plans (and finish up the item from the poll). We've had conversations with the retroachievements.org team, and there is a lot of cool stuff planned, but for the moment, this is pretty much everything we can do until they push forward with their new API and other new features.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • The Cake is a Lie 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

FYI, we discovered that the new beta is breaking achievements on old themes (including the Old Default theme and other custom themes). We'll be fixing that with a new beta out tomorrow or so.

The new visual stuff that we've added (the "Retro Score" item at the top of the LaunchBox interface and the game-specific score in the game details) will not automatically be added to custom themes, so theme developers will need to manually add the XAML from the new default theme over to their themes to update them with those, if desired. However, as I stated, we will be fixing the issue with the achievements not working on the other themes, for all themes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Also try going to Tools > Refresh All Images. If you can though, do one thing at a time and let us know which thing fixes it, as we may have related bug.

Tried both refreshing missing media and refreshing all images (one at a time).  Unfortunately, neither addressed the issue, box fronts are still missing.  I did download a new box front for a game and it is being retained so the missing box front issue does appear to be from an "event" rather than a static problem, if that helps.

1 hour ago, donarumo said:

Tried both refreshing missing media and refreshing all images (one at a time).  Unfortunately, neither addressed the issue, box fronts are still missing.  I did download a new box front for a game and it is being retained so the missing box front issue does appear to be from an "event" rather than a static problem, if that helps.

Are they actually missing from the box front images folder? Just want to confirm if they in fact are missing or simply not being linked to the game. If images are still there can you confirm if the name of the image matches either the rom name or the name of the game exactly as it appears in Launchbox?

I had an issue where a metadata update changed the name of the game and a few images did not get linked because the name of the image and the game was now different. 

Hey, is anyone else having an issue where Viewing the Manual from the Pause screen is just giving a black screen and not loading? I've tried a couple different systems with the same result, though they are just different cores within RA. I'm on beta 3. Not sure if this has to do with upgrading. I'm still able to view the manual from within BB.

Edited by TheNewClassics