LaunchBox Community Forums

10.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

On 1/2/2020 at 1:26 PM, Jason Carr said:

Per #2 and #3, we're limited currently based on what we have available with the API, so those aren't currently possible. Per #1, I'll look to see if we can get that fixed before the official release.

Unfortunately I'm missing the most crucial pieces of information from that stack trace (cut off on the right). I should have it available on the server though, so I'll take a look.

I installed the official release last night and am still experiencing issues with scaling in the achievement profile view in BigBox. I attached a photo of it running on my GPD Win 2. As you can see, the info under recent activity is over-sized compared to the window. Is there something I should fix manually? I don't seem to have these issues with any other function within BigBox. Thanks!

unnamed.jpg

Hello

I just installed the new version as well and I too am experiencing major slow downs with the new theme, probably due to the fact that a lot more system resources are being used.  However, when i switch back to the original theme, everything run perfect (thanks for leaving this in).  I think this is something that definitely needs to be looked into.  

Also i agree, that with the SNES games, something needs to be done with the box sizes.  If you have Famicon games, combined with regular SNES games, the Famicon boxes, when resized, look way huge compared to the SNES boxes. This makes the overall layout look weird. 

My system:  2.4 ghz with 8gb of ram

Edited by Vader

So I've finally figured out the issues with the slow downs. I tested the old theme on 10 year old systems, and never had any performance issues with it, but they were all desktop computers with at least decent graphics cards. I'm noticing that on my laptop, which is 4K but does not have all that great of a video card, it's way more clunky than I've ever seen before. So it's obviously graphics-card or video memory related.

Furthermore, I've determined that the shadows on the boxes and the background blurring are causing the slowdowns. I'm a bit in disbelief that WPF would be optimized so poorly, especially with static blurred backgrounds, so my apologies that I didn't realize this sooner.

For now, I'm going to update the New Default Performance theme to disable the blurred backgrounds as well, which should bring the theme mostly up to the performance of the old default theme. Ultimately though, I'd like to improve the performance without resorting to removing those features, so I'm going to see if I can't make it happen another way.

• Like 4

Feels much smoother now, not quite at the same level it was before, but i expect to loose a little performance, but yes from my personal point of view this feels better. I was also having some population slow down in 10.8 but 10.9 seems to have fixed that somewhat as well.

• Like 1

The update didn't do much for me. Still a noticeable lag when scrolling up and down through games. I tried to install the updated theme, but could not get it to work. Perhaps because i don't have the premium revision of Launchbox. If there is another method to install the theme on a free version of Launchbox, please let me know.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

FYI, I also just updated the New Default Performance theme downloads with options for no shadows, no blurred backgrounds, or both:

Thank you Jason, thats nailed it for me pretty much, just added the Bad Old Monkey edits to it, and bingo. I know its not quite the vision you intended, but i really do appreciate your going the extra mile for this.

Something must be a bit wrong even with the "light" versions of the new theme

My system:

• Windows 10 Pro (Genuine and updated)
  • the new i3 9100f 3.6-4.2
  • Nvidia 750 Ti (latest drivers)
  • 16GB DDR4
  • Licensed Launchbox 10.9

I attach 2 screenshots on idle Launchbox.

1. Old Default Theme (GPU usage 0%)
  2. New Default No Shadows Theme - with Texts On (GPU usage spikes between 40% and 61%)

I am concerned because a launcher app must be light enough to launch heavier emulation apps BUT I trust that Jason will find the way to solve it as always does ;)

Edit: I highly suspect the Blurred Backround functionality

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by Wally

Jason uploaded a performance friendly theme with 3 options, one of which removes the blur and shadows here:

I think you can use them as a free user.

If you have a premium license you can try out one of my themes which are based off Jasons defaults but modified to my liking, https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/category/30-launchbox-custom-themes/

10.10-beta-1 is out now with the following:

• New Feature: Background blurring can now be fine tuned to any amount (or easily turned off) under Tools > Options > Visuals > Backgrounds. Background blurring options are also now available for all themes, including the old default theme.

• Improvement: Performance for the new default theme is now on par with the old default theme. We're using a completely new method to blur the backgrounds, since the old method was causing performance degradation.

• Improvement: Box shadows for the new default theme can be disabled under Tools > Options > Visuals > Boxes in order to improve performance on lowend systems

• Improvement: Numbers sections of titles will now be sorted numerically by default, instead of alphabetically. For example, the new logic will sort 1, 2, and 11 as 1, 2, 11 instead of the 1, 11, 2 order that was used previously.

• Fixed: In Big Box, the retro achievements game details web view can now be zoomed in and out with the proper bindings

We've also added the manifest to supposedly support long path names, but we haven't been able to test and confirm that it's working. If anyone can confirm either way on this, please let us know.

• Like 8
  • Game On 1

I'm getting an error with pulling up RetroAchievements in BigBox. I'm on the latest beta, at 4K resolution.

I copied the error below:

IBrowser instance is null. Browser has likely not finished initializing or is in the process of disposing.

App:     Big Box
Version: 10.10-beta-1
Type:    System.Exception
Site:    Void SetZoomLevel(CefSharp.IBrowser, Double)
Source:  CefSharp

at CefSharp.WebBrowserExtensions.SetZoomLevel(IBrowser cefBrowser, Double zoomLevel)
   at CefSharp.Wpf.ChromiumWebBrowser.OnZoomLevelChanged(Double oldValue, Double newValue)
   at CefSharp.Wpf.ChromiumWebBrowser.OnZoomLevelChanged(DependencyObject sender, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(EntryIndex entryIndex, DependencyProperty dp, PropertyMetadata metadata, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueCommon(DependencyProperty dp, Object value, PropertyMetadata metadata, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType, Boolean isInternal)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValue(DependencyProperty dp, Object value)
   at (AchievementsPopupViewModel )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.AchievementsPopupViewModel.ZoomOut()
   at (MainViewModel )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.<ProcessController>b__315_8()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (Action , DispatcherPriority )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.Invoke(DispatcherPriority priority, Action callback)
   at (MainViewModel )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.ProcessController()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Recent Log:

8:01:33 PM Music.Resume Start
   8:01:33 PM Music.Pause Start
   8:01:33 PM Music.Resume Start
   8:01:38 PM Music.Initialize Start
   8:01:38 PM Music.Kill Start
   8:01:38 PM Music.Kill Finished
   8:01:38 PM Music.Kill Start
   8:01:38 PM Music.Kill Finished
   8:01:40 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   8:01:40 PM Music.Kill Start
   8:01:40 PM Music.Kill Finished