LaunchBox Community Forums

The LaunchBox 2021 Community Poll

faeran

The 2021 LaunchBox Community Poll  

1,092 members have voted

The results of the poll will be posted after the poll is completed.

This poll is closed to new votes

My vote went to better RetroArch integration with Cores.  

I do not need LB to download cores for me (i wouldn't mind it, but i don't need it), but it would be REALLY nice if there was a autodetect button which cores are already installed and match them to the correct platforms, so i don't have to create a list of possibly over 100 cores and what systems they match manually, that is truly cumbersome and the names of those cores are anything but intuitive. That would be a massive time saver.  

I also have multiple copies of RetroArch installed as i always download and install the latest version to a fresh folder when i update one of my imported systems, just so i don't break an older RA config.  

2 hours ago, bmn001 said:

Please accept this write-in entry for "A Native Linux Port" :)

Yes please, may need soon!  
Got my Steam Deck reserved, and i'll add a 720p optimized Linux port into the pot, that thing screams for an emulation frontend, first to market is usually the winner, go go go! :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Archmage_R said:

Since we can only comment on what is on the list and not suggest better options.

I would like to say that if the "Suggested games/reccomended games" feature is implemented, I will stop using launchbox if it cannot be turned off.
There is nothing I hate more than having shit "suggested" to me, I can find my own groceries/games/magazines/movies/music/books whatever, I don't need to be suggested/shown ads/be told what to watch/play/do next. 

Sorry if I sound angry, but as someone suffering from concentration problems I have a natural hatred for every pop-up/blinking avatar/slider/useless extra bit of text/images that I am currently not interested in.

Every new feature we always build can be turned off. I can't remember the last time we forced a new feature on anyone. That said, we always reserve the right to put customization options behind the premium version.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Z3R0B4NG said:

My vote went to better RetroArch integration with Cores.  

I do not need LB to download cores for me (i wouldn't mind it, but i don't need it), but it would be REALLY nice if there was a autodetect button which cores are already installed and match them to the correct platforms, so i don't have to create a list of possibly over 100 cores and what systems they match manually, that is truly cumbersome and the names of those cores are anything but intuitive. That would be a massive time saver.  

I also have multiple copies of RetroArch installed as i always download and install the latest version to a fresh folder when i update one of my imported systems, just so i don't break an older RA config.  

Yes please, may need soon!  
Got my Steam Deck reserved, and i'll add a 720p optimized Linux port into the pot, that thing screams for an emulation frontend, first to market is usually the winner, go go go! :D

Just a quick clarification here; the Steam Deck will just as easily run Windows as it runs Linux. And when Valve says that it will play the "entire Steam library", they absolutely do not mean that it will play the entire Steam library on Linux.

it's a pity an "Update games meta/media  only if the LaunchboxDB for this game has been modified  since last game update" option is not in the plan :) That would save me so much bandwith and time updating the meta/media of my build. But i still appreciate, more than a year after buying BB that the developpement is always super active.

Edited by Elhora
  • Like 3

while

It's great to hear about the marquee options. Especially as my bitbucket request was such a 

failure ( hate bitbucket . apparently i also forgot to vote for my own request as well ) .ps tablet rocks as second screen

I do miss the old pre-poll developer chats with Jason  as I find it hard to  put my thoughts into text. Used to take  secondary

It text to get to a “i think i know what your trying to say”

Edited by drphobus

12 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Every new feature we always build can be turned off. I can't remember the last time we forced a new feature on anyone. That said, we always reserve the right to put customization options behind the premium version.

Good to know, got a bit scared to day when I updated and all of a sudden my platform categories view behaviour changed. (It started only showing theme videos, while before it only showed gameplay videos when set to random video). I do not like it when stuff is forced upon me.

I do have a lifetime subscription so that would not be a problem :)

Just now, Archmage_R said:

Good to know, got a bit scared to day when I updated and all of a sudden my platform categories view behaviour changed. (It started only showing theme videos, while before it only showed gameplay videos when set to random video). I do not like it when stuff is forced upon me.

Sure, 11.14 should have addressed this. Let me know if it hasn't. That was an accidental bug, not something we did on purpose. We actually pulled the 11.13 release over that temporarily until we put out 11.14.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Sure, 11.14 should have addressed this. Let me know if it hasn't. That was an accidental bug, not something we did on purpose. We actually pulled the 11.13 release over that temporarily until we put out 11.14.

It worked when I changed the priorities around after some help from people on the forum.

Will there ever be a possibility to change it so that it shows gameplay videos on the games view, but theme videos on the platform category view? Or is this too resource heavy/hard to implement?

Right now most of the theme videos are "too small" on game view, but perfect on the platform category random view. So I have opted to stop using theme videos for the time being, but it takes ages to delete em all ?

Edit: I just realised I am now asking about features not on the list, I did not mean to do that, I asked because it was relevant to the issue at hand. Hope that was ok?

Edited by Archmage_R

8 minutes ago, Archmage_R said:

Then turn off anything update related! Please d not, just assume a update did whatever your lazy persona said.

A feature I'd love to see is custom menu hierarchies. For example when starting Big Box I'd like to see the platform list, but have "handhelds" as it's own category.

Somewhat related, I'd like to be able to nest platforms together,  for example putting Sega CD and 32X as sub-options under "Genesis" instead of each a separate platform.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Then turn off anything update related! Please d not, just assume a update did whatever your lazy persona said.

There was nothing update related to turn off, it changed without rhyme or reason, nor was anything related to the issue I had stated in the changelogs.
So I did my research/googling before I asked on the forum.

When something works one way, and suddenly changes, when you did absolutely nothing, and there is nothing you can change to turn it back the way it was, It is not being lazy. (It was a bug btw, as Jason explained).

Had you read my previous posts  (which was lazy not to do) you would have understood this, do not project your lazy persona unto others.

Your post contributed absolutely nothing to an issue that was closed, only serving to bloat a topic which was supposed to be left unbloated. 

Edited by Archmage_R
  • Like 1

#5 has been on my wish list for years. JoeViking245 made an excellent program to support loading an app from the top level wheel, but it would be awesome to have this done natively so we didn't have to run his app after every theme update. Some solid looking things you guys want to tackle. Looking forward to seeing the results of the poll and the subsequent updates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

@Jason Carr Would you please do something about this guy. .Please tell me where his comment was justified this is just uncalled for as a moderator.

• Like 4

Launchbox is REEEEEEEEEEEEALLY starting to show its age... Especially when compared to GOG Galaxy and Playnite. We need a complete GUI overhaul A.S.A.P., It's good to see it's appearing on the poll. 

A while ago I installed the aforementioned two, just to see what they were like.. And man, going back to Launchbox felt like going back from Windows Vista to Windows XP: You know XP is absolutely better than Vista in every way, but boy does it feels crude.

Just bought another license as my way of showing support and loyalty. We trust ya, Jason & team ❤️

You compared GOG Galaxy and Launchbox, and I use them both (for modern vs retro games). The only difference is that rather than load the game details on the right-hand panel, GOG opens it on the main screen and has a back button to return to the previous screen. "a complete GUI overhaul" is uncalled for. The performance of GOG Galaxy is significantly faster - this could because of the way the assets are optimized and not a fault of the Launchbox as we provide the assets ourselves and these can vary in size... or because I have Launchbox/Bigbox hosted on the network, haha.

Edited by Kevin_Flynn

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Go home Neil, you're drunk.

No, but really, apparently he's drunk. Sorry y'all. I seriously hate putting up with this crap. But sometimes when you deal with volunteers, you get put between a rock and a hard place.

• Thanks 2

Wanna first thank you for the good work you do with Launchbox! 

With #7 Game time tracking, there's already a plugin called PlaytimeTracker that does this right? How would it be any different compared to the plugin. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, narnz said:

Wanna first thank you for the good work you do with Launchbox! 

With #7 Game time tracking, there's already a plugin called PlaytimeTracker that does this right? How would it be any different compared to the plugin. 

That is a good point. Perhaps we should have made a note of that in the poll. We ended up putting it on the poll just because of the number of votes it has on BitBucket.

• Like 1

Great work everyone! LB is still amazing!!!

I'm also really happy to see a minor update to ScummVM integration... adding Blade Runner as an option at some point within the last few updates....

This list is the easiest way to play ScummVM without needing batch files, etc.

Is there any way we could add these games ourselves, @Jason Carr??

Over the years, the ScummVM Team has gotten a few more games to play... like The Longest Journey, Escape from Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and Myst 3.

LB.jpg