LaunchBox Community Forums

The LaunchBox 2021 Community Poll

faeran

The 2021 LaunchBox Community Poll  

1,092 members have voted

The results of the poll will be posted after the poll is completed.

This poll is closed to new votes

Liking the RetroArch intergration and game suggestions... I however am still hoping for better marquee image support for those with streched LCD screens for marquees on an arcade cabinet. I know I am the minority here but we need atleast the ability to use a default system image for large library platforms. 

• Like 2

100% the performance for me. I find it so bad that I stopped using LaunchBox entirely. Performance in terms of both using it as a launcher (things like the speed of scrolling) and, even more so, doing anything to do the games database, which always takes forever and makes me give up.

It'd also be nice if the UI didn't put my real name on screen at all times as some kind of "thank you" for paying for the software. o.O I don't want to dox myself should I ever stream or share a screenshot of it without remembering to Photoshop it.

• Like 3

Please make your suggestion on bitbucket. Moderators are not having a field day otherwise...

It's quite simple, if you think something you thought would have been included in this year's poll, vote for it on bitbucket first.

For example this is what I just did:
https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/6160/supplements-folder

And for this year's poll, to stay on topic, I mainly would hope for even more performance* and the integrated Retroarch core updating sounds really nice, thank you! :D

*this would also include more bug-testing or? 11.12 was the only disappointment/real frustration I've ever had with LB because of the image type-change deletion bug. Otherwise I have been really happy since day 1 with all the work being done on LB/BB :)

Edited by kurzih
  • Like 2

The most important point for me is the performance improvements. The other features are nice to have, but performance is essential. I would like faster start up speeds as well as smoother performance in Launchbox, but especially BigBox, especially if you have a large collection of platforms, games and (auto generated) playlists.

7 minutes ago, SiriusVI said:

The most important point for me is the performance improvements. The other features are nice to have, but performance is essential. I would like faster start up speeds as well as smoother performance in Launchbox, but especially BigBox, especially if you have a large collection of platforms, games and (auto generated) playlists.

Agree, This should be priority No1 imo.

Big setups take forever to load up and performance can be sluggish, so any improvements would be a bonus.

• Like 1

Question: Do votes from premium license holders get weighted more heavily? Something like "Free tier: 1 votes, Regular license: 2 votes, Forever license: 4 votes" So those that financially support LB/BB the most have the most influence? If the answer is currently no, please accept this idea as a suggestion for future polls. Take it or leave it, obviously.

Maybe even an initial poll just for forever license holders that help you shape the content of it first? Just some thoughts to help engage your customers more in this process.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, Jason Carr said:

FYI, in the slightly more distant future, this Android version should be able to be ported to native Linux

Why port the Android version to Linux rather than the Windows version? With .NET a lot of the code for the Windows version would already be fully compatible with Linux, so starting with the Windows version would give you a pretty good head start. I could imagine LaunchBox having cross-platform core libraries that are shared across Windows, Linux, etc. and a separate UI layer per OS (WPF on Windows, GTK+ on Linux, etc)

If you upgrade to .NET 6.0 (which is currently in preview, shipping in November this year), you could even use the MAUI library for Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Linux support: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/maui/supported-platforms

Edited by Daniel15

The Retroarch integration feature sounds awesome, that can really help streamline the platform setup processes as it advances in future updates. I do have a question about how that would work... would it come pre-installed natively in the LaunchBox folder structure, or will we have the ability to point it to a current folder, or a choice between the two? I have a second Retroarch installation specifically for HD texture mods.

Also, a thing I would like to see with the Retroarch integration... would be a correct "bios present" field, next to a "core present (download/update [all])" field. These would be great to have in there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PanteraZombie said:

Also, a thing I would like to see with the Retroarch integration... would be a correct "bios present" field, next to a "core present (download/update [all])" field. These would be great to have in there.

This is a great idea.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 5:54 AM, Jason Carr said:

Also, FYI, in the slightly more distant future, this Android version should be able to be ported to native Linux, as well as eventually Windows for use on lower end devices. That's a ways off, but this is our current plan for lower end devices.

I'm so happy to hear that a Native Linux port is still on the cards. ??

As a BigBox License Holder who uses Linux I am truly elated.

8 hours ago, Daniel15 said:

Why port the Android version to Linux rather than the Windows version? With .NET a lot of the code for the Windows version would already be fully compatible with Linux, so starting with the Windows version would give you a pretty good head start. I could imagine LaunchBox having cross-platform core libraries that are shared across Windows, Linux, etc. and a separate UI layer per OS (WPF on Windows, GTK+ on Linux, etc)

If you upgrade to .NET 6.0 (which is currently in preview, shipping in November this year), you could even use the MAUI library for Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Linux support: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/maui/supported-platforms

Because the Android version runs on Xamarin.Forms, which is the precursor to MAUI. You cannot port the desktop version to native Linux, period, because WPF simply doesn't run on native Linux. All Microsoft's MAUI is is the next version of Xamarin.Forms, which we were already using for the Android version. It's also worth noting that we do already use quite a bit of code from the desktop version in the Android version behind the scenes.

MAUI is good, yes, but the desktop version as we know it cannot currently be built with MAUI. MAUI has come from mobile technologies, not desktop technologies.

59 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It's also worth noting that we do already use quite a bit of code from the desktop version in the Android version behind the scenes.

Ahh, I didn't realise you were using Xamarin (or whatever Microsoft call it since the acquisition) for the Android app. That makes sense!

Do you think you'll eventually use MAUI across all platforms?

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

You cannot port the desktop version to native Linux, period, because WPF simply doesn't run on native Linux.

Yeah, I just meant rewriting the UI layer to be cross-platform, and reusing all the core logic that's not part of the UI (assuming there's some separation between the UI layer and the business layer). It sounds like you're already doing something like that with the Linux version though, which is exciting :)

4. Pin-Locked Games Based On the Ratings Field - (If this feature were to win, you would gain the ability to hide or lock out games based on their content ratings, eg. ESRB)

I would love this feature, except for the Region field rather than the content rating. The lack of this feature is single-handedly keeping me from working on my setup any further Launchbox at the moment.

1 hour ago, Daniel15 said:

Ahh, I didn't realise you were using Xamarin (or whatever Microsoft call it since the acquisition) for the Android app. That makes sense!

Do you think you'll eventually use MAUI across all platforms?

Yeah, I just meant rewriting the UI layer to be cross-platform, and reusing all the core logic that's not part of the UI (assuming there's some separation between the UI layer and the business layer). It sounds like you're already doing something like that with the Linux version though, which is exciting :)

Yes, we will definitely migrate to MAUI for the Android app at some point (and thus look at a native Linux release of it). That's not really feasible for the Windows desktop, however, since we rely so heavily on WPF for the desktop theming engines. There's still nothing out there for any platform that really comes close to competing with WPF, so I don't see us navigating away from it any time soon for the desktop apps.