LaunchBox Community Forums

12.14 Beta Testing

Jason Carr

I think I've found the cause of my issue, it was the All Games view, when you set that view to be the startup view BB stops responding, and if you had it to start on All Games before updating to Beta 5 and 6, BB fails to boot.

Also, on Beta 4 when you press escape and you are in the All Games view (and have it as the default view), the options menu appears but controls don't work, you have to press escape again before you can navigate it.

Edited by Suhrvivor

11 hours ago, bberan said:

I recorded the issue here, beta 6.

Can you zip up your Data folder and send it to me in a PM?

10 hours ago, bbweiners said:

The plugin causing this for me is ListBoxScrollCenterNS_05.dll

That's good to hear. Any reason why you are using such an old .dll from the Community Theme Creator that's 2-4 years old? If you built the theme in the CTC, can you use the newest version to publish a fresh copy of the theme and see if you are still running into this issue?

8 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

I think I've found the cause of my issue, it was the All Games view, when you set that view to be the startup view BB stops responding, and if you had it to start on All Games before updating to Beta 5 and 6, BB fails to boot.

Also, on Beta 4 when you press escape and you are in the All Games view (and have it as the default view), the options menu appears but controls don't work, you have to press escape again before you can navigate it.

Which theme and view are you using in this instance?

Do you still get the same crash when using either of the default themes?

12 hours ago, kmoney said:

It is definitely some kind of controller/keyboard issue with beta 5 and 6. When I use my keyboard on those betas several inputs do not work. When I use my 360 controller it works way better but not perfect. For example I will get a double button press will register vs a single button press when I skip the startup video sending me to the game view instead of the platform view. Also when you update through BigBox the Update box takes up the whole screen where as previously the box was smaller.

Untitled.thumb.png.627e945c997e2941aaf2cf8d11a04205.png

This is definitely an odd one, especially your keyboard issues. Do you still get this when resetting your controls to default?

It's good you caught the update popup, that'll be fixed in the next beta.

11 hours ago, TheNewClassics said:

Confirming controller issue (Xbox One) on Beta 6

Just to clarify, are you confirming a controller double input press during a startup video when Big Box is starting up?

5 minutes ago, bbweiners said:

@faeran I've been creating themes for probably 5 years or so. I'm still old fashioned and just write my themes in notepad. I pretty much use the Community Theme Creator for the plugins. So, once I've created a theme, I don't update them or anything. 

Good news is as of this last beta push you don't need a plugin to get the centered text list functionality. We have a behavior you can attach to your ListBox that should do it for you.

45 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Good news is as of this last beta push you don't need a plugin to get the centered text list functionality. We have a behavior you can attach to your ListBox that should do it for you.

Do you have documentation for that?

2 hours ago, faeran said:

Which theme and view are you using in this instance?

I'm having the same issue using the ['new'] Default theme.  12.14-betas   Here's what the System Menu looks like (screenshot is just the top, left quarter of the monitor)

sysMenu.thumb.jpg.f1699fdc46d6eeef3b947990bab5e6f7.jpg

When I go into say OptionsViewTheme and hit enter to select a different theme, the screen fades but I can't see the control showing the list of themes to select from.  Though I can (blindly) move up or down and press enter and a different theme is then selected.

Scaling is set to 100% and resolution is set to 'recommended'.  Which on the cab is 1680x1050.   The same issue happens when I open BB on the connected TV (via HDMI cable).  Its scale is also 100% and recommended resolution.  1920x1080

To help test, I deleted BigBoxSettings.xml and Settings.xml from the Data folder and also deleted the  ../Themes/Default/  folder to have all 3 get recreated.  This was done after 1st checking with beta-6.  No change, same issue. 

The Old Default theme (still) works great.

I'm not sure how important this is, but following up on the ListBoxScrollCenterNS_05.dll, it only seems to crash BigBox when it starts if you are using that plugin in the SystemView.xaml file. You can use the plugin in Games or Platforms/Filters view with no issues.

1 hour ago, bbweiners said:

I'm not sure how important this is, but following up on the ListBoxScrollCenterNS_05.dll, it only seems to crash BigBox when it starts if you are using that plugin in the SystemView.xaml file. You can use the plugin in Games or Platforms/Filters view with no issues.

Sounds related to an issue that's been corrected internally and will be in the next release.

@C-Beats

One other issue I've noticed is that in Platforms views when you select a recently played game, the white box that selects the game appears to be cut off a bit at the bottom. It's like it's a few pixels too thin.

I believe this may be the same issue with the WallViews when that was first made and I had pointed it out.

Sorry Christian, I know I'm a nitpicky pain, haha.

3 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

I'm having the same issue using the ['new'] Default theme.  12.14-betas

System menu font/size and controls display Issue resolved.  Traced it down to a user created plugin .dll file. 

Plugin developers take note: The plugin (VPX High Score Viewer) was originally written as an executable WPF, for testing.  When changing the output type to a Class Library, the interface got implemented in the windows code behind class.  (window.xaml.cs)   In fact there were 2 interfaces implemented this way in the one plugin.  IGameMenuItemPlugin and ISystemMenuItemPlugin.   The plugin worked this way, but what it also did was register a window (2 actually) as a part of the plugin.  This unseen, useless and unnecessary window was being seen by the BigBox Default theme and created havoc.

The take-away, if converting from an executable, be sure to remove any and all unnecessary windows.

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

Beta 7 is out and should address a lot of the issues people were seeing with previous betas:

• Fixed: Issues starting Big Box in certain views
  • Fixed: Corrected update pop-up window
  • Fixed: Issues with the Scale and AspectRatio converters that were making the Default theme render wrong on some setups
  • Fixed: Details were not loading correctly when views were changed too quickly
  • Fixed: Pressing back from the system menu would occasionally cause an issue
  • Fixed: In some games views there could be an initial mismatch between the selected item and the game details upon first load
  • Like 2