LaunchBox Community Forums

12.14 Beta Testing

Jason Carr

I can't pin down when this started happening, but I believe it might be 12.13 onward. I've noticed sometimes when I try to open an emulator within BB using the option ("Open Xenia", etc), the window will open in the background for some reason. I have to alt-tab to it. It does not always happen, and it doesn't appear to be with certain emulators in particular. I've also noticed it when I open the folder for the game. It seems that opening any window seems to happen in the background. Not sure if it's LB related or not, but didn't have that issue in the past.

I noticed something that may not be working. I had created a playlist called Recently Added. In the past BB would play videos from games in that playlist. It doesn't seem to be doing that now with the latest beta release. 

What's funny, is another playlist I created called Recently Played, the videos work...

I figured it out. It's the good ole VLC vs WMP issue iin BB.

VLC isn't playing webm files from steam. Themes created in CTC have playback issues using VLC. Sure wish someone could find a resolution to this...:(xD

Edited by The Papaw

Beta 5 is out with the following changes:

• Improvement: A second MAME High Scores popup has been added to the default theme and is now themeable
  • Improvement: The Background Fade option is now used in the new default theme
  • Improvement: Any Image Type will now work inside of a FlowImage (for theme devs)
  • Fixed: Corrected Page Up/Down behavior in multiple views inside of Big Box
  • Fixed: Videos not resuming in different scenarios within Big Box
  • Fixed: More performance/memory usage issues.
  • Fixed: Total game count number when navigating through categories when using a text list view
  • Fixed: Showing the wrong platform or game details when navigating too quickly between views
  • Fixed: Transitions now work on the Recent game thumbnail in Platform Wheel 1 of the new default theme

While we are getting close to patching things up, there are still a few things we need to tackle before the release, so expect at least one more beta.

Thanks for everyone's help so far with this beta, your reports truly do help.

• Like 2

I just tried beta 5 and BigBox doesn't even work now. It loads the startup video, plays it for a couple of seconds then abruptly closes itself. Bigbox.exe shows on the task manager hovering around 150 MB. I have to manually kill the process to even be able to Launch LB or BB again.

I tried deleting BigboxSettings.xml in case it was a settings issue and nothing changed. Tried it on my main computer running Windows 11 and on a Laptop running a fully updated Windows 10 with the exact same BigBox (Onedrive folder sync) and same thing happened.

I ended up going back to beta 4, tried it after all this and boots up fine.

Edited by Suhrvivor

6 hours ago, C-Beats said:

@kmoney @Suhrvivor When you get the chance can you grab the latest beta and let us know if you're still encountering the issues you posted about?

I had to roll back to beta 4 because beta 5 I was only able to test one time because most of my controls would not work on beta 5 and I had to kill BIgBox in task manager on multiple occasions. The one time I was able to test it looked like the videos in the game view was resuming correctly upon exiting a game but the platform view would not resume correctly the majority of the time until I moved the wheel. Also I noticed that the game views that had the cd spinning  did not resume spinning as well upon exiting a game until I moved the wheel. This is also all with the "Skip Game Details Screen" unchecked

Beta 6 is out now with the following:

• Behavior has been added to allow for vertically centering the selected item in Big Box themes (for theme developers)
  • The CurrentDateTime binding has been added to Big Box (for theme developers)
  • Other miscellaneous changes to the Default theme
  • Fix for potential compatibility errors with some older themes

Please let us know if you guys are still getting the same startup errors in beta 6 @kmoney @bbweiners @Suhrvivor. I'm thinking there may have been an issue with the upload of beta 5, because our testing hasn't run into any of those issues.

• Like 2

Just so you don't think everyone is having issues, I upgraded to 12.14 beta 5 and have no issues starting LB/BB.  But, I also upgraded from 12.13 to 12.14 beta 5 (skipped all other betas until now) ... not sure if maybe that means anything or not. Also, while I was typing this I noticed you release beta 6.  Updated to that and still have no issues launching LB/BB.

10 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 6 is out now with the following:

• Behavior has been added to allow for vertically centering the selected item in Big Box themes (for theme developers)
  • The CurrentDateTime binding has been added to Big Box (for theme developers)
  • Other miscellaneous changes to the Default theme
  • Fix for potential compatibility errors with some older themes

Please let us know if you guys are still getting the same startup errors in beta 6 @kmoney @bbweiners @Suhrvivor. I'm thinking there may have been an issue with the upload of beta 5, because our testing hasn't run into any of those issues.

Yes I am still having same issues in beta 6. None of my controls work like pressing a button to bypass startup video or ESC which is set to my back button. The arrow keys work however to scroll the wheel. I roll back to beta 4 and do not have the startup issues.

It is definitely some kind of controller/keyboard issue with beta 5 and 6. When I use my keyboard on those betas several inputs do not work. When I use my 360 controller it works way better but not perfect. For example I will get a double button press will register vs a single button press when I skip the startup video sending me to the game view instead of the platform view. Also when you update through BigBox the Update box takes up the whole screen where as previously the box was smaller.

Untitled.thumb.png.627e945c997e2941aaf2cf8d11a04205.png

It's still crashing upon startup for me too.

I did troubleshoot it down to it being a plugin issue. I have some themes I created that use a lot of different plugins. I tried removing the plugins directory for the theme that BigBox defaults to on startup. When the plugins directory was removed, Bigbox started fine. When I put the plugins directory back in, it crashed. 

I'm guessing if @Suhrvivor tried removing the plugins directory for whatever theme he/she is using when BigBox starts, they will find that solves the crashing issue.

I reverted back to 12.14 and it's fine with the plugins.

Now the question is... What plugin is causing this???

Anyone else having an issue with menu pop-ups in BigBox. I can't unlock my setup because the box for entering the pin isn't showing (but the sounds indicating navigation still works, but i can't figure out how to type my pin blind lol) I also can't change the theme view or search with hotkeys, the menu for those are also invisible.

Edited by bberan