LaunchBox Community Forums

13.4 Beta Thread

faeran

Version 13.4 Beta 2 has been released. This beta is mostly a bug fix update to correct issues found in the Beta 1 release. This version addresses the following:

• Improvement: Clicking either the primary LaunchBox window or the Game Details pop out now brings BOTH windows to front to make it easier to use the app in that configuration
  • Fixed: LaunchBox image view not displaying correctly when using arrange by feature to arrange by anything other than title
  • Fixed: Issue with boxes being added and not being displayed in the row correctly
  • Fixed: Error message displayed in some themes while using arrange by feature
  • Fixed: Issues with scrolling stuttering in LaunchBox Image View (especially when scrolling up)
  • Fixed: Issue with the Image View not returning to the top when selecting a new filter value
  • Fixed: Videos weren't being paused before popping in Game Details causing audio to play but not video

Thanks to all that reported issues in Beta 1. We'd appreciate if you could take the time to confirm the above are corrected and let us know if there any existing issues that this beta did not address.

• Like 2
  • Game On 1

12 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Version 13.4 Beta 2 has been released. This beta is mostly a bug fix update to correct issues found in the Beta 1 release. This version addresses the following:

• Improvement: Clicking either the primary LaunchBox window or the Game Details pop out now brings BOTH windows to front to make it easier to use the app in that configuration
  • Fixed: LaunchBox image view not displaying correctly when using arrange by feature to arrange by anything other than title
  • Fixed: Issue with boxes being added and not being displayed in the row correctly
  • Fixed: Error message displayed in some themes while using arrange by feature
  • Fixed: Issues with scrolling stuttering in LaunchBox Image View (especially when scrolling up)
  • Fixed: Issue with the Image View not returning to the top when selecting a new filter value
  • Fixed: Videos weren't being paused before popping in Game Details causing audio to play but not video

Thanks to all that reported issues in Beta 1. We'd appreciate if you could take the time to confirm the above are corrected and let us know if there any existing issues that this beta did not address.

Display issues seem mostly fixed, but i have some outlier platforms that are behaving differently for some reason.

N64 still has some underlapping issues.

image.thumb.png.e63f82115ec6229e1c74d918650afe6a.png

Sammy Atomiswave too.

image.thumb.png.9607e26a99f177eab4198cff9445fee1.png

All other systems, including my snes whhich previously had both issues are fine, so not sure why N64 and Atomiswave are behaving differently.

image.thumb.png.85b7cb7685a6aa0449f7623174974715.png

1 minute ago, C-Beats said:

Is it always on the right most item? It ever happen to items in the middle of the pack?

Hmm, good eye, yeah that does seem to be the case.

However here is mame, whith a missing right image and its displaying fine.

image.thumb.png.a15770d1f1fcb5c1b8d6b38a3380a945.png

I did have a scan through all platforms, but admittedly not the whole lists as some are rather large, but it was only N64 and Atomiswave that i see it with, which doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

ress.

In new beta when switching the game details panel from  popped-out and returning it to the main LB window the audio stops playing now. However, the entire video is stopped and you have to click play or click another game. You mention "video were not being paused". Should it be stopped like this or pause briefly then return to a playing state when you return it to the main LB window? Similar to how when it is playing when in the main LB panel and you click to pop-out and it keeps playing?

Tested on 2 machines both using Default and a couple custom themes I added the pop-out code to. 

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

In new beta when switching the game details panel from  popped-out and returning it to the main LB window the audio stops playing now. However, the entire video is stopped and you have to click play or click another game. You mention "video were not being paused". Should it be stopped like this or pause briefly then return to a playing state when you return it to the main LB window? Similar to how when it is playing when in the main LB panel and you click to pop-out and it keeps playing?

Tested on 2 machines both using Default and a couple custom themes I added the pop-out code to. 

For right now it will always pause when popping in. I'm hoping to find a better way of handling that logic before final release so that if a video is playing it resumes after being popped back in.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2023 at 9:09 PM, faeran said:

Improvement: LaunchBox image views have been optimized and will now load faster

Fast is an understatement, in my test setup this feels like the speed of light! Super cool, thanks!

On 5/15/2023 at 9:09 PM, faeran said:

New Feature: The LaunchBox game details pane can now be popped out into its own window (custom themes do require updating)

As you mentioned, the new feature will only work with the very good standard themes, I will take a look today.

So far it's going very well!

I updated to 13.4 Beta 1 and now beta 2. I have found in the "ALL" platform category I have 2 images that are overlapping (might be more, it happens to be where I am currently updating information) this just started with these updates.

Overlap.JPG

Can confirm issue with images on switching platform is resolved.

While you are at the image overlapping issue, which seems to be scaling related from what I see, maybe we can get an option to scale all covers to the same size ignoring aspect ratio?
This would make things look better and avoid gaps like this:

Screenshot.thumb.png.87d403afbfe406f409c6bf06d26c706e.png

@idolfun This has been resolved internally and will be corrected in beta 3.

@Madman_DE This can be done by the theme but we don't by default since most users don't want their images stretched to a different ratio than the source image was in. This type of thing looks real bad on systems that had two completely different aspect ratios between regions or release cycles (like SNES or PS1)

Wow, game details pane pop out - thanks so much! I've long wanted a dual-screen Launchbox setup, and this now makes it possible! Very very cool!

Now to work on a game details theme that maximises the screen real estate that a second monitor affords..... :D

Edited by Retrofrogg

12 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

Wow, game details pane pop out - thanks so much! I've long wanted a dual-screen Launchbox setup, and this now makes it possible! Very very cool!

Now to work on a game details theme that maximises the screen real estate that a second monitor affords..... :D

Yup, the 1% agrees.

• Like 1

Kinda minor, but I noticed now if you add a single game, you have to go hunt for it. In the past, when you would add a single game, LB would go to it and highlight it as soon as you added it. Was nice when you say add a single windows game and then need to immediately edit it to add artwork or something.

Seems to be a bug with the current beta - when I pop the game details screen out, and maximise it on my second monitor, the Retroachievements icons go large and blurry when my mouse pointer moves over them:

890034688_Screenshot2023-05-21092255.thumb.png.04f72d61f6e0c86da90d71ea5976d2eb.png

When I select another game they return to normal, but the behaviour then repeats itself.

When I move the pane back to the same monitor as the main Launchbox window, this problem disappears.

The two monitors are running at different resolutions; could the problem be to do with that? Monitor 1 (with main Launchbox window) is running at 3840x2160, and monitor 2 at 2560x1440.

Same problem if I have the main Launchbox windows on monitor 2, and move the game details pane to monitor 1.

Edited by Retrofrogg
  • Like 1

I've been getting crashes consistently with beta 2 here. Two of the logs are below. I haven't switched my theme, it's still default, and I've made sure it's set to run as administrator FWIW. I found this pop up in other launchbox beta forums, given the google search results, but let me know if I should post this somewhere else, though.

The calling thread cannot access this object because a different thread owns it.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 13.4-beta-2
Type:    System.InvalidOperationException
Site:    Void VerifyAccess()
Source:  WindowsBase

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.VerifyAccess()
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.GetValue(DependencyProperty dp)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.Selector.get_SelectedItemsImpl()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.ListContentViewModel.Populate(List`1 newGames, String title, Guid instance, IList`1 idsToSelect, Double newScrollOffset, String overrideSortType)
   at TokenInstance.CountSupportedStub(Object , List`1 games, String title, Guid populationInstance, IList`1 idsToSelect, Double newScrollOffset, String overrideSortType, TokenInstance )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.SideBarViewModel.ForgotScopeAuthentication(Boolean readtask, Boolean issecond, Node control, Playlist map2)
   at ParamsInstance.CountSupportedStub(Object , Boolean readtask, Boolean issecond, Node control, Playlist map2, ParamsInstance )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.SideBarViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass80_0.CallScopeCallback()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.ReflectInvalidMapping(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.CallCommonAttr()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

Recent Log:

9:08:20 AM Exception

The calling thread cannot access this object because a different thread owns it.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 13.4-beta-2
Type:    System.InvalidOperationException
Site:    Void VerifyAccess()
Source:  WindowsBase

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.VerifyAccess()
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.GetValue(DependencyProperty dp)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.Selector.get_SelectedItemsImpl()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.ListContentViewModel.Populate(List`1 newGames, String title, Guid instance, IList`1 idsToSelect, Double newScrollOffset, String overrideSortType)
   at TokenInstance.CountSupportedStub(Object , List`1 games, String title, Guid populationInstance, IList`1 idsToSelect, Double newScrollOffset, String overrideSortType, TokenInstance )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.SideBarViewModel.ForgotScopeAuthentication(Boolean readtask, Boolean issecond, Node control, Playlist map2)
   at ParamsInstance.CountSupportedStub(Object , Boolean readtask, Boolean issecond, Node control, Playlist map2, ParamsInstance )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.SideBarViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass80_0.CallScopeCallback()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.ReflectInvalidMapping(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Threading.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.CallCommonAttr()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

Recent Log:

8:18:47 PM Exception

Edited by bikeking8

Version 13.4 Beta 3 has been released. This updates finishes cleaning up several issues regarding the image view not behaving correctly. This version addresses the following:

Fixed: Several arrange by groups of a single item were causing the rows to render on top of each other
Fixed: Last item in a row wasn't always resizing the row correctly
Fixed: Pressing a string of keys to jump to a game (pressing M to jump to first game starting with M for example) wasn't scrolling to the correct position
Fixed: After manually adding a new game the grid wasn't jumping to that game
Fixed: Crashes related to using an arrange by setting other than title that some themes were having
Fixed: Issue related to deleting the last item in the Game Details carousel preview

This version should correct any reported issues with image view rendering and behaving as it was in 13.3 (or better). If you still are seeing any of the reported issues, please let us know!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1