LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Jason, So I deleted all my Artwork since just started using the beta 6. Just wanted to be safe that all in right spots. Well LB seems to crash at random times when Download Metadata and Images... I just get the standard crashed close app box. Then anything downloads before crash isn't saved.

The new image priorities seem to be working good in Launchbox. I wanted to ask if this was going to be implemented into BigBox soon also? As it stands right now I have to put my 3D front boxart in the Box Front folder in order to get it to display. If not I can continue to do this, but I was wanted to ask before I start moving all my 3D front box images all around as I prefer the 3D boxart on most platforms.

In this latest update, I am no longer able to have the selected game's artwork not replace the launchbox background. I prefer it to just use the default background even when a game is selected. In the "Default Background" section, I have "Use LaunchBox Default Background" selected, and I unchecked everything in "Background Priorities" but I'm still getting a blown up cover for my background when I select a game. Unchecking all the background priorities adds a checked blank item to the list when I reopen the options, as shown in the attached image. bgpriorities.jpg Edit: Actually, it's not always using the cover image. Just seems to be a random image from the selected game.

Lmagnus87 said Big Box Theme Creator Load -> Select a Folder and fill all the fields with .xaml files values Save As -> Generate a New folder with .xaml files Save -> Saves all values to .xaml files from Selected Folder
Jason Carr said @Lmagnus87, I assume you built that screenshot in Photoshop or similar? There are a number of visual XAML editing tools available, but I will be doing some research here soon to try and find the best one and come up with a recommended solution. :)
Yes, Its just a sketch , an example to show how it could be. Only an application to read and modify values of a .xaml file with a simple and friendly UI

kmoney2315 said The new image priorities seem to be working good in Launchbox. I wanted to ask if this was going to be implemented into BigBox soon also? As it stands right now I have to put my 3D front boxart in the Box Front folder in order to get it to display. If not I can continue to do this, but I was wanted to ask before I start moving all my 3D front box images all around as I prefer the 3D boxart on most platforms.
Those image priority settings not only effect launchbox, but also BigBox. They seemed to be working correctly for me yesterday night. Were they not for you?

imdavid555 said
kmoney2315 said The new image priorities seem to be working good in Launchbox. I wanted to ask if this was going to be implemented into BigBox soon also? As it stands right now I have to put my 3D front boxart in the Box Front folder in order to get it to display. If not I can continue to do this, but I was wanted to ask before I start moving all my 3D front box images all around as I prefer the 3D boxart on most platforms.
Those image priority settings not only effect launchbox, but also BigBox. They seemed to be working correctly for me yesterday night. Were they not for you?
Not on my end as it only affected Launchbox. In BigBox the front images stayed the same even after doing a image cache refresh.

Alright, new beta is out that fixes at least some of the issues. I'm still working on things but this should be an improvement. I did add back in default platform backgrounds for Big Box which I had messed up in the last beta (platform backgrounds were not showing for games that did not have their own backgrounds). The other things I fixed were mostly surrounding random error messages and stability. Let me know what you guys are still seeing in this beta. There is some confusion in this thread surrounding how all the new image stuff works. In LaunchBox you have the new Image Type drop downs in the menus and in the toolbar on top; they are all customizable using the image priorities settings inside of the Options menu. In other words, if you want to be silly and change it up to make 3D Boxes do something completely different, like show backgrounds, you can, just by tweaking the priorities in the settings. This should provide some pretty awesome flexibility. The image priorities settings *are* used in Big Box. However, the Image Type dropdown that you see in LaunchBox has not yet been implemented in Big Box. Eventually you'll be able to press a hotkey to switch between all the image types that are available in the drop down in LaunchBox for the main images, which is what people are missing I think. That's it for now; thanks all. I have a relatively significant surprise to announce tomorrow morning in the development live stream (I know that's not really fair for people who can't attend but it will go up on YouTube soon after). :)

I just noticed the "image type" dropdown... I really like this feature. Nice to be able to change the list images on the fly in LB. My images for the platforms I had re-named are again missing after this beta... were there more changes made to the folders?

@Jason I did another test on the image priorties in BigBox and switched to all the different game views in BB and my 3D Front Box images that I have set as a priority show in every view except the game wheels view as it just shows the flat front box images. Thats why I was not seeing them before because I use the game wheels view as my default. So every view is working correctly but the game wheels view.

In beta 7, if I uncheck all back ground images (as in, I don't want any background image), it appears to create a new "blank" background checkbox in the options, which I can't deselect, which appears to be a random background maybe? Basically, I can't figure out how to make the background just my default image with no other background image when I highlight a game in the list.

@DOS76 It starts at 9:30 AM PST actually. :) @Drybonz No changes were made to the folders, can you explain what is missing/what happened? @imdavid555 Apologies, it took a little bit longer to go live than I expected. @kmoney2315 That's great to know, thanks. I apparently also screwed up the platform background defaults for games in Big Box by putting random game background images in instead of the actual platform backgrounds lol. I'll have a fix for those soon.

All images were missing for platforms I had renamed previously. I had to move all images to different folders. My original suggestion to fix this, some time ago, was to not tie the name of the platform to the folder name. In other words allow the user to change the name of the platform as it appears in the sidebar, but continue using the original platform name for folders and metadata lookup.