LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Lmagnus87 said New Kind of View for Launchbox or maybe BigBox Content View Item Tooltip
Really like this view, probably I would suggest to make the area for each game bigger (probably twice the size, or user resizable) to get a better glimpse of the art, and more game info. And besides displaying a larger cover art when hovering the mouse pointer over, probably there could be a play icon next to the cover art, so that it would play the video when hovering the mouse as well.

Every time I update LB which is frequently on multiple computers I get an error message about LB currently running UpdateError.JPG From observing this over and over I think that the update installer tries to start before LB has a chance to close so you get this message if you hit ok fast enough you can get the message to pop of numerous times sometimes but if you pause for a second or two it will only appear once. Is there anyway you could add a small delay to when the installer begins after the update is done downloading through LB and give it time to close LB before running. Do other users experience this? For me it happens across all computers and all LB instances.

DOS76 said Every time I update LB which is frequently on multiple computers I get an error message about LB currently running UpdateError.JPG From observing this over and over I think that the update installer tries to start before LB has a chance to close so you get this message if you hit ok fast enough you can get the message to pop of numerous times sometimes but if you pause for a second or two it will only appear once. Is there anyway you could add a small delay to when the installer begins after the update is done downloading through LB and give it time to close LB before running. Do other users experience this? For me it happens across all computers and all LB instances.
Yes this error has been happening to me also in the last 5 or so betas.

imdavid555 said Noticed that my box art is missing for systems with wide boxes (Snes, N64) when trying to use the the "Vertical Clear Logo" view in BigBox. Made a video of it. Issue is shown at 14 second mark and then shows it working in other views https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcVwbeC2mc4& If anyone knows a fix please let me know.
The latest beta has fixed this issue for me. Thank you Jason!

kmoney2315 said
DOS76 said Every time I update LB which is frequently on multiple computers I get an error message about LB currently running UpdateError.JPG From observing this over and over I think that the update installer tries to start before LB has a chance to close so you get this message if you hit ok fast enough you can get the message to pop of numerous times sometimes but if you pause for a second or two it will only appear once. Is there anyway you could add a small delay to when the installer begins after the update is done downloading through LB and give it time to close LB before running. Do other users experience this? For me it happens across all computers and all LB instances.
Yes this error has been happening to me also in the last 5 or so betas.
Same here, I have to click it a few times before the installation continues.

Drybonz said All images were missing for platforms I had renamed previously. I had to move all images to different folders. My original suggestion to fix this, some time ago, was to not tie the name of the platform to the folder name. In other words allow the user to change the name of the platform as it appears in the sidebar, but continue using the original platform name for folders and metadata lookup.
More problems along these same lines... because LB only allows one level of sorting, I have made two arcade platforms, "arcade - horizontal" and "arcade - vertical" so that I can separate screen orientation and still do further sorting. The problem is... because I have made custom names for these platforms, I can not download metadata or images. I have most of my images sorted by Lightspeed... however when I get a custom BB theme set up I am going to want wheel logos for my games. I don't currently have those... but I can't get search the LB games db for them because it won't recognize my platforms. Renaming the platforms causes them to get mixed together, etc... I'm bringing this up again because Jason asked for more information about the problem, above. Having your platform name tied to the media folders and metadata search causes problems. I'm trying to illustrate here some of the problems so hopefully Jason can come up with a solution. Thanks for reading.

Also, using the mouse to bring a game wheel item in bigbox to the forefront breaks the ability for the new game's images, movies, and music to load. Click on a game that is not highlighted on the wheels and it will become highlighted but won't display its content.

Hey all, new beta is out that allows for on-the-fly image switching (with hotkeys) in Big Box now as well as in LaunchBox. I also fixed a number of bugs. I have not fixed the background bug yet mentioned by @prolecat, but that is on the top of my list.

That view looks really awesome @Lmagnus87. It will probably be a while before we start adding more visual features to LaunchBox itself again, but that'll be a great path to take when we get there. If someone can add that as a ticket to Bitbucket that'd be great. Per that error on updating, it's unfortunately not an easy one to solve. We run the setup EXE from the LaunchBox/Big Box EXEs and then immediately shut them down, but of course sometimes it just takes too long to shut down, and that error message happens. Ideally we would have a way to shut down the app, then run the upgrade setup, but unfortunately with a portable application I don't know of a way to do that. I'm sure there's a solution for this out there somewhere, but it's not an easy problem to solve.

Jason Carr said @Drybonz I'm still planning on adding that "scrape as" option, thanks for the reminder. I'll see if I can sneak that in this coming week.
Thanks, hopefully "scrape as" and "find media folder names as"... that would be awesome and add a significant amount of "ease of use" for all of us guys... appreciate it.

I'm trying to straighten out my media file problems from the last couple betas, but I'm really confused about what the proper path is for "snap" and "title" images. It seems like there are a bunch of unused media folders now. Anyway, if someone can tell me the correct file path for those image types, I really appreciate it. *edit* Also... it seems like the buttons to add and delete images are gone from the "edit game" dialog in the most recent beta.

Oh, the delete button is gone...? I wonder if that was an accident. I'll let Jason know. Snap is screenshots no? Tittle images, depends. Are we talking about Clear Logo's / "Wheel Art" or are we talking about screenshots of a games title screen?

Hi @Drybonz, Snap is now "Screenshot - Gameplay" and Title is now "Screenshot - Game Title". Yes, I removed the tiny little delete and add buttons on the add/edit images because I had to make room for the longer names for the image types. So now of course you just have to get to them via right-click. I made the tool tips more prominent in add/edit to make this more obvious.